Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seen this gun? JV Dynamics...

jmleenz

What makes IPSC Modified superior to USPSA open division? What makes these guns so incredible?

What differences do you see in open guns? They're all practically the same thing. I know you can have a 5" or 4.5" gun. Serendipity, single sided mount or Jpoint. Maybe some different safeties, slide cuts, etc. They're all basically the same thing.

Now stick it in a box. What do you give up, what do you keep? Off the top of my head I can think of 5 distinctly different designs of modified guns I've seen. Using a comp, a hybrid barrel, or both, or even V8 porting. Make it a short 9mm and stuff in a LOT of rounds compared to 40. With a cmore and have a short barrel, or Jpoint and get a much longer barrel because of the box. Tons of variations. This division has more technical innovation than I see in ANY other division these days.

ETA: So I actually address the previous poster's question: It's not that the guns are superior. They aren't, hence the open gun designs you see today. It's that the gunsmithing is way cooler.

Edited by Matt Cheely

Isn't IPSC Modified like USPSA Limited/L-10 where you need .40 caliber or larger to make major. And major PF is 170 instead of 165. What would be the advantage of having a 9x19 or 38 super/sc IPSC Modified gun? And with the "must fit the box" requirement, isn't it a lot easier to fit with a Oko/Docter/JPoint instead of a C-More sight?

A member here, Kenny, built a very short 9mm Modified gun that pivoted over in the box so you could fit a 140mm mag in it with a large basepad. He was getting 24-25 rounds to a "regular" modified gun's 18 rounds of 40. He figured that you could gain enough time on splits and less reloads to overcome the minor scoring.

Modified division have some common requirements with Standard Division.

Must be 10mm or larger to score major, and must fit the box in its ready condition.

You can use 9 major or 38 super but you'll be scored minor, no matter what loads you got.

At the beginning of Modified in France, I could only stuck 16 rounds of 40 caliber in my mags because of the set up I used.

It was a very fun division (it is still !)

What makes IPSC Modified superior to USPSA open division? What makes these guns so incredible?

What differences do you see in open guns? They're all practically the same thing. I know you can have a 5" or 4.5" gun. Serendipity, single sided mount or Jpoint. Maybe some different safeties, slide cuts, etc. They're all basically the same thing.

Now stick it in a box. What do you give up, what do you keep? Off the top of my head I can think of 5 distinctly different designs of modified guns I've seen. Using a comp, a hybrid barrel, or both, or even V8 porting. Make it a short 9mm and stuff in a LOT of rounds compared to 40. With a cmore and have a short barrel, or Jpoint and get a much longer barrel because of the box. Tons of variations. This division has more technical innovation than I see in ANY other division these days.

ETA: So I actually address the previous poster's question: It's not that the guns are superior. They aren't, hence the open gun designs you see today. It's that the gunsmithing is way cooler.

Yep, what he said !

jojo's guns are simply amazing. his attention to detail and his artistic approach are 2nd to none. one day I will have him build me steel blaster. the guy is certainly not scared to remove excess weight off a gun, thats for sure! he is the goto guy for 9 major as well.

Exactly, we are in agreement. What we dont agree on is the purpose for these short guns. Any one of us can have a modified gun built today and shoot it in USPSA open division. Most don't for a very good reason. We do not have to fit our guns within a box and our current design trends suit our needs better than the so called modified guns. They are constrained, we are not. It's all perception :)