Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

High Plains Shotgun Challenge

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, can't remember Tac Auto winner, or at least it wasn't familiar to me

Yeah dont feel bad, loads of people forget who he is...I think he is some skinny guy from Corpus who wears

tight shorts to Biker bars......... :blink:

Well done Mr Gentry !! I owe you a beer amigo, (be sure to remind Kurt about this at every opportunity !)

Shame I cant beat up on you at SMM next week like at Benning, but maybe CMMG if you guys are going.

Well done Traps and Kurt - I will be at the next one !

Ok guys, Kurt and I have had our morning cup of coffee and First and foremost we want to thank the two people that made our match a success, Our sponsors and you guys the shooters!!!!!

next years has been planned out on our 4 hour drive up to Kurt's house and we think we have solved some of our problems and come up with some new ones for you guys.

we are going to TRY and post some pics, but we runs SG's much better than we run computers so,........no promises.

post-3384-1206374899.jpg

post-3384-1206374923.jpg

post-3384-1206374966.jpg

post-3384-1206374987.jpg

post-3384-1206375008.jpg

I LOVED the match!! I thought the stages were hard, but FUN, the RO's were awesome, the range is great, and the weather was perfect! I got to see all my friends....What else can I say.....mmmmm...how about....somehow the results for stage 1 and stage 5 got switched and I got ROD'S score and he got MINE!!! I had a few issues with my trusty shotgun on a couple of stages, However, my husband did very well on those stages and I got hiw scores and he got mine!!! All I can say is THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH for giving me his best scores and allowing me to finish ahead of him for once!! It was a long ride home :rolleyes:

You guys are the BEST!!!! I, too can't wait for next years match

THE SPONSORS ARE INCREDIBLE!!! I couldn't believe how much the sponsors put into this match...I didn't expect so much and all I can say is THANK YOU SO MUCH, YOU ARE THE BEST!! I already use their products and I will continue to use them AND recommend them!!

Hey, how about that 10/22 conversion? I am lusting after a red one!! Tim and Nordic Components, thank you for letting us play with it...Gary Coker and LaRue Tactical, your targets rock!!

Cheryl :)

Trapr & Kurt,

Thanks again for a great match with many challenges. That's not only the the most fun I've EVER had with a shotgun, it was the best match I've ever shot - period. When are we doing it again - count me in. Only way I'll miss it is if I'm deployed somewhere.

One question - are we gonna be able to access our stage scores (raw time and penalty points) or is it just gonna be the percentage spreadsheet that's already been posted? The only suggestion I'd make for future matches is that it'd be really cool to see the actual scores (times and penalties) instead of just the percentage spreadsheet. Personally, I'd like to be able to compare my times and penalties to those of the "big dogs" to see where I can improve. Not a complaint at all, just a suggestion for future matches. Thanks again for all the hard work you guys put into this.

Doug J.

The scores were taken care of by TacPro, I do not know if they have the capacity to include stage scores but it is something we will look into for next year.

I'm glad you liked the stages and target presentation, we will be sticking with that type of set up for the future, however there will be more of a mix between short courses and medium courses and long courses, an example would be that all of these last ones were medium and long courses, short courses are generally done without need for a reload.

We will also be using only the back section of the property so that travel between stages is much shorter and you will be able to get from stage to stage quicker. We need to do something to speed things up if we are going to do 10 or more stages next year, we will have RO's shoot one day and the match will start the next.

Thanks Trapr

Trapr & Kurt,

Thanks again for a great match with many challenges. That's not only the the most fun I've EVER had with a shotgun, it was the best match I've ever shot - period. When are we doing it again - count me in. Only way I'll miss it is if I'm deployed somewhere.

One question - are we gonna be able to access our stage scores (raw time and penalty points) or is it just gonna be the percentage spreadsheet that's already been posted? The only suggestion I'd make for future matches is that it'd be really cool to see the actual scores (times and penalties) instead of just the percentage spreadsheet. Personally, I'd like to be able to compare my times and penalties to those of the "big dogs" to see where I can improve. Not a complaint at all, just a suggestion for future matches. Thanks again for all the hard work you guys put into this.

Doug J.

+1 for me on the scores, I am a number nerd , I think it helps me learn.

Thanks BIG ...Real Big for the loan of the gun so that I could try out this type shooting. I hate that I liked it so much.

I am trying to get the video of most of the stages up. -= I did not take any video of our first stage #2 at the pond

Trapr & Kurt. great match!! Kudo's to Bill Byrom and the TacPro staff for all their work. Outstanding stages, perfect weather and wonderfully generous sponsors made for a really good time. Looking forward to next year, and I will bring some friends.

Sounds like it was a great match.

Congrats to TINCAN !!! Third in tactcial !! Way to go Jared !! :cheers:

This is someone to keep an eye on. His shooting skills are skyrocketing. He is gonna be tough at Superstition next weekend.

Short answer is NO!, I'm sure this response will get replies from the box mag crowd though. This match was not made to prove superiority of one mechanism over another. Knowing your equipment and comfortable with it in demanding situations will always prevail, be that a box mag or tube mag gun.

I have my opinions of why box mag guns aren't THE gun right now, but they are mine and others may not agree. And as you all know I don't like being controversial :rolleyes:

My stages will always be IPSC type stages, because we need more US shooters to shoot IPSC type matches, and the only way to do it is to get people comfortable with those type stages.

Get used to No Shoots, they will always be out there.

Trapr

Did the box magazine folks establish their superiority over the tube magazine shooters? If not, why? Tell me tell me tell me. The suspense is killing me.
Mark Otto was second in open shooting a saiga, highest finishing saiga in tactical was 11th I think, so I guess you wouldnt say they stole the show.------------Larry

I would say that having a box mag at a match with this much ammunition selection would be a detriment. Switching back and forth between bird, buck and slugs on a stage is definitely not a forte of the box mag. A straight 24 round bird shot USPSA type stage, sure. Shoot a couple slugs, shoot a bunch of bird, shoot some more slugs, not so much. I think for IPSC type shooting, box mag = or less than tube. For USPSA, still in the air.

OK OK I Loved the no shoot targets. I have some Video up on YouTube seach under AlamoShooter -High Plains. The loading with a tube was not as dificult as I thought it would be on the move. This was my first Shotgun match of this type and with minor guidance from Benny and Larry and Trapr coached me for a few hours. I shot a loaner gun in the match. I sufferd a bit from "Slow learner Syndrone" -AKA = Jamie Brain- . Any way If a mag fed gun and the Benelei was on the table to pick form for this type match. I would pick the Benelei even with the unloaded gun starts.

That Is my take as a Newbie = that knows nothing but nothing.

Stage 7 had slug targets at the start =(two) of them and after that a bunch of (Shot) targets spread out on the 200 yard road ...'Sandy up hill road'. If you shot and hit a (Shot Target) with a slug = you got a DQ. the last two targets were Slug as well one of them was a clay bird on a stick at 12 yards> IF you shot the clay target with shot you got a miss a + three or four other penalties adding up to about 50 seconds time. They had a paper target behind the clay to be a wittness to if you shot it with Shot. the Larue Slug target was out at about 50 yards hidding by a tree.

So The shooter had to decide what to load at the start to hit to two long slug targets just two and run up for a closer shot if you missed or load more Or ..or ...or. Most of us missed the longer shot and ran up after taking the req engagment from the box.

Any way I kept up by loading two or three rounds every time I moved my feet more than four steps.

The worst thing I did during the match was not know the equipment, run past a small plate, and look at the no shoot targets. .... <_< and not keep my mouth shut of course :blush:

Alamo

Stages 6 & 7 looked long & fast moving stages & not one's I would have thanked you for as an RO but looked fun to shoot :wacko:

Hope to see more video of this match.

Well done to Trapr & Kurt I would have enjoyed this match amigo's, maybe next time !

See you guys in a few weeks.

N

Edited by Neil Smith

7 was long the RO thought the run was at least 200 yards my guess was 150. The Ro-s tag teamed the stage and they were very good, All of the ROs were good. I did not get a shot at one of the small plates on stage 7 (I ran past it) =At the end of the stage after I showed clear ...The RO lead into ...= " Now... back down the road",... :blink: (I thought he was going to DQ me or something he seamed so Depressed :unsure: . ..... thin he tells me I went past the target with and he has to give me a failure to engage. = He looked like it was his fault, and he was more unhappy about it than I was.

I am going to try my other computer to see if it will load the video any better = this one keeps failing.

I did not know most of the guys on the squad and was hesitant to ask to video them so I only got a few of the guys.

I have one of Kuan shooting stage 6 AKA "The Slug Trail" and Greg from Larue and Jeff = that one it loaded now.

other than that it is just me and Doug and Big Jim on stage #3

Stage 6 the run was only about 45 yards but the path wound around.

7 was long the RO thought the run was at least 200 yards my guess was 150. The Ro-s tag teamed the stage and they were very good, All of the ROs were good. I did not get a shot at one of the small plates on stage 7 (I ran past it) =At the end of the stage after I showed clear ...The RO lead into ...= " Now... back down the road",... :blink: (I thought he was going to DQ me or something he seamed so Depressed :unsure: . ..... thin he tells me I went past the target with and he has to give me a failure to engage. = He looked like it was his fault, and he was more unhappy about it than I was.

I am going to try my other computer to see if it will load the video any better = this one keeps failing.

I did not know most of the guys on the squad and was hesitant to ask to video them so I only got a few of the guys.

I have one of Kuan shooting stage 6 AKA "The Slug Trail" and Greg from Larue and Jeff = that one it loaded now.

other than that it is just me and Doug and Big Jim on stage #3

Stage 6 the run was only about 45 yards but the path wound around.

I'd like to be able to show that vid,,, to my kids,, when it is posted.

Jim Ammo AKA Big Jim

Had a great time, even when Liota tried to move the start box up to the "Lady's tee" spot using only her toe (and her other toe, and her face as the legs of a triangle). Wish my shotgun (formerly known as "old reliable") had worked, though.

As far as the "superiority" thing...in that most of the mag fed guys were VERY casual shotgun shooters, finishing as high as they did shows that technology can keep up with skills ;)

Since the match was pretty set up in blocks of "four", and had plenty of opportunity to reload on the the way to the next batch of targets, there wasn't much advantage to a modern gun over the antiques. Sort of like shooting a Cowboy Action match...everything laid out in "fives"...or a match set up by a single stack shooter...everything in "8"...definitely set to favor the 9-round gun hand-fed four at a time.

I like a lot of movement, which this game had in droves...along with consistantly entertaining, stage to every last stage, friendly RO's. Easily the most consistantly excellent RO crowd I've seen, outside my home section. JAMES DARST even RO'ed a stage. My squad immediately demanded that he give us all "doubles" and "reshoots" in his honor :ph34r:

Thanks to all the sponsors, too! I really like my new Nordic 10/22 :cheers:

I'll bring a working gun to the next match...or a hammer double. They always go "bang" :blink:

Alex

More video is loaded to You Tube Big Jim is blasting stage 3 I still have a video of Doug on stage 1 and 3 to up-load

I have at least one video of each stage less stage #2 at the pond.

Go to You Tube and search "AlamoShooter" High Plains Shotgun and or IPSC Shotgun Challenge.

JF

Edited by AlamoShooter

Hey Jamie,

Great videos - thanks for posting them. Seeing yourself on film is pretty interesting - noticed lots of things to improve on that I didn't even realize I was doing. Got to practice reloading more smoothly and reloading on the move.

One thing I noticed when I searched for "AlamoShooter" is that only three videos came up, but when I clicked on your username at the top of the page - it let me see all the videos you've posted. I'm a YouTube noob, so that might be normal??

Thanks again,

Doug