Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Visualization

Rocket35

I was wondering if you guys could share your tips and experience with me here. The big question is this: Is your prestage visualization in slow motion or realtime? I seem to be able to visualize more detail in slow motion. Thanks.

Edited by Rocket35

I do it in few steps:

In slow:

a. movement to shooting positions

b. stopping positions

c. targets, where they are an sequence

d. out of positions

e. hits-2A( I should do it more)

Then I try to faster everything. Making about 10-30 rehersals deppending on stage difficulty.

But what I know, I am only beginner shooter, but visualization helped me a lot in my performance, that is for sure! I like that feeling, when you do not remmember what you just done.

My first visualization is usually in slow motion with lots of detail. I feel my feet plant, I'm aware of where I'm holding the gun as I enter the next shooting position (is it chest high or already extended?), where my reload was started and where I was located when it finished.

If I have any rough patches, I re-do it in slow motion until I get it right. Then I repeat a little faster. Then again and again. By the time I'm on deck, I cam run it through my mind at full speed (plus a little, my optimistic side).

Unless I'm one of the first three or four shooters, I'll spend a lot of time downrange taping targets and setting steel to get a good feel for the stage. While taping I do nothing to hold up the stage, but will occasionally glance over my shoulder back to where I will be shooting the target from.

Seems to work for me. I think this helps me avoid 180 degree DQ's (never had one) and forgotten targets (have not had one in quite a long time).

Bill

Visualization isn't only for the match - take a recent stage that you had trouble with and visualize it perfectly before you go to bed. Or reinforce a smoking run, reliving it in slow mo. When I'm stuck somewhere (dentist, etc), I'll try to visualize a perfect sight picture and see how long I can hold it.

At the match, I tend to do slo-mo and imagine the feel of the movement (pushing off with a certain leg, dropping weight to float into a position).

Another thing to remember is to visualize the the stage from beginning to end every time.

If while running the "tape" in your head you "pause" or are distracted and do not finish the stage

there is a chance your game plan will fall apart at that point.

Patrick

Tip #29: Progressive visualization for a stage

By Saul Kirsch- Updated 11.01.08

In IPSC shooting we get to shoot the stage for real only once. This is a basic requirement of our sport, that hails from the practical days of IPSC - you face a challenge, and you have one shot to resolve it, and that is how you are scored.

Much is written about the importance of shooting subconsciously, and rightfully so. IPSC is too complicated a game to consciously think your way through it step by step. Your shooting has to be subconscious, or it will never be really good. To this end we practice our skills again and again - after all, repetition is what build subconscious skills.

But then, how can we possibly run through the stage subconsciously if we cannot do repetitions, if we must shoot it only once?

The answer is - VISUALIZATION. You have to shoot the stage in your mind many times before you shoot it for real, in a way, building your subconscious route through the stage, so that when you come to shoot it for real, you do not have to think about where the targets are, or where you are heading next. This is critically important for having an excellent performance. And this visualization should be done progressively.

Internal or external visualization?

There are two ways to visualize yourself perform: External is the point of view of a camera, as if someone was recording your shooting from a spectators view point. Internal is visualizing the stage as you will see if through YOUR eyes, as you shoot, from behind the gun sights. Internal visualization is certainly the better option for stage preparation, because after all, you are preparing for a performance, and you want to do your repetitions in a realistic manner, as you will later see them for real.

Progressive visualization

Progressive visualization is about the steps that we take as we prepare. All these steps should be taken after you have had the chance to walk the stage and see where all the targets are.

Step 1: visualize in slow motion, while standing behind the tape and looking at the stage. Having the stage in front of you helps you keep your visualization correct as you memorize the stage layout and target positions.

Step 2: real time visualization while looking at the stage. You keep your eyes open and on the stage, and increase the speed of your mental run through the stage until you are doing it in real time. With practice you will reach a point where you can accurately predict your time on the stage using this method, which is handy for factor calculations prior to shooting.

Step 3: Close your eyes, or turn away from the stage and try to run through the stage in slow motion "seeing" everything in your mind.

Step 4: Increase the speed of your mental visualization, without looking, until you can run it through at real time.

Only when you can run through the stage in your mind, at real speed with your eyes closed, not looking at the stage - are you truly ready to shoot.

How many repetitions does this take? Well, that greatly depends on the shooter, and on the complexity of the stage. A simple stage may require only 5 or 8 mental repetitions for an experienced shooter to prepare him. But I can recall complicated stages which I rehearsed 50 times or more before shooting them!

Don't be lazy! Doing good preparation is critical in our sport. Good luck.

I reposted the tip here, because this is EXACTLY the answer I was looking for! Thanks again Ramas. Saul Kirsch again describes what I need to know in perfect detail! :)