Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super, 38 Super +P, 38 Super Comp

Peakbagr

Can someone explain the differences between the 3? I'm guess the +P is just a stouter case for the regular 38 Super? Does the 38 Super Comp have a different case size?

Can you use the same size dies for all 3 and load the Super Comp in a 'regular' 38 Super gun?

I'm asking as I'll be ordering a gun in 38 Super and did not want to make a mistake in ordering brass, bullets or dies.

I looked around on the site but couldn't find the answers so hope you guys don't mind the really basic questions.

Thank you.

Can someone explain the differences between the 3? I'm guess the +P is just a stouter case for the regular 38 Super? Does the 38 Super Comp have a different case size?

Can you use the same size dies for all 3 and load the Super Comp in a 'regular' 38 Super gun?

I'm asking as I'll be ordering a gun in 38 Super and did not want to make a mistake in ordering brass, bullets or dies.

I looked around on the site but couldn't find the answers so hope you guys don't mind the really basic questions.

Thank you.

I see the other questions have been answered so I'll try to hit on the one left. The difference between a gun setup to run Super and one for Supercomp is how the extractor is tuned. Some guns will run both rounds without changing anything, but that might not be ideal since it's not exactly perfect for either one. If the extractor is perfect for one, it might run with the other, but it might not. There are two reasons SC is often preferred....it stacks and feeds a little better from the magazines since there isn't enough rim to get hooked on another round and you might get an addional round in your big stick from the space saved from not having the semi-rim.

Regarding 38sc vs. 38s setups, I'm having an 38sc built by SV, and they said they'll be using a 9mm breechface. I'm assuming you can't shoot .38super with that breechface?

You can shoot both from the same breech face. I have three guns that have both 38 Super and 9mm barrels fitted. You can't use the same magazines however. You will have to have both 38 Super mags and 9mm mags.

Regarding 38sc vs. 38s setups, I'm having an 38sc built by SV, and they said they'll be using a 9mm breechface. I'm assuming you can't shoot .38super with that breechface?

You can shoot both from the same breech face. I have three guns that have both 38 Super and 9mm barrels fitted. You can't use the same magazines however. You will have to have both 38 Super mags and 9mm mags.

Strange on the STI gun I can used the same mag's for my 38SC and my Stinger 9mm minor.....actually most of it lately is even short loaded Factory ammo??

I would say you can use the same mag's if SVI no need for spacer or SPS for that matter, because those are the one I'm using with good success...

The 38 super and +P are both the same, and was given the +P to keep people from trying to fire 38 ACP guns with the 38 super ammo. The 38 ACP and 38 super are both exactly the same and to keep people form firing tbe 38 super in older 38 ACP gun the manufatures put the +P on the cases to help spot out super cases from 38 ACP. The super comp is just a rimless super case.

There is also the TJ from starline which a semi rim version....it work in Super comp gun.....some of my body's 38 Super borrow some ammo from me and it work fine in there gun, my Super Comp won't.

A TRUE 9mm breechface will run super comp but not Super. Well, it might run, strange things happen, but it isn't a good idea. 9mm or super comp on a TRUE super breechface works a lot better than the other way around.

Let's take things one step further...What adjustments to my gun do I need to make, if any to shoot 38sc in 38s?

The only adjustment, assuming the load is the same, would be the extractor. Depending on how worn or modified your extractor may be then the only adjustment may be tension. Note, that you not have to do anything. Try it first. You likely may have to increase the tension, but not by much. Also, when doing your testing, make sure that both the .38SC and the .38 S brass are new, or at least not beat to hell. You do not want an unknown variable between brass, then make adjustments to your gun.

MJ