Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock for open ?

uscbigdawg

Kyle,

You're speaking Greek. I don't know jack doodilly poo about Glocks other than shooting them.

Rich

Flex is referring to a model with 3 pins in the frame vs. an older model with only two. Here is a pic of a 3 pin gun:

post-6798-1199027577.jpg

Thanks. It's what I figured after looking at a schematic.

Frankly, if I could get answer to two things, I'd just get a dedicated upper built.

1 - How are LWD slides vs. Caspian? Also is there a source for stock G17 slides?

2 - Is having holes in your frame from a SJC scope mount a no-go in Production?

Thanks,

Rich

Edited by uscbigdawg

Frankly, if I can just get a LWD or Caspian G17 slide and build an alternate upper, I'd be content with that. A G34 should be 3-pin. Anyone have experience with the LWD slides or where I can get a stock G17 slide?

Rich

Speak with John Nagel or Steave Breeding of S&J Customs, they can advise on Open Glock and I believe they may also have OEM slides that they need to move.

See

www.GlockJockey.com

or

http://www.glockjockey.com/index.html

both will get you to them

Speaking of Open Glocks. I plan to have one this summer. Charlie Vanek is building them on new G17's. Going to the dark side has been a hard decision. But, I see targets perfectly. Front sights? Not so much anymore.

Jim M

G34 won't take the 9mm Major and have the slide survive. Stick with a NIB G17 for this project. As AD Mil, you can pick up a G17 through the LEO/MIL program for about $450 new.

Having a hole drilled in the receiver will disqualify a glock from production. John tighten's the slide rails and then fits them to the receiver, so you would probably not want to start swapping slides with that receiver anyway.

Kenny P - I'm not nor have I ever been a fan of slide mounting a dot. I don't see it being an advantage since your sighting platform is moving in recoil. On a well comp'ed gun, you can track the dot within the glass and can therefore be much more fast accurate with subsequent shots and transitions (although I will be playing with a more target focus where I will be more "pointing" the gun, than aiming the gun).

This however though is why the SJC add-on mount/comp thing is pretty sweet. Using a JPoint or Docter, super low mounted/closer to the bore, definitely makes for easier transitions between Open & Limited/Production (L-10 is stupid). The dot is now isolated from the reciprocating parts and is super low.

I'm not ruling out just going to a CCF frame, if only for the rigidity & weight. It's about my only 2 issues with the Glock's....but they are fun.

Rich

This however though is why the SJC add-on mount/comp thing is pretty sweet. Using a JPoint or Docter, super low mounted/closer to the bore, definitely makes for easier transitions between Open & Limited/Production (L-10 is stupid). The dot is now isolated from the reciprocating parts and is super low.

Ahhh, you found it. I was about to post a link.

I wish these were available when I built my race gun. I've already got a KKM threaded barrel, doctored 9mm Major comp, and Carver mount. I'd lose a bunch of money selling all that and starting over from scratch with the new mount/comp. I'm thinking about modifying the Carver for mounting a C-More sideways like some of the 1911 guys are doing.

So where can one score a G17 cheap, unless my BE'ers happen to be selling one?

Thanks,

Rich

You may want to contact Charlie Vanek at vanekcustom.com

Charlie is building GLOCK open guns based on the G17 and may have one ready to go.

Edited by baerburtchell

I'd stay away from the Caspian Glock slides just yet. My understanding is that there are some dimension issues that make them a little difficult to fit just yet. I know Caspian has been working with a smith on this and hopefully the next run will be up to their normal kick ass standards. I'm not sure about the LWD slides. I've been trying to get ahold of JR for a couple weeks now but haven't been able to connect. Stay away from the 34 for anything open related. The slide was internally lightened in a bad spot and will break under heavy major use. All of the SJC guns that I've seen have been outstanding. I borrowed one for a GSSF match last year and posted my best time (by about 11 seconds) without ever shooting the thing before. And this was over my 34 open gun.

So where can one score a G17 cheap, unless my BE'ers happen to be selling one?

Thanks,

Rich

You may want to contact Charlie Vanek at vanekcustom.com

Charlie is building GLOCK open guns based on the G17 and may have one ready to go.

I think that it is intresting that Charlie V. uses alot of S&J parts to build his Guns.

I built a low budget open Glock 17 upper myself on my production receiver.

No problems after 2000 major rounds.

I'm using my production gear in open so it's like shooting production with no

no reloading, very little recoil. Not even using a magwell yet! What a kick to shoot!

When I want to go back to production, just attach the G34 upper.

After you find a G17 upper or slide, do the following.

Get a threaded drop in barrel from KKM or LWD. Make sure it is throated to accept longer OAL. Both are well supported for major.

Put in a uncaptured tungsten guide rod with 13lb ISMI spring.

Get a major comp. I have had no problems attaching a threaded comp just using a loctited set screw. It stays put and you can remove it.

Attach an optical sight. I prefer the slide mounted so I can use my production holster.

Get a magwell.

That's it and have fun!!

If anything breaks, just drop in a new part and keep shooting.

No gunsmith needed......priceless!!!!

Edited by coltgov