Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 1911?

Not so much a beginner here, but my work schedule just doesn't support a lot of practice. I shoot mostly IDPA and some USPSA. I purchased a S.A. 9mm 1911 mostly for IDPA ESP division. I had been using a 16 year old CZ converted to SA only. I have 4 years practice behind the CZ and it works just fine. I love the way the 1911 feels, like a .22 with the right loads. I'm just not slick with it and I'm not sure I want to shoot like a novice until I build up the practice time with it. It is accurate and reliable but, would I be crazy to sell it? Also, if I keep it, what grip safety would you reccomend for a guy with long bony fingers? When I grip high solid depression of the grip safety is not assured.

Not so much a beginner here, but my work schedule just doesn't support a lot of practice. I shoot mostly IDPA and some USPSA. I purchased a S.A. 9mm 1911 mostly for IDPA ESP division. I had been using a 16 year old CZ converted to SA only. I have 4 years practice behind the CZ and it works just fine. I love the way the 1911 feels, like a .22 with the right loads. I'm just not slick with it and I'm not sure I want to shoot like a novice until I build up the practice time with it. It is accurate and reliable but, would I be crazy to sell it? Also, if I keep it, what grip safety would you reccomend for a guy with long bony fingers? When I grip high solid depression of the grip safety is not assured.

Any of the "raised hump" type grip safeties will make depressing the grip safety easier. Also, a slight modification to the grip safety will require only minimal depression. An aftermarket grip safety may require some fitting, and if a .250 radius grip safety then frame modification is required.

MJ

One thing to make sure you do a lot of is dry fire. That will help you get familiar with the gun and help you practice getting that grip safety engaged. Good thing about dry fire is that it is inexpensive and you can do it in the house without freaking out the wife and neighbors thus precipitating a visit from the local constabulary (if done properly that is).

The "speed bump" and similar grip safeties go a long way to helping make sure the grip depresses it.

Should you decide to sell the 9mm 1911 I think you will find it easy to sell. Those are somewhat difficult to find these days.

Good luck!

keep the gun!

as for installing a different grip safety, IIRC the radius on the frame tang of the springfield is different compared to the other 1911's out there. it'll require some welding of the frame tangs to make it look asthetically pleasing (i think some aftermarket grip safety fits but with huge gaps in certain areas). i'm not 100% sure but hopefully one of the smiths here can verify that.

doesn't the S.A. 9mm grip safety come with a speed hump? If theres no "speed hump" on your current grip safety, talk to a local gunsmith and see if he can weld up a hump on your current grip safety or have him install a new grip safety. i'm thinking the addition of a larger hump will be cheaper than installing a new one and having to redo the frame tangs. or you can pick up a factory S.A. grip safety w/ hump and be done with it.

nice to have choices :)

keep the gun!

as for installing a different grip safety, IIRC the radius on the frame tang of the springfield is different compared to the other 1911's out there. it'll require some welding of the frame tangs to make it look asthetically pleasing (i think some aftermarket grip safety fits but with huge gaps in certain areas). i'm not 100% sure but hopefully one of the smiths here can verify that.

doesn't the S.A. 9mm grip safety come with a speed hump? If theres no "speed hump" on your current grip safety, talk to a local gunsmith and see if he can weld up a hump on your current grip safety or have him install a new grip safety. i'm thinking the addition of a larger hump will be cheaper than installing a new one and having to redo the frame tangs. or you can pick up a factory S.A. grip safety w/ hump and be done with it.

nice to have choices :)

Simplest thing is just to fit the internal device that presses against the firing mechanism until it activates with just the slightest nudge.

BTW all mine are deactivated.

Sounds like he'll be using it in IDPA more than IPSC so the deactivation route isn't an option.

• 1 month later...

Late reply but hopefully useful. I've found getting the right grip feel to make a significant different in how the gun responds. Take advantage of the options the 1911 frame provides and find grips that feel like they were made just for your hand. Life becomes sweet shortly thereafter...

Leam