Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to do in Maui or KUai in May

On Maui you should look up HI-5O and shoot a match. Find an outfitter and do a night dive to watch the giant manta ray feed. Maybe surf, not sure about the waves in May but check it out. And by all means watch sunsets while drinking things with umbrellas in them. Oh, yeah, almost forgot; since your wife will be in tow, probably better lay off drooling while watching the girls.... :)

When my wife wakes up I will get her to give me the name of the tour book we had last year in Kuai. We've been there twice. There is'nt much nightlife on the Island, but it is sure our favorite as it is the slow paceed island. I was stationed at Schofeild Barracks in '88-'90. After visiting many of the islands I found Oahu, and Maui to be the more partying and nightlife friendly, while Molokai, Kona, and Kuai were more the take it easy islands. If you like to be treated politely and are polite yourself, Kuai is nicer as the locals treat you kindly if you are patient and again polite. Anyway, that book was the ticket as it showed you all the best beaches, told you of the local dangers, and even showed you where to get cheaper food. Jimmy

On Maui you should look up HI-5O and shoot a match. Find an outfitter and do a night dive to watch the giant manta ray feed. Maybe surf, not sure about the waves in May but check it out. And by all means watch sunsets while drinking things with umbrellas in them. Oh, yeah, almost forgot; since your wife will be in tow, probably better lay off drooling while watching the girls.... :)

Yeah I don't want her killing me befor we get home. This is going to be a trip partly for our 17 th aniversary and I think shooting is going to be off the table. The night dive sounds awsome.

When my wife wakes up I will get her to give me the name of the tour book we had last year in Kuai. We've been there twice. There is'nt much nightlife on the Island, but it is sure our favorite as it is the slow paceed island. I was stationed at Schofeild Barracks in '88-'90. After visiting many of the islands I found Oahu, and Maui to be the more partying and nightlife friendly, while Molokai, Kona, and Kuai were more the take it easy islands. If you like to be treated politely and are polite yourself, Kuai is nicer as the locals treat you kindly if you are patient and again polite. Anyway, that book was the ticket as it showed you all the best beaches, told you of the local dangers, and even showed you where to get cheaper food. Jimmy

I would apriciate that. I lived in Kaneohe from 83 to87 and found that if you treat the locals well life could be very good and if you did not.....I think I was very nice to them. They are some of the most generous people that I have ever met.

If you're coming all this way, see both islands. They are both unique in there own ways. Great deals on inter-island flights if you keep watching.

http://www.iflygo.com/

http://www.hawaiianair.com/Pages/Index.aspx

http://www.alohaairlines.com/home/home.php

If coming to Maui, +1 on contacting HI5-0 and shooting a match with us. Every Sunday except the first Sunday of the month.

If you want to pick up this DVD, it shows all the cool stuff to do on Maui.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-4...gt_adv_XSNG1060

Aloooooooooooooha,

DonT

Edited by DonT

This is going to be a trip partly for our 17 th aniversary and I think shooting is going to be off the table.

17 years. You should know by now how to deal with this. :rolleyes: Whatever resort you will be staying at, you treat your wife to a day at the spa while you go shoot. You're a hero. :wub:

first off get this book

http://www.amazon.com/Maui-Revealed-Ultima...d/dp/0971727902

just be aware, many of the off the beaten path trails they write about are on private lands, and the owners are getting pissed about it. I've lived here all my life and agree on most thing in the book, at least the thing I know about, there is a ton on info about thing I never heard of.

thing to do on Maui, visit the Haleakala National Park, ether for sunrise or sunset, unbelievable views of the island from 10,000 feet. a day trip to Hana, 30 miles of bad road thru a tropical rain forest, if they have the road repaired by then, don't turn around in Hana, just keep going strait thru past the 7 pool, on to Kaupo gap and you"ll get back to town.

Maui has way nicer beaches than Kauai, and most of the resorts are built by the best ones :(

if your thinking of going on a snorkel cruise, check the weather report before you book one, it's usually windy in May, and if the winds up, they take you to a sheltered spot 50 yards from the Honoapiilani hwy instead of your destination and not give your a refund.

and lastly, as you drive to Lahaina on the H-piilani hwy, just ignore the UKUMEHAME FIRING RANGE sign as you drive past.

first off get this book

http://www.amazon.com/Maui-Revealed-Ultima...d/dp/0971727902

just be aware, many of the off the beaten path trails they write about are on private lands, and the owners are getting pissed about it. I've lived here all my life and agree on most thing in the book, at least the thing I know about, there is a ton on info about thing I never heard of.

thing to do on Maui, visit the Haleakala National Park, ether for sunrise or sunset, unbelievable views of the island from 10,000 feet. a day trip to Hana, 30 miles of bad road thru a tropical rain forest, if they have the road repaired by then, don't turn around in Hana, just keep going strait thru past the 7 pool, on to Kaupo gap and you"ll get back to town.

Maui has way nicer beaches than Kauai, and most of the resorts are built by the best ones :(

if your thinking of going on a snorkel cruise, check the weather report before you book one, it's usually windy in May, and if the winds up, they take you to a sheltered spot 50 yards from the Honoapiilani hwy instead of your destination and not give your a refund.

and lastly, as you drive to Lahaina on the H-piilani hwy, just ignore the UKUMEHAME FIRING RANGE sign as you drive past.

Thank you for the info. I'll Check out the book this week. :devil: Now If I could just find a way to leagally sneak my blaster into my suitcase with out my wife finding out :devil::ph34r::ph34r:

For the past 5 years or so we or just I have ended up going to a karate tounament on our aniversary. :cheers::cheers: I promised her this on would be different and I don't think shooting is what she had in mind. :blink: I think a sunsed at the top of the island will earn me enought points for many years to come :devil::ph34r:

I've seen that sign on my 2 visits to Maui. Is that where you guys shoot USPSA matches?

That's the place :)

On Kauai make sure you take a helicopter tour, so much of the island is basically inaccessible by any other means. My favorite part of the island is the Princeville area/Hanalei bay.

take some lessons and go wind surfing. some of the best freestyle wind surfers in the world are in Maui, Hokepa Bay (I'm shure I spelled it wrong )is great.

Go to the big island for the day and see voulcano park it's pretty cool.

On Kauai make sure you take a helicopter tour, so much of the island is basically inaccessible by any other means. My favorite part of the island is the Princeville area/Hanalei bay.

+1 on Princeville and Hanalei Bay

We did our honeymoon in '01 there. We did 5 days on Kauai at the Princeville and 6 days at the Kea Lani in Wailia. That split was perfect for a honeymoon as Kauai felt pretty remote and gave us a nice spin-down from the wedding. By the time we hit Maui we were ready for more activity and it was all there. Here's what we liked:

Kauai

====

1) Helo ride - great views of places you can't get to

2) Kayaking/Snorkel trip near Princeville down a river into the Hanelei Bay. We didn't want to snorkel at our resort beach so we figured we'd take a kayak/snorkel tour to a better spot. Turns out, we kayaked right to our beach front paid to snorkel at our own beach....figures :blush:

3) Princeville Resort Luau - http://gohawaii.about.com/od/kauaiphotos/i...le_resort_luau/ You do not need to be a guest at the resort to attend. This food was the best we had the whole trip.

4) We tried a horse trip, but we got rained out. You may want to factor the rain risk into any planned activity.

Maui

====

1) Haleakala bike tour - my wife thought I was crazy making her get up at 3am to ride up in a van to the top of the crater rim and watch the sunrise. It was fridgid, but the view was incredible and the ride down was very fun.

2) Lahainia Luau - this was large, but nowhere near as good as the food we had at the Princeville on Kauai.

3) Helo ride - good, but less scenic than Kauai since the island is pretty much just a dome. Kauai has sheer mountain cliffs on the north side.

4) Snorkel/Speedboat trip - I just wanted to go snorkeling but ended up booking this combo. The boat was a wave jumper as it turned out. We then stopped at two spots to snorkel. By the second top, my wife and I were the only ones who wanted to go in the water and had the whole area to ourselves. Pretty surreal. I would not recommend the HUGE snorkel boat trips as they are very crowded. We only had a dozen people or so in our group which was great.

5) We got roped into doing some broadway type show because they hyped it so much. Not fun at all

6) Lahaina night spot

From what I heard at the time the snorkel trips to the northwest area of Maui were very good, but we did not have time for it.

Hope that helps...seems like it was just yesterday....

Aloha Shadetree,

If you choose Maui, come shoot with us. I have extra blasters (open, limited, production) and ammo you can use, jus gotta bring your rig.

Everyone has given you a lot of stuff you can do and see. Only the bicycle tours (down a volcano) cannot operate out of Haleakala National park for the rest of this year and I don't know how long into next year. Hiking through the volcano is good too, or if you don't want to exert yourself, spend the money on a helicopter tour. Sunrise at the top of the crater is neat, sunset is good too if you can't/don't want to wake up early.

May is a great time to visit either island (before the summer crowd) and maybe the Hawaii Superferry will still be running between Maui, Oahu and Kauai. Surf should be mild so it is easier to learn (hang ten dude).

17th anniversary, congrats :cheers: and by this time I think your better half will let you run away for half a day to shoot, jus give her a credit card preferably one with a low limit :ph34r:

Lots of good food here, we can take you to some ethnic places and not tell you what you're eating :lol:

If you are a member of AAA, get the travel book and maps from them. If not, you should join just to get the maps/books for all of your travels.

You will probably Google stuff so I think it would help if you could spell and say (kinda) the names correctly to quicken the search:

Kauai (Cow-Eye)

Hookipa (Ho-o-key-pah) Beach Park

Haleakala (Ha-le-ah-ka-la) National Park

Kamaaina (if you don't know how to say it, don't ask for the discount)

Lahaina (La-high-na)

Aloha (aah-low-hah)

Mahalo (ma-ha-low)

Time share (lots of them on both islands)

All of the other Maui guys here can help you (DonT; rishii; gino aki) jus ask us :)

Don't forget your sunscreen and shades B)

And over here we say, "braddah" :D not "bro" ;)

A hui hou,

ba

this must be my longest post yet :huh:

Thanks for all your help. My wife is really getting excited about the trip and thanks to HI5-0 's generous offer seems to be ready to let me shoot a match while We're there :cheers: Once we finalize our plans I'll have a good Idea. Don't be surprised if I'm back looking for more info soon. I can't thank you guy's enough for your help.

Mahalo

PS It's been sooo long since I've been to Hawaii I'm really looking foward to some ono grinds. Octopuss, opio pio giant prawns mmmmmmmm. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Shadetree,

Sorry took so long to get back to you but someone has already given you the name of the book, it is " The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook Kauai Revealed"

We took our kids the last time we went, and found great things to do with that book. It has all the great beaches in it. Some of them were so small and deserted all at the same time. What you find in Kauai, that is harder to find on the other islands is the ablility to get to a beach that is often almost empty. ( many times we were the only ones around)

I hope you enjoy it as it is my favorite place to go.

Oh, and if you are at Shipwrecks and you see a one-armed surfer girl, she's the same girl that got her arm taken by the shark while surfing a few years back. It hasn't stopped her at all! ( my girls think she's amazing, heck so do I)

Also, for a cheap and easy meal, grab some meat and your favorite beverage and go to Poipu beach at sunset and Barbecue. We do that whenever we go and always have a great time just chilling and grilling!

Take care, and don't get burned, JimmyZip

Shadetree,

Sorry took so long to get back to you but someone has already given you the name of the book, it is " The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook Kauai Revealed"

We took our kids the last time we went, and found great things to do with that book. It has all the great beaches in it. Some of them were so small and deserted all at the same time. What you find in Kauai, that is harder to find on the other islands is the ablility to get to a beach that is often almost empty. ( many times we were the only ones around)

I hope you enjoy it as it is my favorite place to go.

Oh, and if you are at Shipwrecks and you see a one-armed surfer girl, she's the same girl that got her arm taken by the shark while surfing a few years back. It hasn't stopped her at all! ( my girls think she's amazing, heck so do I)

Also, for a cheap and easy meal, grab some meat and your favorite beverage and go to Poipu beach at sunset and Barbecue. We do that whenever we go and always have a great time just chilling and grilling!

Take care, and don't get burned, JimmyZip

Thanks for the info Jimmy. It's hard to get anything done this time of year :blink: I'm pretty white and we don't get much sun up here in washington so not getting burned will be a challenge. My wife on the other hand will cook up nicely.

I really enjoy bbqing on the beach. that is a killer Idea :cheers: Right now It looks like my wife wants Maui but depending on time constraints we're going to try to visit both.

Thanks again

AMC