Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kel Tec 9

mwx40x40

They are nice little guns. Larry White has one - It goes bang every time. Not near as small as the Kel Tek .380 but.. it's a real 9mm. We shot Larry's stoked with frangibles and it put a 85? grain out at 1400+. It is a handful with hot loads but it is a very small package for a 9mm.

It might be a inexpensive gun but they run. While having a BS session the other day about carry guns I pulled mine (in .380) out of my pocket and ran a few through it into the test fire tube at the shop at Triangle and, although the first shot blew pants pocket lint everywhere, it ran like a champ.

Mine gives me the warm fuzzies every time I put my hand in my pocket.... :wub:

Anybody got any experience with these? Looking for a lightweight thin concealed carry piece. Price looks right on these littles gems, but that doesn't mean a thing if they don't run.

I looked at one but went the .380 route.

Smaller, lighter, proven to function with what ever I feed it.

The 9 is just a tad too long to carry in pants pocket holster(s).

However as a 'plastic fan' they ARE tempting!

Jim .... ALL I EVER HEARD was negative things about them jamming and such, but they are so cheap I bought one for myself and quickly put over 500 rounds of factory & 50 rounds of defense ammo through it without a prob. so I even bought a 2nd. They are light and cheap, and as long as you prove it to yourself ... dependable. Very easy to carry.

Kel-Tec is a company with a *NO BS* warranty sort of like Dillon. I once lost a tiny part while cleaning it at the range (like a fool) and they said "no problem, we'll send you a new one - free".

I like that. ;)

I have both the .380 and the .9mm, both run like a top and are surprizingly accurate. The 9 rides in an ankle holster and is so light and slim you forget it is on. I have shot it quite a lot with different self defense loads and have yet to jam it.

I have both the .380 and the .9mm, both run like a top and are surprizingly accurate. The 9 rides in an ankle holster and is so light and slim you forget it is on. I have shot it quite a lot with different self defense loads and have yet to jam it.

The NEW thin 9mm , right ?

yup, the thin one, weighs about 15 oz I think.

These are great guns for an IDPA "bug" match BTW.. at our local club we almost have enough for an entire kel tec squad!

As Merlin said, I have one of the new 9s and one of the first 32s. Both are small and lite, have belt clips and easy to carry and hide. I just shove them in my waist band at the small of my back. I dont shoot them much, just a few rds now and then to make sure they work and they always do. I can bust a A zone with either one at 10 yds, combat accurate as the magazine says. Wouldnt be my first choice to take to a gun fight but they do the dinner and a movie thing well. Merlin and Benny both have 380s but Merlin dosent have a VIBRA-PRIME.-------------Larry

I had one and it was a one-hole gun at seven yards, somewhat worse at 50 feet (the farthest distance I tried it at). I put about 300 rounds of factory ammo through it, including 50 rounds of +P, and it never missed a beat. The trigger wasn't bad, about what you'd get if Glock made a DA gun.

I traded it, though. After 50 rounds my hand started shaking from the recoil of a light gun concentrated in a narrow area - way worse than an alloy J frame with +P. Shooting my Steyr in .40 S&W with 180 PF ammo was a relief after shooting the PF-9. To put this in context, I have no problem shooting 180 PF ammo through my K frames for an extended range session, and 100 rounds of full power .44 Mags is no problem. The Kel-Tec and I were just a bad match. I won't keep a gun I don't enjoy shooting.

I'm wearing the gun I traded it on - an M&P .45. Yeah, I know, going from one extreme to the other... :wacko:

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess the best one was to buy and find out thru actual testing. The reason I posted was because of the mixed results of Kel Tec owners I know including myself. Out of the four folks I know that have the 380's only two of them run 100%. Unfortunately mine is one that does not run 100%. Usually one in 15 to 20 shots fails to eject. KelTec graciously sent me a new extractor, but problem still exist.

I know 5 folks with the 32's and they all run 100% with amazing accuracy considering what they are.

I guess I am going to get one these and see how it does. I will report in later with results.

I had one of the first .32's and I was breaking it and me in with it. Draw and empty the gun at 6-9 feet drills. It fell apart in my hand. Pin just came out as I shot .15 splits. The dealer gave me my money back and sent it back for another I guess. I know the .380 is a pretty good gun and they probably fixed that issue with all the kudos I hear about them.

The new one sounds like a PM9 beater but my PM9 is very reliable and accurate.

go to ktog.com or org. some of the guns need a "fluff and buff" to clean them up. i have a p32 and it run s 100% . A friend bought a p32 that would hicup every now and then , he did a fluff and buff now it is 100% for the last 500 rds of fiocchi. Do some research on the pf 9 at first they had some problems with them. From what i have heard they have resolved the problems on the last 2 series of pistols(i think there are 3). Anyway ktog has a lot of good info on these little guns.

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess the best one was to buy and find out thru actual testing. The reason I posted was because of the mixed results of Kel Tec owners I know including myself. Out of the four folks I know that have the 380's only two of them run 100%. Unfortunately mine is one that does not run 100%. Usually one in 15 to 20 shots fails to eject. KelTec graciously sent me a new extractor, but problem still exist.

I know 5 folks with the 32's and they all run 100% with amazing accuracy considering what they are.

I guess I am going to get one these and see how it does. I will report in later with results.

Interesting thing happened when I went back today to purchase the KelTec 9. I bought like new Kahr Polymer 9mm for $50 more than the Keltec. Trigger felt better and gun felt better. Now I will have to report back on this one.

Interesting thing happened when I went back today to purchase the KelTec 9. I bought like new Kahr Polymer 9mm for $50 more than the Keltec. Trigger felt better and gun felt better. Now I will have to report back on this one.

What was the price on the Kahr? They're usually a lot more than a Kel-Tec.