Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poll- What rifle bullet weight do you use?

Bear1142

Eric,

I spend too much money for the trip to the match, entry fees, hotel and guns...I believe I can afford at least 77 grain bullets to insure that I get credit for my hits (and misses) at any steel targets over 100 yards. 55s might work but I have seen to many shooters not get credit for what I believe was a hit and the RO call it a miss because the 55 didn't have the energy to really flash the target.

Scott Hawkins

jobob,

I am using a 1 in 8 twist...that is what JP suggested and since my work gun was (US Army M4 and SPR) a 1 in 7 and loved the 77 I wanted a barrel that would last a little longer and still stablize the heavy bullet.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Okay, I finally admit it, I Am guilty of having two different loads for 3-gun matches. A load for close range and one for long range( 300+) I know I just couldn't help myself. For "close range a Hornady 55FMJ @ 3000 for long range a 55 gr Nozler Ballistic tip @ 3200. Unfortunately I never get any credit for hits on steel past about 220yds and I have never knocked down ANY La-Rue targets past about 75yds, which explains why I place so poorly at any major match, but hey I get to shoot A LOT MORE when nothing indicates or falls so it makes me happy. If someone ever makes a nice 57 grain bullet I just know I will start doing better :lol: KurtM

Okay, I finally admit it, I Am guilty of having two different loads for 3-gun matches. A load for close range and one for long range( 300+) I know I just couldn't help myself. For "close range a Hornady 55FMJ @ 3000 for long range a 55 gr Nozler Ballistic tip @ 3200. Unfortunately I never get any credit for hits on steel past about 220yds and I have never knocked down ANY La-Rue targets past about 75yds, which explains why I place so poorly at any major match, but hey I get to shoot A LOT MORE when nothing indicates or falls so it makes me happy. If someone ever makes a nice 57 grain bullet I just know I will start doing better :lol: KurtM

Kurt, you ALWAYS place the projectile in the "sweet spot" us mere mortals like to think we can equal your skill through

haphazard application of horsepressure.

What have you won lately? Oh yea about 10K in loot this year!!!!

Man I hope the IRS is not reading this.

Patrick

Once a year when I have my Match Director hat on there is nothing more frustrating then having to explain to a competitor that his 52gr or slow 55 gr. is not activating the reactive target and he will be scored as a miss. Maybe this thread will encourage a few more folks to use two loads. One mouse load for paper and a 69 gr. or heavier load for the steel.

That has been my strategy but I do not load my 55's down to the floor just in case there is some "close" steel. They key for me was finding the zero distance for both.

I'm like Pat,

147 FMJ out to 200 give or take, then 175 smk past that............you talk about making a MGM flash target flash !!!! :cheers:

Oh, you were talking about mouse guns..............

55grns for hoser stuff...........77grn for long, or windy, or steel that needs to go down or flash ;)

Hop