Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli, can't decide...

oregonshooter

I've got the OK from the commander and chief to get one for 3-gun next year, but not sure which is the better deal?

1. Used M1 (might be for sale) with 100 rounds through it.

Has normal stock, and tube extender already with GR sights

Hoping to get it for $700 or lower. (what si a good price here?)

2. New M2 tactical w/ghost rings (same as M1 above, but new) for $1000.00

3. M4? Is this system better or more trouble than the M1/M4 style? These are $1200.00 IIRC from the same source (Sportsmans Warehouse) Have not heard much about them for 3gun, reason why?

My only fear with the M1 is busted parts and available replacements. I hear that most of the stuff is interchangeable with the M2 though no sure exactly what.

Anyone seen better prices for a new M2?

I ruled out the 1187/1100, Berretta 391, and 1201LP because the cost difference is very little and the Benelli has earned it's rep as the "AK" of semi's.

I was thinking I would get a duck gun Benelli and save money, but the tactical is actually $100-$200 less!

Which would you get for 3 gun and why if you so please?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just went from an old 1100 to a m1. I love it. I've shot an m2 the only difference I can see in the stock. (I'm no expert that's just what I could tell from dumping a few rounds through one). I've never shot an m4. The m1 seems to be VERY popular, the M2 as well. These are probably popular for a reason. (hint, hint) I'd bye as much as the "commander in chief"will let you. Have fun!

A good buy on a M1 would be OK, dont sweat the parts, they are there and you wont need them anyway. I've shot both M1s and M'2s and like both but the M2 is a little softer. Forget the M4 and the tactical models, a 21 or 24 in field gun is the way to go. You dont need the sights, its a shotgun not a rifle. Slugs can be shot accurately with just a hi vis front sight.--------------Larry

Thanks Larry, I agree on the bead only. I'm shooting an 870 bead now and did not like the GR setup on my friends M1, but today I was shocked to find that the M2 field guns were starting at $1100.00!! Do they charge that much for camo?

I thought you were suppose to charge 20% over cost when you painted something black and called it tactical, but not this time.

The M2 Tactical has the extended tube already and I can get a normal stock with a sling attachment built in for $100.00 less from what I saw at the gun store today.

Edited by oregonshooter

IMHO, I've had My M1 for 21 years now and have shot over 75,000 rounds through it and just won the shotgun side match at Ft Benning 3 gun with it, there is nothing wrong with an M1, however I just told Benny to build me an M2, in case my M1 gets old. however I would go with a 21" or 24" vent rib barrel ( your preference, 21 is handier, 24 lets you shoot in England and gives a little more sight length) and have a small fiber optic front sight and 10/22 style flip up rear sight milled down in the rib for slug shooting, this is the heat. Leave the M4 alone, no value added. Add a Mag tube, lightened bolt (I didn't do that till year 15) welded up lifter( still haven't done that, but it helps keep you skin and nail on your thumb) and a little beveling and you have a machine as good as anyone in the sport

best wishes

jc :cheers:

Just a add on to my above post. Sooner or later you are going to want all the bells and bangles on that m2, just call Benny and belly up to the bar. Get the gun you want from the get go and be happy. It really is cheaper that way in the long run. Its Benny Hill at 361-241-1091.---------Larry

OK, the M1 was $850.00 with a +5 tube. too much and like you said Larry, "buy the one you want" so I going to do that.

Problem is I don't know what I want. :)

I'm new to shotguns (bought first 870 last year) and have shot only 3 matches total so have no clue as to what is the "mix" for 3 gun either.

Things I do know:

1. I know I'm not going to shoot outside of tactical or limited, dot on my AK puts me in Tactical already.

2. I want a 12GA so the gun is usable outside of matches.

3. I like rifle sights over ghost rings.

4. The M2 Tactical come with 18.5 barrel and rifle sights already at $1000.00, add a Nordic +5 and I have max for Tactical class with tube 2.5" beyond 18.5 barrel and use a +3 for a flush fit if I want a shorter setup for self defense. Do I need a 21" barrel really? Wouldn't a shorter lighter barrel equal better drivability?

5. Don't want to go past 21" for sure.

6. Camo was the price increase. I called today and a M2 Field in black is $1050.00.

QUESTIONS:

Q1. I've heard that the M2 Field is more desirable than the Tacticals because they will shoot lighter (aka WallyWorld) #7 which is what I will likely be using in 3-gun. Is this true, and what is the difference? Bolt weight?

Q2. Is the comfort stock worth anything? I'd prefer the traditional stock with strap slot myself.

Q3. What will Benny do to the gun to make it better for 3-gun and at what cost? Haven't seen much about what he does, but have seen from posts that he is THE benelli guy.

Overall I want a gun less than 21" that I can use in 3-gun (I'm doing it for fun 1st and competition 2nd) and still use for a self defence / tactical match gun that is 100% (you know what I mean) reliable without a pistol grip.

Is that enough information to make a decision or suggestion?

Thanks for all the help so far! I've posted this on 3 forums and this is the only one that is bearing fruit.

Things I do know:

The "rifle" sights on the Benellis are so close to the bore that the darn thing beats the hell out of your cheek.

The rifle sights are very hard to use at speed.

the 18.5" barrel is very hard to mount a bead on when you realise the rifle sights just don't work.

Tubes that stick way out past the barrel like to take a lot of abuse.

Cold free beer tastes the best. KurtM

For most of that info talk to Benny(out of the shop most of this week). I can give you what I think. The very least I would want is a 21in with a +6 tube, a 9 rd side saddle and a hi vis front sight. Stock Benillis can be a problem with very light loads, use 1 1/8th 3 dram mim.--------------Larry

Thanks Kurt, I take it you don't like the rifle sights. :)

I was shooting A-zone hits on an IDPA target at the last match out to 40 yards no problem with my 18.5 Remy 870, are longer shots with slugs that common in 3-gun and do you guys use Ghost Rings or Rifles at all or just a bead/fiber FP?

Larry,

No difference in design then between tactical and field on the M2 series? Light loads are problem with both?

Is the 21" for tighter spread? 2.5" make that much difference? Don't understand adding more weight to end?

M2 in 21" or 24" with no rifle sights and (for sure) no pistol grip. :cheers:

18 or 21 or 24 makes no difference in shot patterns. The choke you choose is what makes the difference. I will guess that less than 25% use the shorter 18" barrel. 21" is by far the most common.

My .02

Edit to add. The last two matches I have shot Larry White's 24" M2. I really like it except it seems to fall off barrels and get you DQ'ed sometimes. :rolleyes:

Edited by Merlin Orr

Yes we shoot futher than 40 yds, not always but I have shot slugs to 100 yds or so. Choke, not barrel length decides spread, some 18 1/2s dont have screw in tubes and you want them, the short barrels also dont have a vent rib and you want that too. The action is the same, bolt wt. ect (at least until Benny gets done with them). In some cases the shorter barrels may be handier to use but I really dont notice the diffrence between my 24 and the 21 I had before and most of the open shooters breeze thur with a 26 or 28. That 3 or 4 extra ozs out on the end will never be noticed. If you look at the better shooters equip( and I'm not one) you see a bunch of 21s some 24s and very few 18 1/2s. I,m not in the same league with Kurt, very few are, but I can see what works and 21s and 24s do. And cold, free beer works too, its better if its Kurts dark homebrew.---------Larry

I really appreciate you guys giving the newb the input here, but I gotta ask cause I have not clue again...

Why do I want the rib on the barrel?

Didn't think about the choke threads on a tactical shotgun, thanks!

So far I got:

21" M2 field, +5 Nordic-C tube, 10/22 rear flip up.

Send to Benny for the ultimate work over when money is no object.

Edited by oregonshooter

Relig.

Where is everyone getting the 21" from then? I'll have to double check. I asked the local dealer to price a 21" but won't know if they make one until I get home and check messages.

Homie,

I can only hit to 50 yards, sounds like 100 is needed and the flips would work for that. As for "what I want..." I would have got an M2 tactical, but as I've found here, that's not a great 3-gun option. That's why I came here to ask the Pros.

Overall I want a gun less than 21" that I can use in 3-gun (I'm doing it for fun 1st and competition 2nd) and still use for a self defence / tactical match gun that is 100% (you know what I mean) reliable without a pistol grip.

Wise move to not go with a pistol grip. Adding a mag extension to an imported pistol-grip shotgun = violation of law (unless you add enough US made parts or search out one of the rare "pre-ban" guns out there). Without the pistol grip, add any extension you like without worry.

I got an M2 field 21"(all stock). I 've shot 3g for about a year with it now and

no complaints. Go for the comfortech stock(it works) and no pistol grip. I have tried

every light load I could find to try to to stop it and to this day, no hicups

(knock on wood)(all stock components!!).I have seen many M2 tac. become one shot

shotguns with light loads(usually at the match)..

From what I hear, the pistol grip tac. model has a tighter inertia spring for high velocity

tactical loads. I have also heard/seen people getting too good of a grip with the pistol grip

and they can stop the gun (unsually really big guys)..

No sights, If you take the time at the range to learn your zeros for slugs, the fiber

optic sight works just fine. With the right choke, I have done 4" groups off a bench

@ 100yds (2.5" @ 50yd).The rib with the fiber is also the fastests close up, for

me anyway, when I put sights on my other shotgun I acually found myself looking for

the rear sight @ like 5 yds plates (too much info)