Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Marvel model 1

steel1212

there is just so much .22 ammo out there I don't want to buy 50 of each and try just to have a stock pile of ammo I can't use. I also don't want to pay 50 bucks for 500, if that was the case I would just keep shooting 9mm. It doesn't have to be bullseye quality but the better accuracy I get the more I'll like it but I'm talking USPSA accuracy and I'm more concerned with reliabilty than anything.

Watcha got for me?

My biggest concern is reliablity more than anything.

You'll have two hurdles to cross then. Reliability of the ammo, and reliability of the gun.

Reliability of the ammo:

Almost all of the bulk pack ammo is pretty horrible in this department. The best, hands down in any gun, would be CCI Mini-Mags. Most/all of the target ammo out there is very reliable, but it is also almost all subsonic, which leads us to:

Reliability of the gun:

Most auto pistols don't work very well with subsonic ammo. There's just not enough 'oomph' in the ammo for reliable cycling. Some folks can get away with it, but that's usually on the minority of kits/guns, and usually only after they've been WELL broken in. Furthermore, hollowpoints can be a huge headache in most autos - I advise staying away from them at all costs (unless you're shooting small game).

So, what's cheap and works? I've had the best luck with Federal 510 (~$15-$20/500). Still have some FTIgnite's (maybe one out of 50-100), but all around a decent ammo. For target use, I LOVE Wolf MT (~$30/500), but as said before, it may not be powerful enough to cycle the slide. For break-in or times when you absolutely have to make it go bang, CCI MM's.

As always, YMMV.

I bought a 50 or 100 round lot of several things from midway last night. Some federal target, winchester something, cci mini mags and stardard, and wolf match. For practice I'm hoping the federal works as it was fairly cheap. For steel challenge I'll probably go with the mini mags and just keep them as "match" ammo...well see when it gets here.

This is what I got for testing:

Federal Champion Target Ammunition 22 Long Rifle High Velocity 40 Grain Lead Round Nose Box of 50 $1.99

Wolf Ammunition 22 Long Rifle Match Target 40 Grain Round Nose Box of 50 $3.39

CCI Mini-Mag High Velocity Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Plated Lead Round Nose Box of 100 $5.39

CCI Standard Velocity Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Round Nose Box of 100 $5.79

CCI Pistol Match Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Round Nose Box of 50 $7.29

Winchester Super-X High Velocity Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Round Nose Box of 50 $2.39

Edited by steel1212

Two of the indoor –winter time-clubs in my area allow 22 action pistol division.

One club has a 22 bullseye match.

The ammo I use for reliability CCI Standard Velocity.

The ammo I use for accuracy CCI Standard Velocity.

You might want to try a few boxes of ALL recommended here.

Any EXTRA ammo you buy for a 22 will get used, because it is so much fun.

The Marvel was made to function with CCI Standard Velocity ammo. The test targets supplied from the factory are shot with CCI-SV. That's what I use and for NRA Bullseye matches and all the shooters I am aware of also use SV. I think you will get the best life from your Marvel if you stick with 1050 fps or so SV ammo.

The Marvel was made to function with CCI Standard Velocity ammo. The test targets supplied from the factory are shot with CCI-SV. That's what I use and for NRA Bullseye matches and all the shooters I am aware of also use SV. I think you will get the best life from your Marvel if you stick with 1050 fps or so SV ammo.

I have used several different types of "match" ammo. Eley EPS match, RWS R100 R50, Greentag, and CCI-SV. all worked great but were notas easy on the budget as Federal Auto match and it performed just as well. I found the Eley shaved too much lead, The RWS was too "greasy", and Greentag was simply 50fps faste the CCI-SV. All great ammo just not what I needed. The golden bullets are great shooting ammo, and the Federal Automatch is great target ammo.

Well out of the list of ammo I have above only the federal target worked with one Missfire out of 50. The rest seemed to either nose up into the top of the chamber and get stuck shaving lead off on the bottom of the barrel, why they didn't make the feed ramp all the way into the barrel I'll never know, or had misfires. I had some trunicated cone ammo that worked fine though and it was so old some of the copper plating was greening :surprise:

Everything ejected fine once fired even with the standard velocity ammo.

The problem seemed to be a dirty chamber with build up stopping the round. I came home and cleaned the snot out of it but didn't get that much dirt or lead out of it. All rounds fired where 40 grainers other than the trunicated cone.

Any Ideas?