Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Marvel model 1

steel1212

Problem with the Kimber's they don't make them for the wide body frames like STI do they.

I have been looking at how to drill holes in one to attach spacers and fit it to my S_I pistol. The spring ison the front side of the mag so I can't see this as being a hard modification to do. The mags are only 20$ vs the 45$ for the marvel mags.

Edited by theknightoflight

That is good to know on the kimber mags.

Well after I cleaned it real well last night it ran all ammo I tried just fine. I have already ordered some of the federal competition but I guess I need to order some CCI and some more wolf. That wolf stuff is accurate as hell!

good info..i just spent a day researching this type of stuff..i've had mine for several yaers,but not shot it much,but plan on it during the winter..to many leaves in my bay to pickup brass..what lenght of time are you guys getting on the recoil spring?? i've only got 1000rnds thru mine....

Well I need to take a touch more off the ejector it seems. When I was shooting today I noticed that the slide was slowing down as it heated up from the rubbing of the slide and ejector. I'm still amazed with this thing though. With CCI standard ammo X rings on a 50 yard bullseye target where no problem with a dot...then again I'm not a bullseye shooter either. The federal stuff I'll save for the practice as its no where near the same league. The mini mags where not as accurate but very steel challenge capable. I still had some green tage and select that I never tried but if the CCI standard is that good I couldn't imagine that the others be enough for ME to pay the extra for.

Spring life - Mine has well over 20k through it with no problems. I used to run it on an old single stack frame for years. I shot it almost as much as my walther.

These things are silly accurate. The only gun I have that punches better holes is my walther, but that has a lot to do with the grip. One handed it is designed to lock you in.

The wolf ammo could be the original PMC stuff since it appears they now have the pmc primers. If that is the case then it is some good shooting ammo.

Wolf Match Target = SK Standard Plus

Wolf Match Extra = SK Match

;)

Edit - a little more research turned up that SK rimfire ammo is made by Lapua...

Edited by Krautwagen

Well Kimber mags work with my SA magwell after you take the dremel to the magwell and open it up a bit. I also took a little bit off the back left lip of the mag as it was pushing up the ejector causing the slide to slow down some. The kimber mags will hold 14 or so it looks like also.

Yeah, maybe its a new design or something. They kind of stack like a wide body a little bit and I lost count and when I did a feed test relized that I had put 14 in there. I'll still just use 10 in there for reliabity in steel challenge but it was something I wanted to point out.

I shot my Marvel .22 this weekend, approximately 300 rounds without a misfeed or any other malfunctions with Federal Auto Match. I also ran it thru my other .22 pistols, S&W 41, Clark Custom Ruger and a stock Ruger MK II with no problems. I found it at Wal Mart, bulk packed 325 rounds per box.

• 1 month later...

It appears, that as long as your Marvel Mags work when they come, then mike the feedlips at the front, middle, and back. Write that down and save it. Then dont dump your mags on a concrete floor. Hmm...how did l learn this.... :unsure:

A big variable is the frame that you put it on. If you try a frame and it works, then look at the top round as it is indexed on the feedramp, and see as you hand cycle it where the bullet tip hits.(dummy round please)

(TIP) clamp the frame in the vise so you can get the mag in and out, and take the top rail off...... ;) That is the sweet spot. If it hits lower, then the bullet will bounce off the ramp, pop over the chamber and dead end on the top of the chamber.

Bullet selection will enter into this as well. There are two predominant bullet styles for the cheap stuff we like to run.

The first is the rebated tip of the Fed 550 box. Notice from the front of the bullet coming back it is like a HG 200 gr bullet. If you kit is marginally hitting the ramp correctly, then this lip will catch and pop the bullet up, not chambering. It may also pop up and the top lip may hit the top of the chamber and malf too....

The second style is a roundnose design, as in CCI minimags and standards, Fed Automatch, the SKs and Wolfs..(my favorite). If your gun is marginal in the ramp area these will feel better, but it will almost always puke in the match.

If you have a .22 that will empty the mag as fast as you can shoot it, then using dummy rounds, see how the bullets feed out of the mags, and then figure out how to mimic that with your Marvel.

Depending on how your ramp sits in the frame you are using....you might be able to put a taller mag catch in it, or if it is hitting low on the ramp, you or your qualified GS typer person may need to lower the angle of the feed ramp.

From what I have been told by others, the kits are set up for the stock 1911s, which has a stout mainspring... (23lb) or so.

If you have a light mainspring, 15 or so, you may not have reliable ingnition. 17 seems to be the low end on the scale Also, the gun kit is set up with a match chamber....make sure you clean it at the match for reliablility. Heresy, but my boresnake works great. Also, if you have hammy fingers, then you need a thumbshield to keep your thumb from rubbing the slide. It doesnt take much contact to eat up a little energy and slow the slide enough to malf. This is my experience with two kits, One was in the 1-2K serial number range, and this one that runs great now is in the 5K range.

I have to admit, I am salivating for the Tactical Solutions kit, and have resigned to being patient. They are good folks, and put out a great product for us......

I hope this helps someone....

So in review, take care of your mags...(treat them like the highcaps in the 90s.... :angry2: ) check your bullet tip angle on the ramp, and feed your gun well. You may not be able to run the cheapest ammo you can find.....<insert I will never again use Rem golden bullet and only give it to people that I dont really like mode...... :ph34r: >

I haved spoke to TrueDoubleTaper here on the forum, and I believe he has this sucker nailed and will be able to tweak your guns if they dont run in a couple of months. I know that Rusty Kidd knows the Marvels well, but I dont know if he is taking any work as well..

Going back to bed for my Bronchitis.....<cough>

DougC