Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Women and Deer Hunting

I felt confident there is not a thread on this so I didn't bother doing a search :lol:

I'm going hunting tomorrow with my brother. He came by the house today and we reviewed a bunch of safety stuff. I got fitted with my harness and practiced hanging from a tree in case I fall out of the ladder stand etc...BUT one thing we did not cover was where I would pee. The plan is to NOT pee...but if I did.... where? If I climb down and pee right at my tree stand...wouldn't the deer smell that?? I need advice. ;)

There was a long detailed thread over on the Archery Talk Forums. Bottom line is, lots of big deer are being "harvested" when guys have peed from their stand. Conventional wisdom was always that the deer would smell it. Hey, it is the rut right now, might just lure them in. I say, go for it!!!

And, BTW, good luck!!!

There was a long detailed thread over on the Archery Talk Forums. Bottom line is, lots of big deer are being "harvested" when guys have peed from their stand. Conventional wisdom was always that the deer would smell it. Hey, it is the rut right now, might just lure them in. I say, go for it!!!

And, BTW, good luck!!!

I've talked to a bunch of East Texas folks who swear by what Z says here....

The conventional wisdom has always been not to do this anywhere near where you are hunting.

Since the stands are normally something of a hike from where we park our vehicles I normally make this the last thing I do before setting out to the stand.

I can normally stay there for several hours and can usually make it back to the truck before I have to go again.

I used to take an empty plastic water bottle in just in case but only had to use it once or twice. (tough to do for a girl).

I carried it out in my pack and emptied it when I got back.

However, the point is that if you limit your fluids and make the most of your opportunites, you shouldn't have a problem in a tree stand.

Tls

The conventional wisdom has always been not to do this anywhere near where you are hunting.

Since the stands are normally something of a hike from where we park our vehicles I normally make this the last thing I do before setting out to the stand.

I can normally stay there for several hours and can usually make it back to the truck before I have to go again.

I used to take an empty plastic water bottle in just in case but only had to use it once or twice. (tough to do for a girl).

I carried it out in my pack and emptied it when I got back.

However, the point is that if you limit your fluids and make the most of your opportunites, you shouldn't have a problem in a tree stand.

Tls

You're absolutely right with the conentional wisdom comment. I was brought up deer hunting exactly how you've stated here. However, I know for a fact the last 3-4 deer I killed weren't bothered in the least by the fact that I went to the bathroom right near where I was hunting. (in a ground blind).

I've seen a couple of articles in one of the Texas Hunting mags, and like I said before, talked to a bunch of old timey East Texas woodsmen who deliberately go out and urinate near their huntin' spots.

Personally have watched a buck sniff under my stand where I had urinated that morning and not be alarmed. Now I normally hunt in the mornings til the coffee kicks in, but if need be, off the side of my stand is as good a place as any. Good luck tomorrow!. Saw five deer this afternoon and a very unlucky Coyote. His diet changed from small innocent critters to lead and copper :surprise:

I had a 6 point walk out on me once while I was 'watering the daisies'. It stepped out and just staired at me untill I began to reach for my rifle which was leaning against a tree, then it took off before I could get a shot on it. I've shot deer off a stand that I peed close to. It won't scare them. Appearantly deer don't smell human pee and think "There's a hunter who's going to kill me so I better stay away from there."

I too had always been told to pee in a container. Last year when leaving to go home, I stopped on the trail to my truck. I just couldn't hold it any longer. Then to make matters worse I dumped the 1 Liter urine bottle there also. The next morning you should of seen the big scrape a buck had made over night right on the spot. It was like I had marked in his territory and he wasn't putting up with that.

Thanks for all the info guys!

EZ Bagger...you are a wealth of information. I didn't know those items existed! I will keep them in mind for future events like this. ;)

I went hunting today and saw 2 buck and 8 doe but didn't get any shots off because they all were beyond my kill zone. :angry2: There's always next year. :)

A friend of mine took his daughter hunting last year. When she had to go, he told her to quietly climb out of her stand.

He looks away trying to give her some privacy.

After a few mins. she whispers "Dad.....Dad ....DAD!" He looks and she is squatted down nose to nose with a big doe !

ALL RIGHT!!! The question everyone wants the answer to.... No I didn't pee.

However, after all the input from you guys, I AM going to pee around my deer stand next year. I think I might be a believer.

My brother showed me a scrape and explained to me what that was and why the buck did that. We saw fresh doe pee on top of the scrape. It was after I saw that....that I decided to pee near my tree stand next year.

Edited by Calamity Jane

• 11 months later...

OK, my Grandad killed his biggest buck ever while popping a squat doing #2 in the woods, I still think it's a fluke.

I think those people that kill a deer after urinating around their stand see curious deer or they have the wind in their favor.

The deer I hunt (mature bucks) don't play that game. They even smell the hint of something wrong and they disappear.

I put a lot into my deer hunting, and I choose not to take any chances. To each their own.