Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New home for Steel Challenge?

itchy

Heard a couple of weeks ago that the Steel Challenge had been sold and will have a new home in 2009. :( Anybody hear any rumors about where it might be headed?

We need to use peer pressure to have BE :bow: show up for the last Piru Steel Challenge.

Itchy

No Butch, Kirby is NOT the new buyer.

I have been sworn to secrecy on the details of the sale, but was told that the 2008 Challenge will be in Piru.

In succeeding years, I hope that it remains in Piru as there is a lot of tradition and history of the match being held at the Thompson facility. The logistical aspects of being able to hold the match and side events as well as having all the stages available concurrently on an adjacent practice range is a big plus.

I would also hazard to say that typically, 75-80% of the shooters are from CA, with 75-80% of those from Southern CA. The match barely survived the move 2 hours away to 5 Dogs in 92' and ended after the move another 2 hours north to Fresno in 93' (albeit other crcumstances were involved).

For me and many others, it wouldn't be THE Steel Challenge if it was held any other place than the balmy oasis of Piru.

Jim

SCSA Life Member #1 (and probably the only one)

ah jim, you only remember back to when you started...before that there was the original range in canyon country...wes had a real nice place then...was paved over with house that i;m sure have burned to the ground several times since. let's face it, wherever the steel challenge goes, steel shooters will follow, and that includes mr. o'young..

NO I have it as Fact <_< Steel is too ...Hard... for IPSC shooters. :surprise:

Yeah, like these guys:

Place Last Name First Name

1 MICHEL MAX

2 NORRIS BJ

3 EUSEBIO KC

4 JARRETT TODD

5 RACAZA JJ

6 SEVIGNY DAVE

7 STRADER PHIL

8 MICULEK JERRY

9 HOBDELL ANGUS

10 JARRETT TODD

11 RACAZA JJ

12 SAITI NICK

13 VIDANES JOJO

14 LEATHAM ROB

15 ONG JAMES

16 KAZUNORI SHOJI

17 SEVIGNY DAVE

18 VOIGT MIKE

19 MCLEARN MATTHEW

20 FOOTE JAMIE

edit: I'll give ya 16. I am not sure if he shoots USPSA/IPSC

Edited by ChuckS

:D A story goes with that comment . But, That last guy on your list says that IPSC it too hard :blink:

All the games are great IPSC, Steel Challenge, Team Challenge Cheer Leading for the other guy to have their best score.

Jamie Foote

Edited by AlamoShooter

Piru is suffering its own woes as of recent. Apparently the California condor loves to dwell around there and have been suffering from lead poisoning found from lead bullets. being that the Ca. Condor is a protected species, I have heard rumor that we may not be able to shoot any ammo there where lead can be exposed for these birds to ingest. JHP's, cast lead etc. will soon be prohibited there.

Piru is suffering its own woes as of recent. Apparently the California condor loves to dwell around there and have been suffering from lead poisoning found from lead bullets. being that the Ca. Condor is a protected species, I have heard rumor that we may not be able to shoot any ammo there where lead can be exposed for these birds to ingest. JHP's, cast lead etc. will soon be prohibited there.

:blink: For the love of Pete.....puhleaze tell me you made this crap up...........as a joke...... :angry2:

then again.... :rolleyes: maybe it doesnt surprise me......

Still shaking head....

DougC

I emailed Mike Dalton after Seiichi told me this. Here's his reply:

It is true the Steel Challenge is sold and final business arrangements are

closing. The sale of the Challenge isn't something to feel sad about because it

is going forth into a new era with great operators that can take it to

future levels.

Mike and I didn't pull it out of the ashes to see again lost to all who love

it. We are going to be continuing to be involved as consultants and as match

directors. We are going to be able to remove most the work load that has

grown every year. The 2008 match will be in Piru and may or not move in the

future.

As soon as things are completed I will give you the scoop.

The Steel Challenge is as you say "a carnival match" in the grandest since

of the phrase. In its current form it requires over 30 bays to host all of

the action. There are 10 "walk up" events that spectators can win guns by

"raffle" just for playing. To Mike and I it is all about promoting the

shooting sports and we thank you for being a part of its success from the

beginning.

The best is yet to come,

Mike

thanks, brian. i know mike & mike will keep it in good hands. the match will always be special in my mind. it was the first match i ever shot in my life. i remember driving into canyon country in 1984 and seeing all you guys and saying to myself "WTF am i doing here"? the trek was always worth it.

The Steel Challenge was the first major match I shot. Actually, it's the only major match I've shot. I just remember being in awe seeing all of the professionals. I specifically remember one time when I was on the practice range and Jerry Miculek walked up behind me. I got so nervous, I must have missed everything. It's only taken me 7 years to figure out what to do.

I hope they're able to keep the Challenge in Piru. Maybe they can find a new home for that condor.

Itchy

• 3 weeks later...