Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adding resin/epoxy to a grip

Chris iliff

I have seen some guns with epoxy (or something) built up on the left lower part of the grip.... So the left hand (heal) touches the grip better. Has anyone done this to thier gun? I have been contemplating this and think it would stabilize my grip better (large hands) and would like to know how to do it. Materials used. Any techniques. ETC....

I have seen some guns with epoxy (or something) built up on the left lower part of the grip.... So the left hand (heal) touches the grip better. Has anyone done this to thier gun? I have been contemplating this and think it would stabilize my grip better (large hands) and would like to know how to do it. Materials used. Any techniques. ETC....

Henning's been doing it for years. He uses an binary putty to built it up.

Here: http://henningshootsguns.com/tech/tech.tan...bettergrip.html

Henning's been doing it for years. He uses an binary putty to built it up.

Here: http://henningshootsguns.com/tech/tech.tan...bettergrip.html

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I did this on my Limited gun and like it a lot. I've got fairly big mitts and I can now get a really nice grip all the way around the pistol. Of course mine is on the right side since I am right-brained. :rolleyes:

PICT0362.jpg

What is the original grip material? What did you use to do the job? Nice touch to have the finger grooves for your left hand. You obviously put a lot of thought into the project and I am interested in how you accomplished it. Very nice job.

Does it interfere with your weak hand on weak hand only strings?

Edited by fourtrax

I'm doing a test right now. I used polyester Bondo over a stippled STI grip. I love how much better my left hand hold the gun. The bad news is I have to rethink my grip now. My dot isn't in the same place now... I have to rework my mount. Also, the pressure I used to use to get the dot back to center is slightly dif. The good news is my bill drills tightened up a ton. I tried one as fast as I could go without trigger lock and they wer3e all in the A zone at about 30ft. I can feel how my left is doing most of the work now, where as before I know my right was. I've shot maybe 300 rounds with the mod and I plan to keep it. I might use another media to build the grip up though. This stuff is a little brittle. I used it in case I wanted to take it off... I didn't want to have to grind it all off and restipple the grip.

I too would like to know what is the best to use for a permanent mod to the grip.

I use a product called "Green Stuff" also known as Kneadalite Blue/Yellow. What is great about it is that it takes quite a while to set up giving you lots of time to work with the product before it sets.

Uh, yeah.... about weakhand shooting......... :unsure:

You do have a bigger grip to wrap your hand around so it does make weakhand shooting more challenging to get a good solid grip. Since this photo was taken I ground off the checkering on the front of the grip and added more skate tape which has helped alot. I need to practice shooting weakhand more to see if this is a good fix though. Then again, I always have needed to practice weakhand shooting more.

Edited because I spell like a 2 year old!

Edited by Neomet

I'm doing a test right now. I used polyester Bondo over a stippled STI grip. I love how much better my left hand hold the gun. The bad news is I have to rethink my grip now. My dot isn't in the same place now... I have to rework my mount. Also, the pressure I used to use to get the dot back to center is slightly dif. The good news is my bill drills tightened up a ton. I tried one as fast as I could go without trigger lock and they wer3e all in the A zone at about 30ft. I can feel how my left is doing most of the work now, where as before I know my right was. I've shot maybe 300 rounds with the mod and I plan to keep it. I might use another media to build the grip up though. This stuff is a little brittle. I used it in case I wanted to take it off... I didn't want to have to grind it all off and restipple the grip.

I too would like to know what is the best to use for a permanent mod to the grip.

I'm not far off from trying this myself. From my research you can wrap the grip in blue masking tape then put a 10 minute epoxy on the grip which gives you some time to work the shape. Do one side at a time. It can be removed and done permanently should you decide you like it. Too start with try building up the grip with play dough putty to get a feel for the size that might feel best to you. Seems that European shooters do this more frequently than do the Americans, perehaps they know something we don't.?! Rather than use skateboard tape that can shift and wear out mix some sand in with clear coat or colored paint for some grit. You can do one of those splatter custom paint jobs pretty eaisly as well. Keep in mind you still want a grip you can use for weak hand shooting.

Does it interfere with your weak hand on weak hand only strings?

In my experience the advantages of having a grip like that far outweigh the cons during weakhand shooting (if there are any).

The whole point of having a grip like that is to have better control while shooting freestyle (85%+ of our shooting). Then there's probably 10% of strong hand, and 5% of weak hand (max).

In single handed shooting there's not much to control the gun with but a high grip and the recoil itself. I have found that it doesn't matter that much what shape or size the grip is compared to freestyle shooting. As long as you grip it high and it doesn't shift, that is.

Short story: IMO, go for it.

I'm not far off from trying this myself. From my research you can wrap the grip in blue masking tape then put a 10 minute epoxy on the grip which gives you some time to work the shape. Do one side at a time. It can be removed and done permanently should you decide you like it. Too start with try building up the grip with play dough putty to get a feel for the size that might feel best to you. Seems that European shooters do this more frequently than do the Americans, perehaps they know something we don't.?! Rather than use skateboard tape that can shift and wear out mix some sand in with clear coat or colored paint for some grit. You can do one of those splatter custom paint jobs pretty eaisly as well. Keep in mind you still want a grip you can use for weak hand shooting.

Great info, I think the blue tape is ingenious. Lets you try and get comfortable with the process. The play dough is excellent also. Thanks for the input and let me know if you go for it and get it done. Right now my gun is at the smiths for needed lightening and some other work. But this mod I have been thinking about for several months. Putty first is probably the way I'll begin.

• 3 months later...

It's been awhile, but I did it. I spent several nights with the kid's play dough figuring out how much and placement. The play dough worked great because it come right off with no problems. After I figured out exactly how much, I would roll it into a thick tube, about the size of a thumb, and place it where I needed on the grip. I would then mount the grip and the heel of my left hand would smash the dough and form it. I noticed that a sharp edge would get formed where the heels of my hands touched. To fix this, I would grip the gun with my weak hand (left) and that would roll the sharp edge away. Doing that would also push the finger grooves ( from my strong hand) forward. I found no way to avoid not distorting the strong hand finger grooves (which are illustrated in a picture of a gun in this thread).

I decided to use this method and then a dremel tool when I did it for real. It worked great. I used lock tite putty . It came in a tube so I just matched the play dough size I had been using to it and cut it off. I followed the same steps I used with the play dough and in less than 5 minutes it was hard. I waited a day then took the dremel to it. As with the play dough, the finger grooves got pushed forward when I gripped the gun weak handed. The dremel grinded them out and that was that. Gripping the gun weak handed was the smartest thing I did. My weak hand is now locked fully into the gun. It's almost moulded it fits so well. Yes it does push the finger grooves forward, but the dremel fixed that.

I used skate tape on top of the epoxy and that went well for a gritty texture. I will post again in the future and let everyone know if the mod helps my grip and performance. Right now the gun feels better than ever before.

• 3 months later...

Agian it's been awhile, but I athought an update in order. While practicing the epoxy putty fell off. Probably had 1500 or so rounds through the gun. Good news is it fell off in one piece. I bought loctite epoxy glue and glued it back on. It's been there ever since. Still like it so far.

Another option for those contemplating altering their grip:

Saul Kirsch will be releasing a kit for building up the grip on your gun.

From IPSC GV:

HI Craig,

sorry, I must have missed your question earlier on, I see it only now that new responses brought it to the top of the list...

Funny you should ask about this now, (well actually you didnt ask now, you asked months ago, but...) I am actually finishing work on a new product: it is customized grip modification and checkering kit, which will be available from DAA in about 4 weeks. Not only does it include ALL the materials you will need to customize your grip, but it will also include an instruction DVD, to show and teach the process so it is clear and easy to do.

It has actually taken a long while to put this kit together, as it took time to find the right materials and packaging, but it is all done now - and will be out in July.

thanks,

Saul

Edited by Cardinal

I used Loctite putty. I think it fell off because I didn't prep the grip well enough. The putty comes in a tube and you just cut off the amount you need and knead. It didn't change the feel (weight) of the gun to me. I doubt it weighs even 2 ounces.

• 4 months later...
I used Loctite putty. I think it fell off because I didn't prep the grip well enough. The putty comes in a tube and you just cut off the amount you need and knead. It didn't change the feel (weight) of the gun to me. I doubt it weighs even 2 ounces.

Cem Esteban, Gunsmith and Master shooter developed an easy way to do this in the 90's. The product "Marine-tex" is ideal for this application. It is a 2 part system but moldable and when it hardens it is extremely strong and tuff. Use a latex glove and a little oil on glove to get a perfect fit when it sets up (The oil keeps glove from sticking and makes an attractive finished surface). You can build up layers or grind it down with a dremel to fine tune for exact fit. It bonds extremely well to stock STI grip (use a little brake clean first to remove all the surface hand oil on the STI grip). We affectionately refer to it as "The Turkish Tumor" although one crusty RO called it Gorilla Snot just before the load and make ready command. Bottom line works perfect, a no brainer.

• 5 years later...

Hello

I am sorry to gring up so old tread.

I am tired to apply the grip tape to the gun and wanted to know if there is a compound with " grid snad" that ould be glued over the custom grip instead of "grip tape".

So I serched the internet and seen the Shaul Kirsh product that is no longer availuble

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHbKuSINCoI

Searched the internet and seen that there is similar product again to skateboards

LUCID VERY CLEAR LIQUID (STANDARD) GRIP

Anyone knows - is this compound good enough? Or any other solution without grip-tape?

Thank you in advance