Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No Country for Old Men

Sestock

Saw it yesterday, and I think the confusion is from both not paying attention and from assuming all stories have to have a happy ending.

Can't read? Maybe. More likely, Lllewelyn was trying to figure out something new. This hiding stuff process was something he was familiar with (the sub-gun under the trailer) but the motel was a whole step up.

The scene with Carson asking him about how well he welds? He was tryign to make a point; as good as Llewllyen welds, Carson finds. And Chigurh finds even better. How do we know this? Because after that, Llewlleyn plans to stop running from Chigurh. "You won't have to find me. I'll find you."

Was Chigurh behind the door? Doesn't matter. He could be behind the door, but didn't kill the sheriff simply because doing so would be more risk, heat from the law and hassle. He could be in the next room. He took the grate off because that was where Llewellyn hid the money before. Too small, so Anton went to the next likely place. Where? No idea.

The scene matters because it is when we, and the Sheriff, realize he is in over his head. He can barely muster the nerve to walk in. Having done so, he doesn't have the nerve to track Anton afterwards. He simply sits on the bed. He isn't the man his Father, Grandfather nor Uncle were, or if he was, he's worn out or over-matched by the new threat.

Time to quit, while he still can.

Antons accident? Everything is chance. As good as anyone is, chance still comes into everyone's life.

To mix entertainment lessons, Llewellyn made the mistake of breaking the "Sipowitz Rule": "You want to kill someone, do it. Then get on with your life, and never say a word to anyone. Don't 'help' the police, don't say a word, never go back." Still, the transponder would have lead him down a different path, but with the same end.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched it the other night. At first I was disappointed in the ending, but it certainly left me with a wonderment I have not been able to shake - thinking periodically about certain aspects of it over the last few days. To bad I rented it, I'd like to see it again after reading all of this.

Comment on the motel scene near the end - I could have sworn there was an image of Chigurh in the shadows clutching the shotgun... in addition to him seeing the reflection of the sheriff in the brass ring still in the door where the lock once stood, and I thought the sheriff also saw something in the same reflection (i.e. possibly Chigurh)? One was dark looking out to the bright, and the other was bright looking into the dark, which makes me think chigurh was still there...

The movie equivalent of literary allusion. Anton and the Sheriff both did their jobs by putting themselves, physically and mentally, in the position of the other guy. the guy they were tracking.

Remember the milk? Anton, and then the Sheriff, sat down where Llewellyn sat, and thought about the next move. they though aobut what the other saw and thought.

So, they would "see" reflections in mirrors, windows, brass, etc. Looking for what the other guy saw.

• 5 months later...
You all did catch that Luellen Moss (Josh Brolin) couldn't read?

I wonder if they played that up in the book at all.

I couldn't quite figure out why Woody Harrelson's character was interrogating him about his welding skills. It's not like Woody was interviewing him for a job, or was going to try to set him up with one once he handed over the money.

I have to wonder if Moss handed the money over to Woody if Woody would have killed him then.

Finally saw the movie last night so I read the thread......

Woody was trying to get the point across to Moss that as good as Moss was as a welder that the was that good as a man hunter/tracker. He also made the point that Chigurh would find his as easily as he (Woody) had and that there would be no choice given by Chigurh. I liked the single minded purpose and the twisted but strong set of values that Chigurh demonstrated in his quest to do his job......

The book has more in it.

The Sheriff interviews the two kids who gave Chigur the shirt.

He also pays a visit to Llewellyn Moss's father. the Father tells the sheriff his son was a sniper in Vietman, and when he returned he visited several families of buddies lost in the war.

He asks the Sheriff if his son was involved in the drug trade. When the Sheriff tells him no, he says "He wasn't raised that way".

the book ended much less abrupt.

When I was buying the book the old man at the book store recommended "BLOOD MERIDIAN" also by Cormac McCarthy.

this book was even more violent and thought provoking.

• 7 months later...

Love this flick. Seen it several times. Anton was on the motel room floor hiding between the bed and nightstand. The light from the deadbolt was close to Anton's eye level. He had just removed the money from the vent. Having all he wanted simply vanished like a "ghost" when the Sheriff walked past and into the bathroom.

Jim

Love this flick. Seen it several times. Anton was on the motel room floor hiding between the bed and nightstand. The light from the deadbolt was close to Anton's eye level. He had just removed the money from the vent. Having all he wanted simply vanished like a "ghost" when the Sheriff walked past and into the bathroom.

Jim

Great Jim....now I have to rewatch it for the 20th time so I can see it from your viewpoint. HaHa!

This is a great movie!

OK i know that the movie is trying to tell a story and there is supposed to be some suspension of disbelief, and maybe I'm kinda paranoid in this particular instance, but am I the only one who would not let someone who looked like Javier Bardem just walk up on me close enough to tap me with that cow-killer? And especially if he got out of a cop car NOT wearing a uniform?

OK i know that the movie is trying to tell a story and there is supposed to be some suspension of disbelief, and maybe I'm kinda paranoid in this particular instance, but am I the only one who would not let someone who looked like Javier Bardem just walk up on me close enough to tap me with that cow-killer? And especially if he got out of a cop car NOT wearing a uniform?

Back then... people were a bit more naive about things like this... ;) Sign of the times...

He had Boots on....Thats just like a uniform.

:mellow:

Love this flick. Seen it several times. Anton was on the motel room floor hiding between the bed and nightstand.

No.. he's standing behind the door.

The shot from inside the room, light coming through the punched out lock.

NCF.jpg

Same pic punched up a bit.

NCFPUNCH.jpg

So many people said "The ending sucked." I always replied, "yeah.. just like life huh?"

Full sized, the lock on 112 looks fine.

Doors.jpg

"That would make Anton approximately 2'-10" tall and about 10" around."

Uhh... I'd try to reply to that is it made any sense, but... :rolleyes::D

If he's laying on the floor, that means there's a hole drilled in the floor the light is shining through. :P

Judging by what we see of him though the film, laying on the floor hiding doesn't sound like him.

Waiting in ambush in the corner on the other hand, perhaps.

Edited by cas

Unless its cold, dark, grey and ashen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trapr

<_< out of nearly 20 travel books - you have gotten the worst they can be, <_< except for maybe two books that were so bad I could argue with them and win.

And one book that only lasted 90 seconds because I could not stand the reader voice. :sick:

• 4 months later...

Found an interesting review posted here;

http://open.salon.com/blog/tequilaanddonut...me_movie_review

Good discussion on the film. Some new thoughts on symbolism, and a completely original look at the vampire characterization.

"So, it's safe to say, with a four and a half cat movie, that you will enjoy the movie too. Thank you and good night."