Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DS-10 SDpeed Loader

LPatterson

First let me say the service was exceptionally fast and would have probably been received yesterday if Congress had not decided to make Veterans Day another Monday Holiday.

On to the review, these are the cat's meow. I ordered 4 speed loaders & 4 loading blocks & a handle but the handle is not really needed because pushing on the back of the speed loaders pushes the cartridges into the chambers. Each of the loading blocks provides 4 circles of cartridges that are perfectly aligned when the speed loaders are pushed down over them. I tried each of the loading blocks with each of the 4 speed loaders with 3 different brands & 4 types of ammunition including 2 different hollow points & 2 solid nose and all loaded perfectly. Once into the speed loaders the cartridges are held tightly without the slop common to center fire speed loaders but feed into the chambers without any difficulty. This is such a great product that I will be ordering more in the near future.

I was so caught up in these speedloaders I was considering buying a 617 just so I could use them. :goof:

Good thing he's got them for the Taurus 9-shot :cheers: Now I can spend my money on ammo. Although if someone wanted to let their 617 go for a real good price, I might be tempted :devil:

Jerry

Just got my DS-10s, picked up 5 from Dave and a loading block. I'll take them to the range to test them out tomorrow but they sure look great.

I also got a Paco Accurizer tool that puts a wadcutter point and resizes your .22 ammo top be the same every time. Paco made my tool specifically for the 617 and the bullets will now measure .245 to meet the specifics of my barrel. The tool comes with the cupped wadcutter point and I added the Nastinose and the Scorpion as well to test all the different modifications. More news to come.

My six shot 617-1 (w/red dot) shoots 3/4" 6 shot groups at 50 meters with Federal 711B ammo. Why mess with swaging bullets? I shoot a .22, in part, because it's nice not to have to mess with ammo.

Edited by Tom E

Just got my DS-10s, picked up 5 from Dave and a loading block. I'll take them to the range to test them out tomorrow but they sure look great.

I also got a Paco Accurizer tool that puts a wadcutter point and resizes your .22 ammo top be the same every time. Paco made my tool specifically for the 617 and the bullets will now measure .245 to meet the specifics of my barrel. The tool comes with the cupped wadcutter point and I added the Nastinose and the Scorpion as well to test all the different modifications. More news to come.

That nasty nose is very cool !! Full energy delivery!!

I purchased the DR-10 speedloaders and they work perfectly on my S&W 617. For the older S&W K-22 I belive I will have to purchase the newer style thumblatch to insure ther thumblatch does not interfere with the reloader. The older style thumblatches were almost oval while the newer style is smaller on the lower end.

The DR-10 is a grreat product! I hhope the 6 shot version works as well in my older K-22's.

Edited by TonyT

Well after many years of shooting my 6 shot model 617, I finally ordered a 10 shot cylinder for the gun.

My wife still laughs at me for this because I had a choice between a 10 and 6 shot for the same price many years ago. I chose the 6.

I must say that the DR-10 speedloaders tippped the balace on this decision.

Thank you David for making a product so needed by the shooting community!

RLE

These would be great for Steel Challenge too. (no belt needed, btw)

Over the years I have seen shooters wander away from the .22 revolvers for steel, as it ends up taking them too long to load between strings. They end up rushing and then not shooting as well...thus, not having as much fun as they could.

I just ordered my 10 shot reloaders. No handles based on comments here.

41mag

I have to agree about the handles not being "necessary", but they do seem to aid in aligning the speedloader to the cylinder during reloads, making them worth while.

These would be great for Steel Challenge too. (no belt needed, btw)

Over the years I have seen shooters wander away from the .22 revolvers for steel, as it ends up taking them too long to load between strings. They end up rushing and then not shooting as well...thus, not having as much fun as they could.

Yes, exactly. This is the situation that initiated my search for 10-shot speedloaders in the first place. I did shoot my 617 in the rimfire event at the Steel Challenge in 2004--hopefully I didn't annoy my squadmates too much by fiddling around loading the dang gun by hand after every run.... The DS-10s nicely solve the problem as long as you have enough speedloaders ready to get you through the stage.

Funny, I had never even thought about carrying the speedloaders around on my belt. Wonder what kind of holders would fit them? Perhaps the crack research team at North Mountain Tools needs to design something???

Funny, I had never even thought about carrying the speedloaders around on my belt. Wonder what kind of holders would fit them? Perhaps the crack research team at North Mountain Tools needs to design something???

Carmoney,

These are HKS#100 universal loader pouches, they work OK. The acorn nut is a little slippery to grab but you can push the bottom of the pouch and push them up. You can get a little creative and change the acorn nut to a knurled nut or you can drill a hole in the acorn nut and add a string or a ring like the ones used for key rings. That would make it easier to grab.

hks100camogv5.jpg

Whoa that was fast service! E-mail on Friday replied to on Sunday, Paypaled and Bam! Here is my order on Wednesday! :surprise:

The speed loaders work like a charm, they pick up the rounds from the block very nicely and pop them right into the cylinder!

Thank you again to David for such great service and producing a product that meets the needs of shooters everywhere!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! :cheers:

RLE and family

I have about five of these and a single loading block for a 617 10 shot. I actually didn't buy the gun until I seen a review of these. The Speedloaders continue to work long after the gun doesn't due to fouling.