Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which .45 Magazines/Holster?

ChrisStock

I am now the proud owner of my first 1911. Yes, Uncle Sam let me borrow one for quite a few years, but I never had one to call my own until last week. I rescued it from my father in law who had no need for it for the grand sum of $350. Less than 1K through it, and a ton of Wilson Combat parts on a near new SA Milspec .45. He was even kind enough to leave the 50% off coupon in the box for SA parts. I am limited to 10 magazines at the 50% off, and there are no holsters listed. The SA magazines have no bumpers on them either, and I have no idea how important these are to have. I want it to shoot the SS mini matches we have here weekly, plus, every man needs a 1911. At least that's what I told the wife. I don't think she quite believed me, though.

Distilled:

I need an inexpensive holster and magazine thoughts.

Thanks!

Chris

I have used Blade Tech product and think they are the tops.. but they aren't cheap.

Uncle Mikes Kydex holster and mag carrier are cheap and functional and a common place to start.

If you want to shoot quite a bit a mag. well and bumper pads for your mags. will be a must. Several companies sell bumper pads than can be screwed or double side taped onto any 1911 mag.

In the Brownell's catalog you will find a variety of mag pouches and holsters. I have several different Kydex holsters and the cheap Uncle Mike is pretty good for the money. I have a Blade-Tech and it is good, too. Just about three times the cost. I really like the Blade Tech "snap on" mag holders. They are under $20.00 a set.

Good Luck, Buddy

I like most of the Wilson Combat parts, but I have found their magazines difficult to insert when the slide is forward (such as after topping off a mag.). The magazines I like best are the Colt brand, and I particularly like the black stainless steel Colt 8-round mags. CDNN has them for $16.99, and I have used them for some time. I haven't tried SA mags, so I have no recommendation either way there.

The Pachmayr mag pads attach with two screws tapped into the bottom of the mag, so they won't fall off like those held on with tape. I've used them for years and never had a loose pad or a worry about it. I do agree that the mag pads are an improvement. The Pachmayr pads are thick enough to be an aid in seating the mag after a fast reload, and not so thick that they stick out like a sore thumb.

For "range" use or casual use, I like the Uncle Mike's kydex holster and mag pouches, as mentioned above. At $12.64 for the holster and $13.58 for the mag pouch at Midsouth, you can't go wrong. For serious use, I would recommend a holster from Milt Sparks in Idaho. Absolutely great worksmanship, nice looks (you see it, even if it is normally concealed from everyone else), and very durable. The only problem with the Milt Sparks holsters is that they are custom made, so delivery takes a while, and the prices are fairly steep (about $120 with the kydex clips for wearing under a tucked in shirt, as I recall.)

Jim M.

For "range" use or casual use, I like the Uncle Mike's kydex holster and mag pouches, as mentioned above. At $12.64 for the holster and $13.58 for the mag pouch at Midsouth, you can't go wrong. For serious use, I would recommend a holster from Milt Sparks in Idaho. Absolutely great worksmanship, nice looks (you see it, even if it is normally concealed from everyone else), and very durable. The only problem with the Milt Sparks holsters is that they are custom made, so delivery takes a while, and the prices are fairly steep (about $120 with the kydex clips for wearing under a tucked in shirt, as I recall.)

I'll second the vote for Milt Sparks leather holsters in the context of concealed carry. I have a Versa Max II for my Glock 30 and absolutely love it. Just for shooting competition and being new to it at that I would stick with the Uncle Mike's kydex though.

Chris

Edited by Erucolindon

Blackhawk CQC w/ serpa lock doesn't cost too much and it is a very high quality holster. The gun cannot fall out and once you get used to the lock, very smooth to draw. The Uncle Mikes kydex double mag pouch is also very good.

Uncle Mike's is hard to beat for the money.

On the other hand, have ya'll seen the the Safariland holsters in The Blue Press this month? They list a couple adjustable Kydex(or injection molded) belt holsters for under 30 bucks. And one is IDPA legal.

Wilson mags are one of the best you can buy. Another good mag for the .45 is the less expensive Chip mcCormick mag.

Per Jaxshooter and Z40 - Wilson's are great, my favorite Tripp Mags also the McCormicks - Probably others also. IMO I would rather have a cheap gun than a cheap mag. A less than perfect gun will run with good mags. The best gun built will choke with a POS mag. Mags are NOT where to save money.

I started with an Uncle Mike's rig for my Glock, and eventually upgraded to Blade-Tech Injection Molded holsters and mag pouches. They cost about the same as the Uncle Mike's but they can be adjusted to have much looser retention than the Uncle Mike's. The gun comes out of the holster like a rocket!

Best for the money

And here's your best value for quality mags.

Here's what I would go with, direct from Blade Tech:

http://blade-tech.com/Combo-Pak-Special-pr-897.html

It's their combo pack, holster and double mag carrier. Perfect for IDPA or just getting started in USPSA L10 with your $45. You buy this and you'll be all set. Later if you want to go DOH, you just buy the attachment.

~Mitch

Depending on whether you shoot indoor or outdoor will make a difference on which mag to get. If you shoot indoor those hard plastic screw on mag bases will crack and break dropping them on concrete. The McCormick power mag with the thin bases has been much better for me for indoor use. For outdoor any of the 8 round McCormick, Wilson, Tripp mags will be fine. Just keep them reasonably clean and check them regularly to make sure they haven't spread out any. That will make them hang up instead of drop free. When they spread (and they will eventually) whack them with a hammer on the side toward the front from the mag catch slot on up and that should make them move freely again.

For a holster just get one of the injection molded holsters from Bladetech, Uncle Mikes or Fobus. Heat the holster up and slide the gun in and out to loosen the holster some.

I use Fobus double mag holders and then work fine. Any of the inexpensive double mag holders will likely do well. When you get them roll up some cardboard and stuff it down in the mag holder to help hold the magazine up higher. This helps you get a better hand hold on the mag when drawing it out.

Just my .02

Chris