Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Returning back from FMJ to Copper Plated

recardoa

Any suggestions?

Originally I shot copper plated bullets Ranier 230g SWC till I got to a IDPA match in SC and found that my gun did not feed consistantly in the ramp area. The cats that I was shooting with, all shot montanna gold RN and urged me to switch. Since switching to the MG 230g RN no jams since 2000. However, pricing has caused me to consider switching back to plated bullets.

I believe that if I played around with the overall case length (and switched to RN rather than SWC) I could get the plated bullets to perform just as reliably as the MGs.

Currently my MG 230g RN loads are 1.254 in overall length.

Previously the Ranier 230g SWC loads were 1.248 in overall length. These bullets have a pronounced tapered cylindaric cone for a tip

Question:

I have a stock P14-45. Can any one with a para background share if you have had similar difficulties with plated Semi Wad Cutters feeding properly?

Switch to plated or stay with MG? I was considering Berry's 230g RN they are $85.00 per 1000 - .8¢ per round vs MG which are $125.00 per 900 - .12¢ per round?

Click on the link below to see a pic of the rounds!

recardoa

post-8419-1194936149.jpg

My Para clone isn't the happiest critter in the world with SWC's but it seems to do just fine with any RN I've feed it. While I haven't specifically tried plated it runs great with bare lead rounders. I'd think you'd be fine with just about any round nose out there but I can't promise.

I have had a bunch of Para's in 45. Leave your seating die and crimp die right exactly where they are for loading the FMJ and load some of the SWC bullets, measure the first couple and if you need to adjust your charge weight do it but don't touch the dies. The trick here is having the high spots on the SWC match the high spots on the ball ammo, the barrel and ramp don't care what shape the bullet is, they only care where the high spots that make contact are. Getting SWC bullets to feed isn't about OAL or how much shoulder sticks out or any of that stuff at all, it is about making the high spots that contact the ramp and barrel as close to ball as you can.

Sir:

Frightneningly enough you make a great point!! I always thought that it might have been the material that the copper was made of that was sticking in the ramp.

Taking your point one step further, if I were to find a mfg that makes a round nose for 9mm, 40 & 45 cal I would be home free as to use the same components in all three paras. Any suggestions?

ie.

Raineer makes a RN 230g in .45 and a RNFP 180g in .40 and RN 115g in 9mm!!!!

Not sure I follow you here....

Dies will be unique to the caliber loaded as will the die settings, switching between a good working RN load and a SWC or TC loading is as simple as loading the new bullets though....

Sorry, I didn't catch that before. I don't know for sure who would be able to meet your needs for bullets, I have been running only jacketed for about two years now but with bullet prices I will be buying some lead bullets soon to practice with.

i've had problems feeding palted 45 bullets in all my guns, including the round nose plated bullets. the copper plating is very thin and the bullet core is very soft (swaged) and the bullets can and do deform during the feeding process when they hit the feed ramp. i've had them stop dead there and stop when the bullet nose hits the top of the chamber. FMJ bullets have a copper shell that is very hard and this allows them to bounce along happily into the chamber. the same tends to be trus for cast bullets bacause their lead alloy is hard, not soft like swaged bullets. some folks have had good luck with plated bullets, so results vary.

"Originally I shot copper plated bullets Ranier 230g SWC till I got to a IDPA match in SC and found that my gun did not feed consistantly in the ramp area. The cats that I was shooting with, all shot montanna gold RN and urged me to switch. Since switching to the MG 230g RN no jams since 2000. .."

Not to hijack your thread but I just got a batch of MG in for 9MM & .45 ACP in. All are their CMJ-series & my intended use is for the CMJ's is indoor range only. I'd be interested in your accurate loads with the 230 gr MG...I quickly got the 9MM to shoot sub 2-inch groups @ 25 yards but have not been able to come close to that with the .45's although the gun is capable of it with most good, OEM loads.

DMANLEY:

No harm in asking!! That is what we are here for is to share Info.

My Mpontanna golds are 230g CMJ.

Here is my data:

Doc1.doc

This load has worked since 2003!

recardoa

Thanks for the reply. I really like the VV powders and had tried N-320 at 5.0 grains before with the MG-CMJ (W/OAL at 1.26 without checking my notes) and has disappointing results. I'm gonna' match your lower charge and re-shoot...I'd love to get VV to fly in the .45, sure would be nice to have soft, clean -AND- accurate. Nah, couldn't be that lucky...

I was getting Berry's Plated 230 gr round nose style bullets for $18 per 250 from Cabela's. I'd go into the store to buy them.

If I did the math correctly, that's $72 dollars per thousand and then out the door with tax it is $77 dollars.

Cabela's prices for bullets this year have been incredibly stable vs. the reports for other bullets I have heard on this forum and my shooting buddies at matches.

Granted my gun might hiccup trying to feed maybe one out of 100, but I haven't exactly figured out why it does that.

It does it with WWB, and LRN, and/or LSWC bullets too.

Could just be a mag problem.

You could buy a .22LR conversion, if it will work on a Para, or if Para makes one.

If I'm shooting SWC its lead all the way. I've seen to many jams with plated SWC not to. If you want plated I think berry makes a 200 grain and a 230 grain round nose and rainier I know makes a 230.

I use lead for .45 because it just works and is so damn cheap, 200-230 grain .45 jacketed bullets ain't.

Oh if you can find a good .22 conversion thats a major plus! I finally found a good deal on a marvel unit 1 and snatched it up! Now you won't get the same feel as your major loads but it beats saying there went .15 cents, there went .15 cents lol.

Edited by steel1212

• 2 weeks later...

I ran 100 of the Berry's 200 grain .45 plated SWC through w/o one hiccup on Saturday, and then 20 more w/o missing beat yesterday (Sunday) too.

I guess unlike the Beretta I was running in Production/SSP, I have to get the 1911 surgically cleaned and oiled before I go to a match.

Any suggestions?

Originally I shot copper plated bullets Ranier 230g SWC till I got to a IDPA match in SC and found that my gun did not feed consistantly in the ramp area. The cats that I was shooting with, all shot montanna gold RN and urged me to switch. Since switching to the MG 230g RN no jams since 2000. However, pricing has caused me to consider switching back to plated bullets.

I believe that if I played around with the overall case length (and switched to RN rather than SWC) I could get the plated bullets to perform just as reliably as the MGs.

Currently my MG 230g RN loads are 1.254 in overall length.

Previously the Ranier 230g SWC loads were 1.248 in overall length. These bullets have a pronounced tapered cylindaric cone for a tip

Question:

I have a stock P14-45. Can any one with a para background share if you have had similar difficulties with plated Semi Wad Cutters feeding properly?

Switch to plated or stay with MG? I was considering Berry's 230g RN they are $85.00 per 1000 - .8¢ per round vs MG which are $125.00 per 900 - .12¢ per round?

Click on the link below to see a pic of the rounds!

recardoa

post-8419-1194936149.jpg

I would stay with MG's. Berrys charge a lead surcharge of $39.60 for 1000 Rds .45 230gr so that puts berrys @ 123.54 per 1000 rds. or you could try Precision Delta fmj $118.00 per 1000 includes shipping.

http://www.precisiondelta.com/products_new.htm

IMO.

BK

Not if you buy them from Cabela's directly inside their store. You could try calling up Cabela's and asking them about shipping. I was told in the store that it was based on the dollar amount I spent, NOT by weight. There was NO mention of a lead surcharge from Cabela's either.

It wouldn't hurt to call. Ya never know, this time of year, they might be running deals where you don't pay for shipping at all.

I got something like that in a Cabela's email the other day.

Had just picked up a 500 box of Berry's 200gr SWC plated for 37.99 so rounded off to 40 with tax, from my local gun shop. New to reloading for the .45 so will be experimenting with these to see how they run in my Kimber. Will post after I run a few rounds. Love this forum, and all the great people on it.

Folks:

All of your input was greatly appreciated! I went TDY and was in the dark for a bit but now I am back!!

I took brother BKEELER and brother CHILLS1994 advice and contacted Berry's and Precision delta.

Results.......

Both companies’ were solicited for products. At the end of the day (without giving TMI) Precision Delta turned out to be more flexible as well as customer friendly. They will get my future business with out a question! They came through like a champ!!

The competitor (Berry's) had too many conditions and hidden lead charges and wanted to charge separate shipping which drove the price upwards and past the price of the original supplier to begin with. It was implied by the representative; that, .....here is what we have to offer......take it or leave it! So I popped smoke!!! If you are reading this (Female Representtive), you know what you said and exactly how it sounded, because I commented on in during the phone conversation.

My next call will be to Precision Delta to establish an account for future business.

There is a lot to be said about good old fashioned customer service!!!!

recardoa