Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Install my own beavertail grip safety ?

StealthyBlagga

I have a Springfield GI 1911 that I am using as the basis for a single-stack match gun. It has the original GI-style grip safety, which I want to replace with a high-ride beavertail. I was going to simply buy a beavertail jig from Brownells and hand-file the frame to fit the new beavertail. However, in browsing the EGW website, I see that they offer a service of "weld frame on Springfield or gun with not enough material to do a proper Brown beavertail" ... is this necessary for a proper fit of any beavertail, or is this specific to the Brown beavertail only ? Is my plan of fitting the beavertail myself doomed to failure ?

rule number 1, for home pistol work. Modify cheap part to fit expensive. Never the other way around. I am all for do it your self but if you run into a must have mod that requires the expensive part (frame) to be fit it's best to seak out a pro with the right tools for the job. That being said I am pretty sure I have run across beavertail safeties specifically made for Springfield frames that only require the usual fitting. For that matter I'd be willing to bet a factory one from their loaded line would work without cutting on your frame.

I have a Springfield GI 1911 that I am using as the basis for a single-stack match gun. It has the original GI-style grip safety, which I want to replace with a high-ride beavertail. I was going to simply buy a beavertail jig from Brownells and hand-file the frame to fit the new beavertail. However, in browsing the EGW website, I see that they offer a service of "weld frame on Springfield or gun with not enough material to do a proper Brown beavertail" ... is this necessary for a proper fit of any beavertail, or is this specific to the Brown beavertail only ? Is my plan of fitting the beavertail myself doomed to failure ?

SA uses a 0.220" radius for it's grip safety. The "standard" radius is 0.250".

Later,

Chuck

edit; Smith and Alexander will sell you one for the SA http://www.smithandalexander.com/gripsafety.html

Edited by ChuckS

Probably what they are talking about is the new Springfields with the Smith and Alexander style beavertails have a .220 radius not the .250 used on the Ed Browns. When you put an Ed Brown on them you have a gap between the frame and the beavertail. The GI models are not cut, so you can fit the .250 on correctly.