Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does switching platforms hurt your scores?

bp78

Does switching between platforms really hurt you?

I have an itch to get a USPSA Production / IDPA SSP gun but I'm concerned that switching back & forth from the 1911 platform will slow me down. I'd appreciate some advice on what the folks here think about switching or what guns are better suited for a 1911 shooter. I know the Glock trigger and grip angle are a pretty big change from the 1911 as is the DA first shot of an SP01.

I've been shooting IDPA matches regularly (~4 month) for about two years now and have started shooting more IPSC matches. The 9mm STI Trojan I shoot is a gamey IDPA ESP gun but the minor scoring is really starting to sting at the USPSA matches. I'll probably buy a .40 single stack before long but still want a Prod/SSP gun for matches where the Single Stack turn-out is low. A match this weekend saw 15 production shooters but only 4 of us in single stack. I like the DA/SA trigger on the SP01 but I haven't seen a clear thread on it's legal standing in IDPA SSP. A glock is readily availble with mags, holsters, and sights but the grip and trigger concern me more about switching regularly.

Edited by bp78

ever thought about an M&P? :) i don't shoot my production/ssp/esp g34 much (only classifiers) but a m&p my friend shoots and feels pretty good, trigger wise.

The only switching i do is when there's a classifier at our match. I'll shoot the match with one gun (open) and shoot the classifer with a single stack (kimber 45), revolver (S&W 625) and production gun (G34) along with the open (SVI 9mm major). Switching between the open, ss and production gun isn't too bad but when it comes to the revolver, MAN i suck!!

Edited by yoshidaex

I really believe that if you are going to compete in multiple divisions, you need to keep the same firearms platform if possible.

Staying with a gun that has the same weight, balance, grip angle etc. should be a definate advantage.

It's also an advantage if you can use the same holster and magazines across platforms.

If you are used to a 1911 and want to migrate to USPSA production, consider a Para LDA.

I would try to find a used one that has been tuned up by a good gunsmith.

Tony

Edited by 38superman

The SP-01 points like a 1911 and the SA trigger action can be very similar. I don't think that the SP-01 will be able to make the SSP weight limit but I have seen here and on the Cz forum that it can make ESP with some careful choices of stocks and stuff. Do a search here and at the Cz forum. The FP safety will need to be deactivated to obtain the short 1911-like trigger reset. That may be an issue in IDPA.

Later,

Chuck

(Stuart? Matt?)

I don't have an issue shooting a 1911/2011 and glocks, but many do. As for switching from one division to another, I think the biggest hurdle is in the recoil impulse and timing. It takes me a lot longer to adjust to the different recoil impulse of my various guns. I have learned this the hard way. There may be some out there that can switch fairly easy, but I would suspect they are the very upper end of the shooters out there.

Pick a gun that works for you and commit to shooting it for months. Jumping from one gun to another causes havoc, at least for me. I am primarily a Glock 34 production shooter, but I have a Glock 24 that I've dabbled in Lim/Lim-10 with. They are about as similar as you can get, but the recoil is very different because of power factor. I have to reprogram after I switch from one to the other to get my timing back, and shoot the gun smoothly.

two of the easiest guns to transition too from a 1911 for IDPA SSP and production would be the Smith M&P and the CZ..the CZ will take some work to be able to make the DA work for you..but one good practice session and you should have it.

I like the CZ mainly because they are fairly easy to work on, point really well and have a good balance to them. but you'll have to try some out and find what works for you..

when i switched from a 1911 to production i bought a Para LDA. obviously the grip angle is familiar, and the only thing you have to learn is the trigger. I rather like their trigger, its light even though it is a longer pull than some guns like a glock, M&P, etc. but with a bit of practice its fine. since i've starting shooting other production guns, i still appreciate the LDA as the best platform for me since i am so fimiliar with 1911s.

i'm going to sell my LDA because i use it so little and want the cash to complete other projects, and if i want to shoot production in the future i have an SP01 and stainless CZ. but i also learned that production isn't as much fun as using a single action 1911 so i'll not venture into production often except to do something different.

good luck

I switch back and forth between a Kimber 1911 and Glock 34 a good bit. For me, I think it is more application of the basics than gun. In that I mean I dry fire a a good bit if I'm switching and shoot a practice session or two. While your results may differ, I have fired lots of ammo through both and I'm used to them both. I feel that the triggers on both are similar in that both have a noticeable take up and break, followed by a positive reset. Yes there are minor amounts of different take up, reset and some weight differences, but it is much easier than going to something like a DA/SA gun, and you can tune the triggers on both if you so choose. In addition, I use the same holster set up, same sights, and same reload techniques.

But for an SSP gun if you're not used to anything other than a 1911, I think the Smith M&P is an excellent choice. My mentor shoots them almost exclusively in addition to my brother. I think they are an improved Glock, but I personally haven't found one with a trigger that is either stock or tuned that has a really positive reset like the Glocks. The benefits to the M&P though are an adjustable grip, much more positive magazine ejection, and compared to a G17/G19, less recoil impulse. Depending on where you go, they run about the price of a new Glock or less, and through the end of the year Smith is offering 2 free mags and a $50 rebate.