Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

out running the timer

Topmaul

Is it possible to get far enough a head of the person with the timer that it will not count your shots. Let's assume your a 16 year old shooter who is in top physical shape and the recorder and RO are well old and frankly a bit out of shape say the young shooter takes off down the course of fire taking out targets left and right at the same time leaving the old timers in the dust.

IF the timer fails to count your shots it is still counting time correct?

pictures129.jpg This picture was not from the same match but my son is moving out down the course of fire.

Edited by Topmaul

Yes I have seen it happen a lot and a 8 second difference in a field course will change the final results expecially in the higher classes.

In fact those newer timers that look like cell phones, as they come from the factory, don't pick up minor very well even on a stand and shoot.

Adjust your timer, if you can, and keep the microphone facing the shooter and watching to see a last shot time registered is how I try to RO. Bring it up into your line of sight as the shooter is finishing.

Edited by BSeevers

close for the last shot is important especially with production shooters and mouse fart loads. Though the problem remains if you need to count the number of shots fired for some reason.

Open guns well they seem to register just about anywhere.

IF the timer fails to count your shots it is still counting time correct?

Yeah, it's possible, and yeah the time stands unless either the shooter or the RO KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt that the time showing on the timer is a farce. You know it when you see a time of 7~10 seconds on a 32 round field course (or something similar) ...... you just know when it happens.

Let's assume your a 16 year old shooter who is in top physical shape and the recorder and RO are well old and frankly a bit out of shape say the young shooter takes off down the course of fire taking out targets left and right at the same time leaving the old timers in the dust.

As others have stated YES! it is possible to OUTRUN the RO who's secondary job is as a "timer holder". The RO's primary job is "saftey" and if they can't keep up to perform their primary task is is time to replace them or ustilze them in capacity other than a stage CRO.

This may sound harsh but the reality is that the game rules mandate an oversight to prevent (or at least attempt to prevent) any unsafe actions.

Edited by Crusher

I have seen track-meet style stages where I would not want to be the RO for exactly that reason. Obviously the first and last shots recorded are the most important and personally I really don't ever use the clock to count rounds at a round specific stage. I also, like Bill Seevers suggested, try to watch the timer recording the last few shots.........

Bring it up into your line of sight as the shooter is finishing.

That's exactly what I try to teach people to do with the timer. I like to hold it up where I've got it in my peripheral vision as the last few shots are fired. I'm not interested in the time on the clock at that point, just that it's changing with the last few shots fired.