Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

High capacity magazines in California?

mjohns930

I want to start competing in USPSA and steel matches in California but how do I get high capacity mags while living in that terrible state? I am not legally a resident so does that make a difference? I understand that I don't need them for all types of competition but I also just want to have some for the sake of having them. The reason I ask is that obviously the open and limited shooters have to get big ass mags somehow so how do they do it? Thanks for any help.

Legally...they don't unless they owned mags prior to the ban.

Rich

ETA: It's why if USPSA ever wanted to help out shooters on the west coast (and a club in California wanted to make a bid), we could host a LPR Nationals w/ L-10. However, I don't know how popular this would be with the masses, but it would be interesting to have Open & Limited go against each other at the same time. I doubt this will happen. Just like I don't think we'll ever see a single Nationals again (my preference).

Edited by uscbigdawg

<_< So What am I remembering about us being -"out of state" and visiting with our Hi cap mags and guns. Mike had a link on the Steel Challenge wed site.

<_< It was <_< we could, bring them in , use them, so long as when we left we still had them with us. As in we could not give them away , louse them , =sell them = jail time :blink:.

some one has the link to the wording on the leagaezzz of it

AlamoShooter, if you or someone looking at this can possibly find a link as to the legalities of your particular statement please post it so I can at least have a look at this. So if someone from a state that has no mag capacity restriction bought a firearm there and "used" it in California for competitions and the like maybe that would be ok through a legal loophole or something. I am not saying that I am going to do this because of legalities but if there is a loophole or something that would allow it that would be good to know. Thanks for reading and giving out any info known in this.

AlamoShooter, if you or someone looking at this can possibly find a link as to the legalities of your particular statement please post it so I can at least have a look at this. So if someone from a state that has no mag capacity restriction bought a firearm there and "used" it in California for competitions and the like maybe that would be ok through a legal loophole or something. I am not saying that I am going to do this because of legalities but if there is a loophole or something that would allow it that would be good to know. Thanks for reading and giving out any info known in this.

See this LINK

See this LINK

So reading the link you posted it would be legal to do it for competitions only for an out of state resident. But what about practicing for a competition with those same magazines? It seems like that would be prohibited to practice in California with the hicaps. Any more thoughts or hard evidence on this would be awesome. Thanks for replying.

See this LINK

So reading the link you posted it would be legal to do it for competitions only for an out of state resident. But what about practicing for a competition with those same magazines? It seems like that would be prohibited to practice in California with the hicaps. Any more thoughts or hard evidence on this would be awesome. Thanks for replying.

I am not a lawyer but I did not see any mention of magazines in that link.

See this LINK

I am not a lawyer but I did not see any mention of magazines in that link.

A semi-automatic pistol that has capability of accepting magazine with greater than 10-rounds is considered an "assult weapon" in CA. You can take "assult weapons" to CA for competitive use only, but then they must go back with you, you can't lend, trade, sell to someone in CA.

Being out-of-state then moving to CA, you can't take anything considered illegal into state(CA). Now if you lived in CA before it was illegal to own hi-cap and you have them, you can keep them, you don't have to turn them in, but you cannot sell, trade, lend, etc. Once you move out of CA, you can't bring them back in either. Call DOJ or a firearms lawyer from nra-ila website for more information. I am not a laywer either, just trying to share what has been described to me from my own experience with calling CA DOJ and reading the publications they suggested.

A semi-automatic pistol that has capability of accepting magazine with greater than 10-rounds is considered an "assult weapon" in CA. You can take "assult weapons" to CA for competitive use only, but then they must go back with you, you can't lend, trade, sell to someone in CA.

That doesn't sound quite right.. that is true for rifles.. but not pistols.

We can buy widebody SVI's and Para's here (as long as they're on the drop list, STI's are not)..

No matter what the laws here are truly messed up..

To the original poster.. Come out and shoot Limited 10, Production or Single Stack or Revolver

We can buy widebody SVI's and Para's here (as long as they're on the drop list, STI's are not)..

To the original poster.. Come out and shoot Limited 10, Production or Single Stack or Revolver

Page 14 of CA Firearms Law 2006

The following definitions shall apply relative to defining assault weapons:

(1) "Magazine" shall mean any ammunition feeding device.

(2) "Capacity to accept more than 10 rounds" shall mean capable of

accommodating more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include a feeding

device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10

rounds.

Yes, you can buy widebody SV and Para, even Barsto-STI, but what about the magazines?

accommodating more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include a feeding

device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10

rounds.

Yes, you can buy widebody SV and Para, even Barsto-STI, but what about the magazines?

no mags-that's why we vacation in oregon :rolleyes:

A semi-automatic pistol that has capability of accepting magazine with greater than 10-rounds is considered an "assult weapon" in CA.

Nope:

(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

A ) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.

B ) A second handgrip.

C ) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.

D ) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

You can see the whole thing at http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12275.php

Edited by ChuckS

A semi-automatic pistol that has capability of accepting magazine with greater than 10-rounds is considered an "assult weapon" in CA.

Nope:

(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

A ) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.

B ) A second handgrip.

C ) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.

D ) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

Read the bottom of Section 12276.1....it has to deal with "competitive pistols". A pistol is not considered "competitive" and thus an "assult weapon" unless the feeding device ("magazine") has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.

Edited by HoMiE

rounds.

no mags-that's why we vacation in oregon :rolleyes:

;)

Nope:

B ) A second handgrip.

Read the bottom of Section 12276.1....it has to deal with "competitive pistols". A pistol is not considered "competitive" and thus an "assult weapon" unless the feeding device ("magazine") has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.

All I know is that the bottom part of 12276.1 was created when they found out that the original assault weapon bill made olympic pistols illegal. That section gives them an out.

Here is the bottom line. If a gun was listed as an AW, and you had it in the state prior to 23 Jan 2001, you could register it prior to 23 January 2001 and keep it. After that date, unregistered AWs became illegal and new ones could not be imported into the state. (There are some games going on with what are being called Off List Lowers (OLL)) but that is pretty much the bottom line. That being said, there would be no way that the BarSto, SVI or Para would be sold in Ca now. by your definition, the CZ-75 SP-01 that I bought legally in 2006 would not be legal.

This place is pretty bad when it comes to gun stuff but let's not make it worse than it is.

Nope:

B ) A second handgrip.

All I know is that the bottom part of 12276.1 was created when they found out that the original assault weapon bill made olympic pistols illegal. That section gives them an out.

Here is the bottom line. If a gun was listed as an AW, and you had it in the state prior to 23 Jan 2001, you could register it prior to 23 January 2001 and keep it. After that date, unregistered AWs became illegal and new ones could not be imported into the state. (There are some games going on with what are being called Off List Lowers (OLL)) but that is pretty much the bottom line. That being said, there would be no way that the BarSto, SVI or Para would be sold in Ca now. by your definition, the CZ-75 SP-01 that I bought legally in 2006 would not be legal.

This place is pretty bad when it comes to gun stuff but let's not make it worse than it is.

I agree with you that CA is not a fun place to be if you like guns. I am not trying to make it worse either. Like I said in my previous post, I am just trying to share what I found out when I looked up the laws and called the CA DOJ when I did my research when I moved to Oregon a couple of years ago. I knew I would be traveling back and forth and wanted to have information if I was ever stopped and questions by whoever has the authority to do so.

I agree with you that CA is not a fun place to be if you like guns. I am not trying to make it worse either. Like I said in my previous post, I am just trying to share what I found out when I looked up the laws and called the CA DOJ when I did my research when I moved to Oregon a couple of years ago. I knew I would be traveling back and forth and wanted to have information if I was ever stopped and questions by whoever has the authority to do so.

Cool, thanks! Yeah, it is goofy: A visitor can come in with a .50, AR, all sorts of "unsafe" handguns but not a mag > 10 rounds. Go figure. It's just that I have seen a lot of forum lawyering (not so much Brian's but others) where local "experts" are giving very bad advice and people who don't live here are telling us what we can or can't do! But, you know what, I like it here and I am friggin staying.

Got to go finish packing for Area 2! TNS tomorrow night! :goof:

Later,

Chuck

PS: Move to Az? Naw: Too Hot. Except when it's too cold (The 2006 WSSSC comes to mind :unsure: )