Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"THE" magwell

the duck of death

• 4 months later...
i was told that the ICE was a pain in the butt to install

i use THE brass and it works good as anyone can ask.

I may try the ice soon.

Harmon

I have installed two Ice magwells. One on my G-22 and one on my 35 and both went on in less than 5 minutes. I have heard of others having to shave plastic but have not ran into it myself.

• 4 weeks later...

I installed one on my G24, I like the weight. But I had a couple of instances of the mag dropping out of the gun on it's own (could have been my thumb, but I didn't have that problem before changing) this last weekend. Not sure if the Taylor Freelance Mag extensions were hitting the magwell holding up the engagement of magazine catch.

I might do some relief work on the Well and see how that goes.

I've got an Ice "light" that I switch between a G35 limited gun and a G17 open with no issues. It takes less than five minutes to make the change. I also like that my plastic Glock mags aren't rubbing on metal (aluminum or brass) every time I make a mag change.

Just my $0.02

I have one and love it but it dings like a Mofo on crack. Did 20 minutes worth of reloads and was all gone to hell. Also have had problem with mags getting stuck because of that. Going to have to take a dremel tool to it and smooth it out.

Which, if either, of these magwells will fit in the IDPA box for ESP on a G22? I want to build one to use for both IDPA ESP and Limited.

Neither will fit in the IDPA box. I would suggest a JP magwell if you are wanting something that is IDPA legal.

I THINK the lightweight ICE mag funnel is IDPA legal for size and weight.

I have the JP and I hate it. I'd rather just use a Scherer or Taylor aluminum slug plug

I may try the ice soon.

Harmon

I have installed two Ice magwells. One on my G-22 and one on my 35 and both went on in less than 5 minutes. I have heard of others having to shave plastic but have not ran into it myself.

JoeD explained last month to me about the 2 different frame size in the Glock family of the medium frame such as the 34/34 17/22..

maybe that's the answer to some fitting issues..

I may try the ice soon.

Harmon

JoeD explained last month to me about the 2 different frame size in the Glock family of the medium frame such as the 34/34 17/22..

maybe that's the answer to some fitting issues..

Weird -- I didn't think there was a bit of difference between 3rd generation, small frame Glocks. What is the difference?

Regardless, the magwell is a gray zone, IMO, in Glocks and IDPA. Even if the Dawson fit the box, and (my vague memory is it didn't) it secures with a brass plug that adds weight -- even the lighter of the models. So then you have to reconcile the plug with this rule:

"B. Add-on weights for a competitive advantage (this includes,

but is not limited to, weighted magazines, tungsten guide rods,

brass magazine wells, weighted grips)."

Edited by boo radley