Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which custom shops to go through for an STI 1911 Single Stack in .45

Okay, so I've read about some custom shops who put together STI framed guns. I think Brazos Custom is one and Dawson Precision is another.

I was thinking about an STI Spartan but I would like a stainless gun first and/or a hardchromed gun second.

This would be for USPSA's single stack division and IDPA's CDP division.

I do like the Spartan as far as price goes, but I have heard that it is made in the Phillipines and has a lot of MIM parts. Again, it is NOT a stainless or hardchromed gun. I don't want to put up with the hassle of shipping the gun back and forth to a plate-ing company.

I just want the closest thing to a "plug and play", run 100% uber reliable, 1911 Single Stack in .45 with an STI frame. I don't want to buy a gun have it puke all the time and then have the frustration of sending it off to a "gunsmith" to work on it.

Oops, I almos fergot. I'd like to buy a .22LR conversion for it too. Any recommendations BESIDES a Kimber? Any come with a "stainless-like" finish?

Edited by persona non grata

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think that the Kimber, Wilson, or Ciener .22 conversions will work with an STI. STI single stacks have ramped barrels and those conversions won't work with a ramped barrel. Not sure about the Marvel kit, but I bet it would work as they do make one for STI 2011s, and they've got ramped barrels as well.