Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 SS 9mm 10 round flush fitting magazines

chad GUNder

I am having no luck finding 10 round flush fitting 9mm 1911 Single Stack magazines. I'm being told they exist but where can you find them? All day I can find 38 super 10 rounders but no 9mm.

Is somebody making them, or can something be modified?

Tripp Research lists a 10 rd, removable baseplate and flex follower (10R-9MM-RG-FLX) as "COMING SOON"

You might give them a call and see what "soon" means :rolleyes:

In any case, please let us know what they say :D

Edited by kmca

Tripp Research lists a 10 rd, removable baseplate and flex follower (10R-9MM-RG-FLX) as "COMING SOON"

Awesome find Brutha! :cheers: Coming soon means 60 days, and they have a "First to notify" list where they will e-mail you confirmation of the first stock.

Still, what is everybody doing today? Somebody has to have to rounders out there.

Awesome find Brutha! :cheers: Coming soon means 60 days, and they have a "First to notify" list where they will e-mail you confirmation of the first stock.

Still, what is everybody doing today? Somebody has to have to rounders out there.

I've got a dozen of the Springfield mags. Since I've just been using them for Steel Challenge, 9 rounds isn't a problem. It is a problem in Single Stack Division but 9 isn't a big handicap, you just have to plan your reloads accordingly.

I've got a dozen of the Springfield mags. Since I've just been using them for Steel Challenge, 9 rounds isn't a problem. It is a problem in Single Stack Division but 9 isn't a big handicap, you just have to plan your reloads accordingly.

I agree, but... Me + steel + iron sights = 10 rounds is better! :angry2:

When I get my hands on something, I'll be reporting back!

If I was going to shoot 9mm minor in SS, I'd definitely want 10 rounds vs the 8 you'd get in Major .40 or .45 - still debatable if even the +2 extra rounds would offset the minor disadvantage, but definitely better than just +1.

If you load your 9mm longer than normal, some people have been able to make Wilson or McCormick 10 round 38 Super mags work to run 9mm, but it requires tuning and is not 100%.

I have Chip McCormick 10 round .38 Super mags and they work great in my 9mm with my rounds loaded 1.160 OAL

I have heard many people say they won't work in their 9mm...I guess I got lucky, but I've never had a problem with them.

Metalform is now making ten round 9mm P magazines. They use a wrap-around floorplate - basepad like Tripp Cobramags to disguise a slight protrusion. Overall length is actually a bit less than a flat floorplate standard magazine with screw-on basepad. Would Single Stack allow that? They fit The Box and I have ordered a bunch of them for me and my IDPA club. Their item number 9-743 but NOT shown on their website.

I have some of the CMC ten round Super magazines that will (usually) feed 9mm in my Colt but not my Springfield. I have to keep fresh springs in them, I had a failure with one last week and would be replacing the springs if I did not have the Metalforms coming. I also had one to pop its baseplate welds and come apart. Fortunately not in the gun.

Rumors have been floating for years about various makers finally perfecting the 10-round 9mm mag. But mostly due to the tapered design of the 9mm cartridge, it's never happened.

So now we have a "COMING SOON" from one manufacturer and a phantom part number from another. <_<

Until somebody credible comes on here and says, "OK, I have the ___________ 10-round mags right here in my hands, I just got back from the range and they function great with factory ammo," I am not a believer.

Rumors have been floating for years about various makers finally perfecting the 10-round 9mm mag. But mostly due to the tapered design of the 9mm cartridge, it's never happened.

So now we have a "COMING SOON" from one manufacturer and a phantom part number from another. <_<

Until somebody credible comes on here and says, "OK, I have the ___________ 10-round mags right here in my hands, I just got back from the range and they function great with factory ammo," I am not a believer.

I couldn't agree more. I will keep this topic open until I pull some real ones.

Thanks guys.

Chad,

Mike is "spot on".... as he often is:)

I shot a Springer 9 mm SS for a whole year in IDPA---and spent hours (maybe days or weeks) trying to find the 10 round solution. I know several MI shooters who use the .38 super mags... and claim to load 10... but they are also the same "dudes" that we see clearing jams at every other stage.

I'm waiting too.... 'cause in my favorite shooting sport my 9 + 1 Springer is clearly at a disadvantage to lots of other ESP guns like the XD, M & P, and even well tuned G-34s who are at 10+1...and an extra round every reload.

Chad,

Mike is "spot on".... as he often is:)

I shot a Springer 9 mm SS for a whole year in IDPA---and spent hours (maybe days or weeks) trying to find the 10 round solution. I know several MI shooters who use the .38 super mags... and claim to load 10... but they are also the same "dudes" that we see clearing jams at every other stage.

I'm waiting too.... 'cause in my favorite shooting sport my 9 + 1 Springer is clearly at a disadvantage to lots of other ESP guns like the XD, M & P, and even well tuned G-34s who are at 10+1...and an extra round every reload.

I shoot my trojan 40 with 9 round tripp mags. 9+1 at the start. I've never been at a disadvantage any more than someone with 10+1. some stages work out well for me, some for the 10 round guys. Since we put at least 2 shots on a target, i've got an even numer of rounds to start. Courses of fire at the max 18 rounds (for IDPA). For USPSA, I haven't had a problem.

Edited by Bear23

I agree with you for "most" IDPA shooting... but throw in an activator or two and the 2 extra rounds in the mags in an average stage still do help.

The reason I posted.. is that I know Chad is 90% an USPSA shooter and probably 10% IDPA.

In the higher round count stages in USPSA the extra rounds in the mag. are a VERY BIG DEAL.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my Metalform 9-743, ten of 9mm magazines, tried them out, sent them back. The separate rear spacer was too short and the magazine would tie up upon loading, or if you did not notice it on the last round, not seat in the gun. They put in the right length spacers and returned them in short order. They went through another testfire with little trouble and two IDPA matches with no trouble.

I can recommend them with the caution that you look to see that the separate rear spacer does not move up and down appreciably. Why they did not use the integral front spacer creased in on the Springfield Front Ramp magazines, I cannot fathom. Maybe they wanted to be able to use the same tubes for .38 Super with no spacer and wider follower.

Details at:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php...221#post1661221

I have been able to get 10 rounds of 9MM into a CMC 10MM Magazine and to feed in my Springfield, but if I don't fire all that's in the magazine the top round will creep forward reqiring me to remove the magazine by hand. Often that top round will the be held by the rim on the feed lips like it's giving me the finger. <_<

The best luck I ever had was with stock Colt .38 Super mags with Wilson "guts". My last Colt mag purchase was in 1984, so I don't know if the mags are still the same. I do not like the Wilson mag bodies for 9mm or .38 Super. The followers crack frequently and unless the springs are a week away from wearing out, they are a bitch to seat. The Colt mags with Wilson guts seat easily even with new springs.