Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

anyone using a P18 9mm for ESP

Beretta Lover

I am going to probably start shooting a Para P18 9mm hi cap in ESP

I thought I would get a dawson magwell and grind it as needed to fit in "the box"

DOes anyone use one of these?

WHat type base pads are you running with your magwell.

Do you use 9mm spacers or anything like that?

thanks

A friend of mine had a couple of them with S&A magwells and they wouldn't make weight. He put a bunch of cash into a pair of guns that he couldn't use. Better get your gun weighed with a magazine inserted. You can't trust Para's published weights. 43 oz max for ESP.

yep gonna be real close, just re weighed mine on a calibrated scale, 43.7 with Dawson Plus 4 pads, gonna hope removing the Dawson pad and using factory plastic one will get it under, if not I still have some room.

I shoot one, using a s&a shorty magwell. I use Arredonodo +0 base pads..When I shoot IDPA matches, I have to remove the full length guide rod and use a 'GI' plunger to make weight restrictions., Also had to lighten the frame a little, under the grips.

Watch your six...

S/B

A buddy of mine was just mentioning the P-18 to me today. As he was planning to use it in IDPA. Will it make the weight limit as stock without the magwell and base pads? Any problems with feeding with the 9mm's?

you'll have to get one and put it on a calibrated scale.. The 9mm barrel will weigh more than a 40 barrel, but the diffference else where who knows. I would assume the weight savings in a Stainless gun should make it with room to spare

I can't speak for the p-18 specifically, but I do know my PARA SSP .45 was close to 4 oz overweight for CDP after I put an S&A magwell on it. To make it legal, I had to remove a lot of material under the grips, swap the FL guide rod for a GI plunger and swap the nice coco grips for a set of factory Colt grips. When it was weighed for the Tri States Regional in Memphis it came in at 41oz exactly. It seems that Para makes their guns somewhat heavier than some others.

I have been told by the folks at Caspian that, all else being equal, stainless steel weighs more than carbon steel.

That's odd, I am using the same source telling me stainless is lighter.

ESP has a few more oz's allowed than CDP.

Carbon Steel (.4% C) .283 lb/cu in

Carbon Steel (.9% C) .282 lb/cu in

Stainless Steel (18% Cr, 8% Ni) .290 lb/cu in

Stainless Steel (17% Cr, .12% C) .280 lb/cu in

Stainless Steel (27% Cr, .35% C) .270 lb/cu in

I guess it depends on what type of SS, but some varients are lighter than carbon steel.

I checked the weight on my Para P16. Weighed it without the grips as I have several I'm considering several, including running it with just grip tape. Mine has the S&A magwell installed (so a portion of the bottom of the frame has been cut away). Has FLGR too.

Weight with a 10 round mag was 41 oz.

BTW, weight of a 10 roung mag was 3 oz. 16 round mag was 3.2 oz.

This was done at the post office, so I think the scales are pretty reliable.

ETA, Mine is the SS version.

Edited by kdmoore

• 2 weeks later...
I checked the weight on my Para P16. Weighed it without the grips as I have several I'm considering several, including running it with just grip tape. Mine has the S&A magwell installed (so a portion of the bottom of the frame has been cut away). Has FLGR too.

taking the gun to the post office......here we go...

I have been told that the scales at the post office actually weigh a little heavy, just to make sure that people absolutely have enough postage on things. If anyone has the opportunity to compare an actual postal scale to a scale they know is corrently calibrated, I'd be very curious about the results.

taking the gun to the post office......here we go...

yup...i'll check for your picture hangin on the walll next week.. :blink:

i'll bet you'll have to do a bit of trimming to get to weight and i would check it with 3 or 4 different scales before i went to a match with it...