Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Higher cost of shooting

JD45

I could only vote for one thing in the poll so i said use cheaper components.

I already cast my own bullets for my 45 revolver and 38 special revolver. I am now set up to cast for 9mm and 40 cal.

The good thing about shooting revolver is I get my brass back most of the time.

I will also be dry firing more and live fire less.

Edited by vrmn1

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for shooting less matches*.

I'm switching from limited to open for 2008. I know the timing isn't right at all, but I don't think it really matters much because I don't see prices for components coming down anytime soon.

Just shooting to have fun.

*less MAJOR matches (lost brass). I'll still shoot the same amount of local matches were I can re-coup at least some of my brass back.

It is becoming obvious this is a matter of national security. We need an armed population to be secure in our life, liberty and pursuit. It goes without saying our guns are useless without ammunition and ammunition is costing us dearly. Not having a steady, constant supply of affordable ammunition is too terrifying to contemplate. The free flow of ammunition is the basis of our sport and conversation. It is time we declare war on this terror and take appropriate steps to protect our way of life. To these ends the following foriegn ammunition producing states have been identified as possible targets for military action to secure a constant supply for ourselves and our posterity. It is up to you good shooters to determine which ammunition producing state should be first secured:

1. Czech Republic

2. Philippines

3. Minnesota

4. Illinois

5. Arkansas

The cost of jacketed bullets have gone up to the point that I plan on using cast lead bullets this summer during practice and local outdoor matches. Indoor matches in my area must be shot with jacketed bullets and I have enough to get me through the Winter.

Even though the cost of even reloading cast bullets have gone up I still plan of doing more shooting--more practice and more matches. Mainly because I was away from IPSC for so long that all my classifications expired and when I started back up I only was able to get a "C" classification. My open percent is 46.04 and Limited is 53.40. I plan on getting my "B" card back by the end of the summer. Since I'm old and slow this means lots of practice.

The cost of jacketed bullets have gone up to the point that I plan on using cast lead bullets this summer during practice and local outdoor matches...

Even though the cost of even reloading cast bullets have gone up I still plan of doing more shooting--more practice and more matches....

Since I'm old and slow this means lots of practice.

Same approach I'm taking. Trying to find a source for a whole bunch of cast lead 40/180s right now. I've also been researching load data for cast lead bullets... found some, but not a lot... the main body of knowledge seems to be centered around jacketed/plated/coated bullets.

Sounds like I better get used to dirty guns and lots of smoke.

The cost of jacketed bullets have gone up to the point that I plan on using cast lead bullets this summer during practice and local outdoor matches...

Even though the cost of even reloading cast bullets have gone up I still plan of doing more shooting--more practice and more matches....

Since I'm old and slow this means lots of practice.

Same approach I'm taking. Trying to find a source for a whole bunch of cast lead 40/180s right now. I've also been researching load data for cast lead bullets... found some, but not a lot... the main body of knowledge seems to be centered around jacketed/plated/coated bullets.

Sounds like I better get used to dirty guns and lots of smoke.

I have enough reloading books that I can find lots of loads for cast bullet loads but like the one from Laser Cast.

Being an old bullseye shooter who shot lots of 200 SWC with soft lube and 4.2-4.5 of Bullseye I'm used to dirty guns and smoke. :lol: