Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

K or L frame

Gregg K

For you speed loader guys that have used both K and L frame 6 shot revolvers, which one is faster/easier to load? I was looking to use a 686 in IDPA SSR division. I don't mind running a heavy gun. I see that the best SSR times at this years IDPA nationals were turned in by a model 19 and a 67.

I always liked a K frame best with either Jetloaders or Safariland Comp IIIs. The smaller cylinder is easier to hit reliably. But it's what you get use to. It's only a milisecond difference so go with what fits best in your hand.

I may be wrong (but I doubt it) :devil:

But I think that the slight difference in reload speeds MAY be made up in faster split times with the heavier gun. It also will depend on things like the size of your hands and the type of reload you are going to do. If you have smaller hands, you can still perform either reload style with a K frame.

I like the K Frame beter too. That may have to be due to shooting them more, but I did read somewhere that the lighter cylinder was easier to turn than the heavier cylinder of the L or N Frame, but evidently Jerry hasn't read this. :D

Not to name drop :) but I had this conversation with Jerry at Sturm's indoor match in February. Jerry said the K frame is quicker because of the reload. I don't think that the weight difference between the K & L frame makes that much difference at 125-130 PF loads. I think that falls more under the "it's the Indian, not the arrow" discussion.

Not to name drop :) but I had this conversation with Jerry at Sturm's indoor match in February. Jerry said the K frame is quicker because of the reload. I don't think that the weight difference between the K & L frame makes that much difference at 125-130 PF loads. I think that falls more under the "it's the Indian, not the arrow" discussion.

I would have guessed that the smaller diameter cylinder would be harder to load. I haven't done any shooting with speed loaders so I guess it pays to ask. I'm just used to throwing moons at my 625.

If I keep shooting revolvers do I have to change my name to Jerry? There are already 3 that I'm aware of. :lol:

I would have guessed that the smaller diameter cylinder would be harder to load. I haven't done any shooting with speed loaders so I guess it pays to ask. I'm just used to throwing moons at my 625.

If I keep shooting revolvers do I have to change my name to Jerry? There are already 3 that I'm aware of. :lol:

Usually it is the amount of metal between the charge holes that is the limiting factor (625 vis a vis 610). In discussing split times in "Ultimate Revolver" Jerry identified a k-frame as the fastest to shoot.

I'm so slow it is all theoretical to me.

• 1 month later...

Interesting discussion. I currently use a 4" 686 in SSR and a 4" 625 in ESR. I have a 4" 19 that I am considering using in a match or two, just to see if there's any advantage to the lighter gun. In dry fire, I can reload the 686 a whole lot faster than the 19, using the comp III loaders. One thing that I thought was perhaps the silver SS cylinder is easier to see than the dark blued cylinder and therefore easier to hit on the reload.

Gary J.

I feel it is a toss up on the L and K Frame. There is less metal between the holes on the K frame but the L frame gives you more room between the frame and grips. I have seen a 1.49 second reload from a L frame. Shooting through a port coming out of the port and reloading and then reshooting through the port. It suprized the R.O and the shooter repeated the feat to show it was not a fluke. It was done by a friend of mine during one of the Tuesday Night steel events in Rio Salado. Rhe mechanics of the reload are exactly the same. It just takes perfect practice. I am getting a little sloppy and have get into the regime again.

Gregg - Welcome to SSR!

I think you can answer the question yourself with a little research.

Why not look at the guns the top 2 or 3 competitors in SSR are using at the IDPA Nationals, various Regionals and WinterChampionships (matches with more than a dozen SSR competitors) since 2004 to are using? I think you'll see amazing consistency in frame size. Then consider how likely it is sheer luck brought so many successful individuals to the same point.

The gun a competitor might chose to shoot 125 PF with a 4" barrel length restriction might be different than that used to make a 165 PF with no barrel length restriction. I know if I had to shoot 165 PF and use speedloaders, I'd chose a 5" or 6" L-frame.

We hope to see you in SSR at the Indoor Nationals no matter which frame size you have. There were (27) ESR + (25) SSR Competitors there last year. That's a lot of cylinders turning.

Best Regards,

Craig

Edited by Bones

Why not look at the guns the top 2 or 3 competitors in SSR are using at the IDPA Nationals, various Regionals and WinterChampionships (matches with more than a dozen SSR competitors) since 2004 to are using? I think you'll see amazing consistency in frame size. Then consider how likely it is sheer luck brought so many successful individuals to the same point.

Well let me see, I need to check out the top 2 or 3 competitors. I wonder who they may be.. O' yes that would be you as one of them. :lol:

I am getting a few ready to run and see if I can manage to do anything with them. I kind of got spoiled on my 625 just throwing moons at it. I'm not sure that I can get used to the speedloader thing but I'll torture myself for a little while to see if I can get it together. The K frame sure fits my little hands better than the N frame of my 625.

Since I have never used speedloaders before, there isn't much chance of getting proficient by the S&W match. Not to mention the cost of another match that far away with air, hotel and rental car it really adds up.

I'll be the comic relief for the locals while I try things out. :D

Jerry ran out of ammo on one stage at the WCs a few years ago and only beat me by 6 seconds on a 20 second stage. He is amazing.

Even if you take me out, you'll see Curt, Jerry Biggs, Ron Bodle, Claude Werner, and Frank Palka are all shooting K-frames. In fact, Frank finshed 4th overall SSR with a 2" Model 19 and loading out of his pocket. I think the new SSR might shake things up a bit though - it is quite a gun.

Maybe we'll see you (and the other Jerrys) at the Badlands in April - that's a lot closer, right?

Remember - this whole semi-auto thing is just a fad....

Craig