Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alternative brass polish?...

Connor

Just curious as to what others are using for brass polish? I have never added polish to the crushed walnut I use in my tumbler, but may give it a try. I have read Nu Finish car polish in some of the other threads... How well does this work?

Any information or comments welcome.

:)

I use either Dillon (my current favourite), Midway (Frankford Arsenal) or Lyman. I have looked at the car polish route but am leery as some car polishes contain ammonia and or petroleum distilates to help dry and also to cut through residues. Both of these will harm your brass. Ammonia especially. I don't see any advantage over the small cost saving (2 bottles of Dillon per annum) to bother.

Nu Finish, mixed 2 to 1 with low odor mineral spirits. (Others will say one to one - both work).

Brass is cleaner.

Brass is brighter.

Media lasts a lot longer than it does with other ploishers.

Edited by Scout454

Another Nu Finish and lizard litter user here. I charge new media with the Nu Finish and then only use more when the brass takes longer to clean than normal. I use a squirt of Mineral spirits every time I polish.

Neal in AZ

+1 Nu Finish also. :) I tried it today on a batch of 45ACP brass for the first time and it came out great! Poured in a small portion of Nu Finish to new walnut brass, tumbled for nearly 3 hours, removed from tumbler BRIGHT with an added benefit... NO DUST RESIDUE! :cheers: Wish I'd have tried this sooner!

Thanks guys!

Connor

I was a big fan of Nu-Finish until I discovered how dirty my hand got handling brass and realized that car polish is designed to dry to a haze that is wiped off. Now I am back to Dillon/Midway brass polish and corn cob.

I have been using it for years. I went to Wal-Mart and in the housewears dept got a small 10 Oz squeeze bottle often used for sauces in cooking. Filled that about 3/4 full of Nu-Finish and the rest with Mineral Spirits. Shake it up before use to re-mix it and you are good to go. I add the stuff to my crushed corn cob (PetCo, 25 pound bag for $17 with tax) and let it tumble for about half an hour before I add the brass just to make sure it is evenly spread around the media.

Last week I finally empted out my bottle of Nu-Finish, time to get another bottle. lol I want to say I have been using it for about three years so yeah, a little goes a long way.

Joe W.

• 4 weeks later...

I've used NuFinish, Turtle Wax, Lyman polish, and Midway/Frankford Arsenal polish. NuFinish seems to work as well as any of them, and it's easier for me to get locally.

I use it with corn cob or walnut, whatever I can get cheaper.