Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blinking

leam

On my second read of Brian's book I stopped at the comment about blinking on page 94. The one that says if you blink there's not much you can do to improve until you solve that issue. I guess it's nice to know where your learning points are, I just wish they weren't so early in the game. Any suggestions on how to not blink? :surprise:

Leam

I'd have the following suggestions:

1. Lots of dry fire practice,

2. Firing a .22

3. Just firing the center-fire into the backstop while concentrating on keeping your eyes open. Don't try to focus on anything in particular.

I found that double-plugging, so I heard less of the 'bang', helped diminish the reflex blink and the flinch.

I still blink if I shoot factory ammo indoors and don't have enough light in the stall -- muzzle flash = blink. Switching to a 'softer' handload and turning on the stall lights helped. Shooting outdoors also helps -- less contrast between ambient light levels and the flash.

See Volume III (I think) of Burkett's video -- interview w/BE. He talks about a lot of things to think about as you're calling/releasing the shot. Put your focus there and that may help the blink as well.

There was a thread within the last week or so where Benos discussed blinking...I'm trying to find it. The short, short version was that if you think about your face while you're shooting (maybe just into the backstop) you'll feel it if you blink. If you just try to think about blinking it won't work well...probably because we are sort of programmed to blink without thinking about it or noticing it. If I can find the post I'll put the link here.

There was a thread within the last week or so where Benos discussed blinking...I'm trying to find it. The short, short version was that if you think about your face while you're shooting (maybe just into the backstop) you'll feel it if you blink. If you just try to think about blinking it won't work well...probably because we are sort of programmed to blink without thinking about it or noticing it. If I can find the post I'll put the link here.

Found it: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...inking&st=0

Part of the problem may be that I started shooting last year after having been out for a few decades. My first gun buy was a Sig SP2022, polymer frame .40 for IDPA. So no "starting with light loads and low recoil". I can do dry fire, do some lighter training loads, and use my wife's .22 to get going. I already double-ear protect.

Thanks!

Leam

1. Lots of dry fire practice,

2. Firing a .22

I found that double-plugging, so I heard less of the 'bang', helped diminish the reflex blink and the flinch.

I still blink if I shoot factory ammo indoors and don't have enough light in the stall -- muzzle flash = blink. Switching to a 'softer' handload and turning on the stall lights helped. Shooting outdoors also helps -- less contrast between ambient light levels and the flash.

+1 to the above! Even though I shoot my own reload 9mm, I double plug during practice...and have dryfired once or twice ;)

Both significantly help in the flinch. Once you understand on a subconscious level what to expect when your gun goes off, the blinking goes away. Now when I shoot someone's Open gun...le blink returns. Unfamiliar gun, unfamiliar recoil and report.

One more thing that helped me was watching matches w/ earplugs and trying not to blink, particularly on the first shot. I found out that I was blinking even while watching other shooters! :surprise:

the idea is to single plug while watching other shooters and to double plug while shooting

Set up a target at close range, say 7 to 10 yards. Practice shooting the smallest group you can. At this close in, you'll be able to see the target in good detail even with a crisp focus on your sights. Be observant. Watch the gun in motion. See the cardboard rip out of the target. Eventually it will come to you and you'll stop blinking. :)

I am going to try the close set eye cover. good idea.

that may solve my problem.

I still fight blink. dry firing has been the biggest help

I don't blink at the start of live ammo firing

I tend to later in my practice however.

I have been learning to blink later...

bang! and sites lift... then blink.... site and repeat.

I know I can not blink because during the first clip

there are a few times when I don't.

dry fire will let you see what you need to see.

miranda

Occasionally just walk down and fire a mag into the berm, not really aiming at any particular thing, just watch your sights. Go at a slow to moderate speed, no hurry. Make it a point to track the sight up and down. You may blink on a couple, but you will probably be able to track the sight by the end of the mag. Also, set up a target at 25 yards, and have a blank target beside you and some tape to mark it with. Fire two rounds at the far target, then mark with tape on the blank target where you think you hit. Then take the target you marked down to the target you shot at and compare the bullet strikes. It will help you call your shots, but the trick to calling shots is seeing the sights. It's very satisfying to see the two targets look almost, if not the same. Credit to Travis Tomasie for this drill, that's where I got it. Above all, take what Brian says and put it into this context. Don't be CONCERNED with not blinking. Be INTERESTED in seeing your sights. Just pretend you are observing someone else's sight picture, and trying to call where they hit.

put a 3" dot [black ,green,orange] on a plain painted wall,if you dont have that,use a picture frame,then practice keeping both eyes WIDE,WIDE open focused on the dot using your sights[blurred],for 5 sec's at a time about 10ft away...do this about 10 times then REST your eyes..repete about 10 times a night..after doing this 3 to 4 times a week,you will have your eyelids,eyebrows,side muscles trained to stay open during the shot...it will hurt the first 2 or 3 days..but keep it up for a month and the blinking will go away......

i would also start shooting some 22 cal bullseye matches also.........the training on focusing your sights shooting bullseye will help you focus better for other fast pace shooting sports........

Edited by GmanCdp

Did a little better at today's practice. Kept asking myself if I was blinking before the stage. My eyes replied that they were just practicing for low light conditions...

So I did some more at the range and just focussed on asking myself about blinking. I still must be because I aim for the middle and the shots got to the right by 3-5 inches. Since I'm a lefty I'm guessing I push the trigger rightward as I pull it back but I don't see the sight misalignment happen. Ergo, I'm not looking at the sight as the trigger is pulled. :(

At least I know what I need to work on.

Leam

Something else that might help you overcome this is to just fire some rounds into the backstop with your eyes closed. Just take your time and get into your stance/grip, and fire a shot. Pay attention to how your face feels. Try to relax your face muscles, as well as your other muscles, and just let the recoil happen. Be sure to sense your muscle tensions and try to relax as you fire the next shot. Repeat as necessary.

Asked me wife to check me at the range this evening; she said I'm not blinking. Or that I only blinked once when a spend case came flying near my head. Which is interesting in that I don't rmember it but was there enough to blink. I do seem to be flinching and that's what is sending my shots 5" to 5 o'clock (I'm a lefty) at 25 yards.

So I have to work on the flinch. The split recovery seems better, sights are returning to mostly where they belong. That came today after I changed grip and arm fixture. I'm starting to see more of the muzzle flash as I try to focus on the front sight.

Life is good...

Leam

Wow...four whole days on this forum and I've already learned something that I need to work on. My shooting plateaued (sp.?) a few years ago and nothing I did seemed to make me faster. I can shoot nice small groups at slow speed, but as soon as I try to speed up they open up. The problem is not so much that the groups open up but that I usually end up with one or two wild flyers, still on paper, but enough to ruin my score. I knew that I blinked, but I didn't realize how important it is to avoid blinking. Now I have something important to work on. THANKS!!

Wow...four whole days on this forum and I've already learned something that I need to work on. My shooting plateaued (sp.?) a few years ago and nothing I did seemed to make me faster.

THANKS!!

Partner, you'rve come to the right place! Not that I have any answers, but the folks here have a very high competance level. I'm pretty sure I've only gotten about 5% or less of what's available here and it's awesome!

Leam

I do seem to be flinching and that's what is sending my shots 5" to 5 o'clock (I'm a lefty) at 25 yards.

Leam

Gads, replying to myself...

The "flinch may not bea flinch, but an untrained trigger finger on a loose trigger. My 1911 trigger has a noticeable left-right and up-down play, as well as a good bit of travel back before the ~3.5# pull. If I leave the safety on while dry-firing I can see the front sight move slighly to the right as I squeeze.

So this one seems to be a combination of trigger finger and stock parts that need replacement. Is that a decently correct assumption? Any suggestions on a competition only trigger poundage for a relatively new shooter?

Leam

You need to isolate the trigger finger movement from your grip tension. With a 3.5# trigger, even with a loose fitting trigger, you should be able to press the trigger straight back without effecting the sight alignment. Keep working on that dry firing.

You need to isolate the trigger finger movement from your grip tension. With a 3.5# trigger, even with a loose fitting trigger, you should be able to press the trigger straight back without effecting the sight alignment. Keep working on that dry firing.

Last nights dry-fire session was enlightening. Worked on mostly finding the part of the trigger finger that would move the front sight the least. So far it seems to be either rotate my grip around so my shooting hand thumb is further forward and use the middle of the trigger finger, or leave the grip as is and use the outermost joint of the trigger finger.

Am currently using the factory grips with my long fingers. May go back to some thicker grips I was trying out before.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Leam

Leam, The advice that has been posted is great but try adding one thing to the other techniques. This may sound really stupid but give it a try anyway. When you get ready to fire, push your tongue up into the roof of your mouth as hard as you can and then shoot. By doing this you distract the mind. When you distract the mind you don't blink. Everyone I have worked with had stopped blinking within a magazine or two. After a short while, you no longer have to use the tongue because the mind has figured out the shock wave of the fired round won't hurt you. Like I said, sounds stupid but "stupid is as stupid does"

Dwight Stearns

Sounds like a good tip on the double plugging.

Brian's book also says "...if you see the muzzle flash you have seen the sights..."!

• 5 weeks later...

For the record I was putting lead into the berm today and doing so at a fast, for me, speed. Near the end of the session I started to see the front sigt move up and down a bit. So I do nothing but watch the front sight as I speed up the shooting a bit. There was a quick self-critical moment when I pointed out to myself that the sight was moving back but not into the same location. Then I remembered that I was actually watching the sight. :)

Hopefully this is a positive trend.

Leam