Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger job

xdrocker

I have a stock STI trigger that I can get an accurate .20 split time with. The smith that built my second top end for it made the comment that the trigger was "pretty heavy". How much advantage would the average person, B class for now, gain by putting a 2.5-3 lb trigger on it. I can't see improving splits that much, but would it make the longer tighter shots easier to call? If it would prove beneficial I would have it done. If not, I could get around 2000 bullets and practice for the same money. Opinions..............

Good trigger. How important?

Hard question. If I were to guess most people would say shoot more.

I say get the trigger job. It'll help a little on the time component. It'll help a lot on accuracy.

All that you read on this forum about seeing, shooting the sights, focus etc. etc. (IMO) that is all based on the gun going off when it's supposed to, when you see what you need to see. We're talking fractions of seconds here, but we're also talking angles and it doesn't take much to change that game. Hard to "break" the shot when you see what you need to with a rough trigger.

I'm not a 1 pound guy. I can shoot up to 2 pounds and be ok. Anything over 2 pounds and my accuracy does suffer.

That's my $.02 and I suspect I will not be the majority.

J

I have a 4# trigger on my Open gun.

Use whatever you can PREP RELIABLY and go with it. If you can prep a sub 2# trigger then great, go with it, if you can't prep it every single time on time you need more weight. To shoot accurately you need to prep the trigger and press the shots out, not a light trigger.

If you're considering lightening your trigger or just want to play with a lighter trigger, I would suggest dropping in an Infinity Tri-Glide Sear Spring (21.99 @ Brownells). I have a "Dawson Tuned Edge" that had about the same trigger pull as you currently have and the Infinty sear spring brought it down to 1.75lbs. I've shot it like this for about six months now and thinking about changing back. It's just a little too light for me.

DonT

Having a good trigger is important, but proper technique is paramount. Where we really lose time is in reloads, transitions, setting up in or leaving shooting positions, shooting on the move, etc. The .05 difference in splits plays a tiny role in improving one's hit factors.

The trigger job will help you see the sight lift on longer shots with disturbing the sight picture. Light triggers have drawbacks and they definately take getting used to. You will develop superb trigger finger control when not shooting or you will get sent home without a towel.

OK, seems like from the other posts that you want something light enough to call shots, but not too light that you can't prep it 100%. Sound like I will be experimenting with a few trigger jobs in the future.

If I am off base, let me know. BTW sorry to XD to kinda hijack the thread for myself. :)

Jason

If you think you'll be happier with a good trigger, by all means get one. A decent local 1911 smith should be able to do a nice 3 lb trigger for not a ton of cash. Below 2.5-3 lbs, the price and number of people competent to do it goes down.

I have a stock STI trigger that I can get an accurate .20 split time with. The smith that built my second top end for it made the comment that the trigger was "pretty heavy". How much advantage would the average person, B class for now, gain by putting a 2.5-3 lb trigger on it. I can't see improving splits that much, but would it make the longer tighter shots easier to call? If it would prove beneficial I would have it done. If not, I could get around 2000 bullets and practice for the same money. Opinions..............

Well, I say you know how well you shoot with the stock trigger....Now see how well you shoot with a GOOD trigger job.

I think you'll be happy with your decision.

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW go with a heavier trigger as long as you possibly can. Then when it seems like it is truly in your way you can get it lightened and it will give you such a good experience. It's like racing a motorcycle with DOT tires instead of slicks.... you have to hone your abilities in all areas FIRST, and then when you get the right time move your equipment up. It's the indian,,,,not the arrow.....

This reply is coming late so you may have already gotten a trigger job by now.

In case you haven't, my reply comes from a fellow B class Limited shooter with a bone stock STI Edge.

I had a problem with slapping the hell out of my stock slightly heavy trigger. This effected accuracy some, especially on long shots but also on shorter ones. Then I took a class with Manny Bragg. I hadn't been prepping the trigger right and Manny showed me how I should be doing it. I didn't think I could get to the point of prepping it right while shooting at speed. However, I think you can. And then it doesn't matter what weight trigger you have. Just as long as the trigger breaks at a consistent level.

I suggest taking a class with a good GM like Manny or one of the others. You won't spend much more money than a good trigger job and it will help all of your game not just trigger work.

Chris