Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new limited

mcattack

I did alot of reading on that question on here and based on many, many recommendations ended up going with a 12.5 IMSI spring on a full length guide rod. Mine of course came with a Heavy Recoil Master, I tried a Light Recoil Master I picked up cheap on here, and a 14# and a 12.5# and ended up liking the 12.5 the best.

It is probably worth asking a few people at your next match what they are running and can you shoot a few of your rounds through their gun to possibly save yourself some trouble. I've done it abunch trying to figure out the best load to go with and no one has ever turned my down!

My Edge also came with a Heavy Recoil Master, which I immediately got rid of and put a one-piece steel guide rod in with a 10# spring. Now if your gun is still stock you may not be able to run as light of a spring as 10#. I had my gunsmith go over the pistol with a fine-tooth comb and replace what he thought needed replaced. And of course I've polished allot of different parts on the gun that equate to more reliable feeding, and smoother slide action.

The lighter recoil springs do feel better but the heavier springs allow more reliable feeding. Pick up a couple of different weights and try them out for yourself (at practice of course).

Try 10-14 pound springs, let the timer and the points tell you which is best.

For me what feels the best is NOT what works the best, feel of the gun in shooting is not what you want to use to evaluate springs. Shoot several drills for time and points, that will tell you what works best for you.

My Edge also came with a Heavy Recoil Master, which I immediately got rid of and put a one-piece steel guide rod in with a 10# spring. Now if your gun is still stock you may not be able to run as light of a spring as 10#. I had my gunsmith go over the pistol with a fine-tooth comb and replace what he thought needed replaced. And of course I've polished allot of different parts on the gun that equate to more reliable feeding, and smoother slide action.

The lighter recoil springs do feel better but the heavier springs allow more reliable feeding. Pick up a couple of different weights and try them out for yourself (at practice of course).

Does the gun run reliable with the 10lb??? i have a 12.5 ismi 1 allready gave out within 8month and i just stuck a new 12.5lb in it. it wouldn't occasionally push the next round into the chamber. i also have had my gun worked up and polished up. gun ran perfect for 1st 7months after that started to have some ftf. I am thinking about lightening the slide up some possibly cut some of the dust cover off also cause when i shoot i just notices the gun dips. alot to me.... like they said above buy a few different springs and seee which one you like the best and is reliable.

I think when using lighter springs you need to change them more often. I put a new spring in right before the Nationals and it ran like a grandfather clock ;) Never had a problem, even shooting strong hand / weak hand only.

I think replacing the spring every 3 - 6 months is necessary when running the lightest spring possible.

Thanks for the replys. The gun is smooth it just seems to dive below zero really bad. I took the recoil master out and tried a 14# and different guide rod still seem to dive. I do not have any lighter springs I will have to make a run to the gun sto. Maybe there is just to much muzzle weight. Long dust cover and bull barrel.

Edited by mcattack

Hello: Use the 14lb spring for 2 months and it will be a 12lb spring. Use it another couple of months and it will be a 10lb spring. Then buy another 14 lb spring and see the difference between the 2. I started with a 12.5 ISMI spring it is now about 10lbs and feeds great. Thanks, Eric

Thanks for the replys. The gun is smooth it just seems to dive below zero really bad. I took the recoil master out and tried a 14# and different guide rod still seem to dive. I do not have any lighter springs I will have to make a run to the gun sto. Maybe there is just to much muzzle weight. Long dust cover and bull barrel.

I too have a full dust cover, bull barrel, and a full profile slide and my gun rens & feels great.

Something else to consider is what load are you using ? I felt like 180 grain bullets were too sluggish for me, so I started using 165's and I love it.

I was using 180 gr bullet with 4.7 320. I was thinking of tring lighter bullets I guess I am just going to have to buy a bunch of different components and put a lot of rounds down range to find what works for me. I have been shooting open class since I started competition 7 years ago. Never shot limited except to borrow a gun to classify or shoot a limited only match.

Well I have a Edge with sprinco recoil reducer and 10 lbs recoil spring... the gun worked always fine but in the last European Championship in 2 days (12 stages) i got 26 jam... after this the gun started again to works fine without i done nothing.... :angry2::wacko:

who knows what happened :surprise:

Well I have a Edge with sprinco recoil reducer and 10 lbs recoil spring... the gun worked always fine but in the last European Championship in 2 days (12 stages) i got 26 jam... after this the gun started again to works fine without i done nothing.... :angry2::wacko:

Josh,

i had absolutely the same problem with my Edge (10 lbs recoil spring, shock buff and stainless recoil rod). Everything was solved just by changing mentioned spring to 14 lbs and removing of shock buff...

Josh,

i had absolutely the same problem with my Edge (10 lbs recoil spring, shock buff and stainless recoil rod). Everything was solved just by changing mentioned spring to 14 lbs and removing of shock buff...

Demax

thanx for your suggest... but to go up from 10 lbs to 14 lbs i think that the gun feels too much different in my hands...

Maybe the recoil spring has some trouble...i dunno.... but maybe i will go on a 12,5lbs and try it.....

I think you're in the right range. I have run an ISMI 11lb recoil spring for quite some time. In fact, probably way too long and it likely needs to be changed, but the gun (long dustcover SV, tri-topped slide around 11.5 oz with sights) still runs. My load is 180 jacketed with N320 running around 171-172 PF.

I used a 12.5 ISMI previously, until someone suggested I try a 10. I really liked the feel of the 10. I tried an 11 and honestly couldn't tell a difference in feel or on paper/timer, so I figured it was a little extra insurance for reliability. I really wouldn't hesitate to run a 10 though, as I had no problems. I did just fine with the 12.5 too though.