Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I still dont understand why USPSA would even consider having the Nationals at any other range besides USSA. The facility and the staff are both outstanding and the range is minutes from town. I am going to try the A6 match after shooting with Beth and Cindy this year. It looks like it could be a fun match to make.

While I am looking forward to returning to USSA next week for the MG Nationals, I think the biggest issue around 'picking a permanent range' is the travel. USSA is great for the locals, not so great for those that have to travel across multiple time zones!! And of course the same thing holds for picking any other range for Nationals where ever they are. I'm still a fan of Nationals moving around, and I think that Missoula this year was a great example of an excellant facility... relatively close to town... beautiful area of the Country, etc. ;)

In any case, I will see you at Area 6 in 2008!

While it has not yet been announced formally, you can count on the NM Sectional being June 7-8, 2008. While it may not be the "sectional", it will be just as good as the last three years! Maybe even better.

Great match, been there 3 years in a row and will be back!

Thanks for the update.

I believe IPSC set the WS dates at the EHC, though I've not seen them. I know there was some discussion and desire to move them from various quarters.

Assuming the WS is still in Aug, that doesn't leave much time for the USPSA Nationals and Steel Challenge. It could be a busy summer..

Roy,

BJ has heard from some pretty reliable sources that Steel Challenge is considering not changing their dates in 2008 like they did for WSXIV. It could make for some tough decisions next year. "Do I go to SC and make $5,000 or go to WS and spend $5,000+?"

While I am looking forward to returning to USSA next week for the MG Nationals, I think the biggest issue around 'picking a permanent range' is the travel. ... And of course the same thing holds for picking any other range for Nationals where ever they are.

Yeah, time zone wise, its nice to have it move around, and it sucks for the most people if its in the Eastern time zone.

I'm still a fan of Nationals moving around, and I think that Missoula this year was a great example of an excellant facility... relatively close to town... beautiful area of the Country, etc. ;)

The only problem with Missoula, from the standpoint of travel, was that its relatively expensive to get in and out. Absolutely a beautiful place, and maybe 2nd on my list of "friendly to the shooters" (come on, you can beat driving into Quincy and seeing a big "Welcome Shooters!" banner stretched across the road ;) ). The time zone was friendly for most folks, and the weather was beautiful, too. I'd go back there again - but it would be nice to do something closer to me this year (which sounds like it might happen... Tulsa's just a 7-ish hour drive or something like that....)

In any case, I will see you at Area 6 in 2008!

And South River is a super duper range, too.... Too bad they're not yet big enough to do a Nationals (I think that might kill Cindy and Bill, too... ;) I'm looking forward to that match, too....

BJ has heard from some pretty reliable sources that Steel Challenge is considering not changing their dates in 2008 like they did for WSXIV. It could make for some tough decisions next year. "Do I go to SC and make $5,000 or go to WS and spend $5,000+?"

I can't say that I'd really blame them for a decision like that... That will make things entertaining, though, and would definitely narrow the field at both matches amongst the big dogs.

but it would be nice to do something closer to me this year

Therein lies one of the more interesting challenges... *every* shooter wants it "closer to me"... which is kinda hard to accomplish for everyone.

B

I actually really don't care where it is....with enough notice the increase in cost for longer distance wouldn't be a big deal. I enjoy the aspect of traveling all over the place to shoot. It's one of the reasons I do this. The main thing is just to know ahead of time.

I actually really don't care where it is....with enough notice the increase in cost for longer distance wouldn't be a big deal. I enjoy the aspect of traveling all over the place to shoot. It's one of the reasons I do this. The main thing is just to know ahead of time.

+1

+1

+2

The travel is great, and with advanced notice, it would be even better. Still boggles the mind why we can't set the dates years in advance (BTW...with the venue established too). As for location of the Nationals, while a lot of places CAN hold the match, to me it comes down whether or not a place SHOULD host the match. Certain venues are just better all around (i.e. range, staff, accomodations, access, etc.). Vegas has always been great and Tulsa is a great city and easy to fly in to. My rule is that if Southwest air flys there, it's a good location for a match. ;)

That said, I'm all for moving Nationals to different locations, but my biggest gripe is that with the last minute date setting/location establishment it's almost like USPSA doesn't want to commit to a great match. Rather, it's just something that we do rather than something that we want to do. Plan early. Have multiple venues if need be for more stages. Have 1 Nationals to thin the herd and have about 15-18 stages. Just my suggestion on that.

As for matches, it's gonna be a tough one to swallow but Nat's in June/July in Tulsa is gonna be more than a little warm. Probably pass on that (and since I'll be gettin' out about then and priority 1 will be moving back to CA).

Still gonna try my best to go where the shooting is.

Rich

I believe IPSC set the WS dates at the EHC, though I've not seen them. I know there was some discussion and desire to move them from various quarters.

Assuming the WS is still in Aug, that doesn't leave much time for the USPSA Nationals and Steel Challenge. It could be a busy summer..

Roy,

I remember something of the sort last time around, but I think sanity prevailed then. My priorities are WS then SC, but then I don't usually win $5K at the SC either..

I wouldn't use the dates off the preliminary WS web site until they're posted as final. There was a lot of discussion at the EHC about wanting to move them, and I'm pretty sure what's on the site hasn't changed.

All,

We've had this discussion before, and..... the biggest issue is 'usually' how many local clubs have both the facility, AND the people (and community support) that are willing to give time to helping put on a Nationals. I do not have any inside knowledge, but it seems that this is a very small group, and since I (for one) am now looking at dates a couple years in advance, I would LOVE to have our Nats nailed down whether they move around or not.....

BDH

I couldn't have said it better myself. Shooting is not only fun & the people great, it also gives me a chance to get away. Like little vacations. One weekend here, one weekend there. All I ask is give me enough time to put in for the time off and time to get money set aside for expenses. Everything after that is a party! :cheers: