Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In the white?

CMV

Ok, I'm sure I will get admonished about where else I could have found this but such is life. I searched to no avial. I am having a blaster built and am then going to break it in well before sending it to be Ionbonded. Any bluing must be removed prior to it being coated by Ionbond. Anyone with experience shooting a gun "in the white" Should I get the gun blued and then have it removed or just keep it well oiled?

In the white is fine - just wipe it down after each session with an oiled rag. As I understand it, removing bluing isn't all that tough, in the end.... But, if you're not going to shoot it for an extended period of time in the white, its just an expense that doesn't get you much (you'll have to pay to have it blued, and to have the bluing removed)....

I have an ancient single stack Open gun that got a new slide shortly before single stacks stopped being competitive....10+ years later and it's still in the safe and still in the white with no rust. Wipe it off after you shoot it and you'll be fine...add a little oil if you're in an area with more humidity or have had issues with your hand oils/acids rusting blued guns.

It has alot to do with your skin and the area.

I have one that is six years old in the wight-STI and a new gun six months old in the wight. Its been rainy in San Antonio this year too. I don't sweat much and my sweat is not a high acid contint.

I have a good friend that can Rust Stainless steel. No lie a low grad of SS but he can make it rust, just by handeling it.

And if your gun rust = the rust will have to be removed just like the blue.

If you keep it in the wight take it out of the bag when you get it home and put it in a dry ventulated area. Never leave it baged

Ok, I'm sure I will get admonished about where else I could have found this but such is life. I searched to no avial. I am having a blaster built and am then going to break it in well before sending it to be Ionbonded. Any bluing must be removed prior to it being coated by Ionbond. Anyone with experience shooting a gun "in the white" Should I get the gun blued and then have it removed or just keep it well oiled?

Browning Hi Power barrels are steel in the white. I just use common sense care for mine.

I can make stainless rust, though it's not an immediate thing, I also corrode aluminum. However My Open gun built in '98 has never had anything on it, no blue, no hard chrome, nothing...just windup the dremel with a wire wheel if anything appears...otherwise I keep it well oiled