Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where Do You Get Your Brass?

kaiserb

I get my new brass from various online sources. I get 100% processed, ready to load 1x brass from Scharch Mfg.

The new stuff is carefully processed, and re-used for the life of the brass. The 1x is loaded as is, and discarded at matches, or after a couple of practice firings.

Regards.

I also buy once fired brass from online sources. I process them myself because I pretty much like to inspect every case. It's hard being cheap and picky at the same time. :P

• 2 months later...
Guest Dick W Holliday

help the folks at the indoor range sweep up and take out garbage......i've got more brass than i'll ever wear out or lose.......D I C K

I am searching for source of once fired 10mm brass. I am not picky about headstamps, rolling or polishing and am just looking for a reliable source.

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Leo

Not quite enough choices in the poll-o-meter...

But here are the options I currently have:

1. Off the range floor when no one's looking who might have the authoritiy to bust me for doing so....

2. Online

3. Other shooters who offer theirs

4. Gun shows

5. Occasion bits from a local RM at an outdoor location (as opposed to the usual indoor location)

...and I'm still exploring my local foot-in-the-door status at the county LE Dept..... B)

A bunch of us ordered ~21K of once fired 40 cases from brassmanbrass.com recently. Most of us were pretty happy with the mixed Speer, PMC and Federal received, which came to less than a penny/case, including shipping, though one of us had some problems with bulged cases that jammed in his 650, and loaded rounds that wouldn't gauge. I ordered 6K RP 40 at under 2 cents/case, including shipping, getting all nickel at no extra charge because that was all that was available, and 3K 9mm at under 1 cent/case, including shipping. My order broke down as follows:

5980 40 cases received: 750 cases glocked, 150 non-RP, 20 damaged cases, 50 sized cases w/o primer, 11 sized cases with live primers seated. The glocked cases were loaded, and 50 would not gauge only because they had small nicks in the extractor rim, but chambered in my match barrel w/o any problem. Two cases were too bulged to gauge or chamber in the barrel (Dillon dies used).

3050 9mm cases received: 1K nickel Speer, 2K regular PMC.

You can't beat the price, and the brass works fine for me, though the small number of deprimed and reprimed cases mixed into the order make me question the all once fired from commercial/police ranges claim. This might have been unusual - turnover on the 40 is very high, per the owner, and he buys from mutliple sources. Inspection of the rest of the brass didn't show evidence of multiple firings though.

(And yes, my friends do think that I am more than a little anal when it comes to my ammo/components) :D .

• 4 weeks later...

What processing would need to be done to new Starline for 45ACP in a 1911. Could you load it as it comes or should it be trimmed, etc. I would like to be able to just run it through the reloader right out of the package.

Thanks for any tips.

Buckeye

You should never need to trim .45 ACP brass.

Look it over, mike a few samples, and just load it.

Never assume that you got what you ordered. Always read the labels carefully, and weigh a few bullets when opening a new box.

New brass will often stick in the flare/powder drop die. You can rub some wax around the inside mouth of every 10th round, or give them a quick tumble in used cleaning media.

Brassmanbrass.com for the last year. I have gotten away from picking up brass at the range for my .40 but still get .45's that way. At the price that the Brassman charges it almost does not pay to even pick up the .40's any more. I need to find cheaper bullets because that is my big expense in reloading at this point.

Jim