Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

115 g. vs 124 .g

Big Guy

Totally depends on you and your gun. My Viper has 4 hybrid ports, a 3-port comp and 2 "viper" ports and was designed to shoot around a 124gr. bullet at 175-180 PF. When the power factor was lowered, I dropped the charge weight and while the gun shot soft, it was sluggish and there was a little more muzzle rise.

On a hunch, I switched to 115's. The logic being that with a lighter bullet, to get to my 168-170 PF number (new PF load) that I would have to increase the powder charge for the lighter bullet thus increasing gas volume. This was worked really well. The gun shoots flat again (not as well, but much better) and with re-springing a smidge is back to being nice and fast.

That said, when I get back, I'll be playing with the 115's loaded at about 170-172 PF (since I have a lot of them), 121 IFP's from MGB loaded similarly since they are SUPER accurate and lastly play with 124's again at my old load (!75-180) and just see which I like better. I'll take more blast if the gun is the way I like it.

Rich

Honestly I can hardly tell the difference between 115's and 125s loaded to the same pf. So I shoot the 125's, save a little on powder and a little wear and tear on the gun.

Will there be any diference in shooting a much heavier bullet (say 147 g) with the same PF?

Saving 8 to 10 grains per bullet sounds like a good deal.

Honestly I can hardly tell the difference between 115's and 125s loaded to the same pf. So I shoot the 125's, save a little on powder and a little wear and tear on the gun.

Will there be any diference in shooting a much heavier bullet (say 147 g) with the same PF?

Saving 8 to 10 grains per bullet sounds like a good deal.

More powder will work the comp more efficiently. I tested almost everything when I had my open gun built. I prefered the 115's. In testing quick pairs the shots stayed closer together. 124's shoot a little softer, but night quite as tight. I'd forget about saving powder and find something that feels good and shoots well in your gun. The 115's are a little more harsh, both on the gun, the shooter, and the RO's.

Good luck

124's are a little softer feeling, but tend to get a bit more dot rise

115's harsher hitting in the hand, less dot rise.

The heavier you go the softer you get but because of less gas you work the comp less and therfore get more muzzle rise.

I have been shooting 115's that can be a pita to make major in some short setups etc. I am going to try the 121's and see if it a good mix.

Are you guys shooting 9 open or 38 super?

I am currently running a Dawson in .38 super and for the last year I shot 124's. Last weekend I tried some 115's and saw less of the dot rise. Felt nice, however, the 115 loads chronoed at 163 PF.

Should I expect the about the dot rise when I get them to around 167-168 PF (more powder = more gas)?

The 120gr. rule is why I'm going to work up loads with the 121gr. IFP's.

As for the low chrono'ing 115gr. load Big Guy, run more powder. As for dot rise, harshness of recoil, etc. it's completely a personal preference and how the gun is setup (i.e. I dropped my springs from a 10 to an 8 when I switched to 115's).

Rich

Rich,

with your 115 loads, can you see any signs of excessive frame battering? i'm using 115 grainers with a lightened slide and compared to how my gun was before (no slide lightening) the gun feels even more violent. i was using a 8 lbs spring with a shock buff but went up to 11 to prevent the possible frame battering. i'm thinking i made a big mistake..... :o:(

I go back and forth between an 8 and 9# spring. I use a stainless Sprinco recoil reducer too as it just feels better than a straight guide rod. That said, I've had zero excessive wear and frame battering. However, if I do pump up the loads to 170-175 PF range, I'll more likely than not be needing to respring the gun up to probably a 10#.

Rich

I preferred 115 MG, but I didn't know that my pf was only about 160. Now that I have it up to 172 the gun is acting a lot different than before. I noticed after a 200 rounds today I felt a little raw in the web of my hand I hadn't noticed in some time. I need to shoot both again at the higher power factor, but what I would say to use is load up a 100 or so both at the same pf and shoot them side by side. To really compare them you need to shoot them at the same time. When I did it for before (no chrono) I would load one every other shot in the mag and watch the dot with each and also how fast it came back... felt recoil... etc

I preferred 115 MG, but I didn't know that my pf was only about 160. Now that I have it up to 172 the gun is acting a lot different than before.

I can see how the gun would behave different between shooting a 160 and 172 PF. However, going from 163 to 167, should not be that different. I hope. :unsure::unsure:

I like 115 gr and usually use a 7 or 8 lb recoil spring. Including the 100's of thousands of rds I put through guns at 1550 fps, at the old PF. If the gun is built correctly a recoil spring is not really a factor in life. Heck if its built incorrectly I don't think its a factor but I am not really into testing that theory.

10 PF does make a big difference in "feel" especially 160 pf and up.

• 2 weeks later...
I like 115 gr and usually use a 7 or 8 lb recoil spring. Including the 100's of thousands of rds I put through guns at 1550 fps, at the old PF. If the gun is built correctly a recoil spring is not really a factor in life. Heck if its built incorrectly I don't think its a factor but I am not really into testing that theory.

Amen brother... I almost have to learn how to shoot the gun all over. The firmness of my grip and timing were way off for the new load.

For me, it's mainly personal preference, 115gr has some characteristics that i like and dislike,

and 124 gr, vice versa.

I shoot outside of US and had been using 124 gr for a few years now. I need to try 121gr MGB

and see it will fit my liking.

Best way to find out is to try 115gr vs. 124gr yourself and make a pro/con list to help you decide.

Cheers

I think the recoil spring does in fact make a good bit of difference. I also run only 115s and punch them at 1550 fps using hogden HS-6. (Medium burn rate) I actually found when bumping up to the 12 lb spring it ballanced out the dot rise and slide cycle force nicely.

An old timer explained to me that the recoil spring should be the final touch on a well crafted load and I think he was right.

I think the recoil spring does in fact make a good bit of difference. I also run only 115s and punch them at 1550 fps using hogden HS-6. (Medium burn rate) I actually found when bumping up to the 12 lb spring it ballanced out the dot rise and slide cycle force nicely.

An old timer explained to me that the recoil spring should be the final touch on a well crafted load and I think he was right.

That's one thing I haven't tuned since I bumped the pf. I think I'm going to leave it where it is until after area 3.

That's one thing I haven't tuned since I bumped the pf. I think I'm going to leave it where it is until after area 3.

What day are you shooting in area 3? I'm shooting Saturday but I'll probably be there Friday thru Sunday in some form. I like meeting the Enos chatters at matches.