Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production grip tape on slide

SDM

I've read the rule book and can't find where the "no tape on the slide" rule only applies forward of the ejection port. But....I have read a few responses in threads here that seem to imply this. So can I put a couple of pieces on the rear of the slide? I don't really care either way, but it does make it a little easier to rack the slide.

I thought it was OK for USPSA, but a no-no in IPSC. Grip tape on the slide is OK, right up until the slide gets hot in practice. Then it starts to move around. I like to shoot a lot of steel, so you may not have the same problem.

E

Eric,

one of my pals was relocated to open for a small piece of grip tape on the slide, at last year's nationals.....

And that's a bummer of a place for a production pistola. :ph34r:

Especially since with only three stages to go, there wasn't even any incentive to procure some 170s.....

I must be thick, but I can't begin to understand what the big deal is about grip tape on the slide. The stuff can be purchased cheap most anywhere, so it's hardly something to contribute to an equipment race. Seems more like a safety item than anything else.

Sorry Nik, mis-remembered the rules. FWIW unless your pistol (whatever division) has a recessed area without serrations that's basically designed to hold skid tape, skid tape on the slide is just more hassle than it's worth. Maybe someday I'll invent some super-duper adhesive, but all my experiments with tape on the slide have been involuntarily temporary endeavors. I like it there, but it doesn't stay there over the long haul.

Sorry Nik, mis-remembered the rules. FWIW unless your pistol (whatever division) has a recessed area without serrations that's basically designed to hold skid tape, skid tape on the slide is just more hassle than it's worth. Maybe someday I'll invent some super-duper adhesive, but all my experiments with tape on the slide have been involuntarily temporary endeavors. I like it there, but it doesn't stay there over the long haul.

I think Henning has some on his....

I must be thick, but I can't begin to understand what the big deal is about grip tape on the slide. The stuff can be purchased cheap most anywhere, so it's hardly something to contribute to an equipment race. Seems more like a safety item than anything else.

I think the argument is that it could be an advantage on malfunction clearances and charging the gun after reloads. :blink:

I think the argument is that it could be an advantage on malfunction clearances and charging the gun after reloads. :blink:

It's not an advantage if it slips around on a warm gun --- been there, done that.

It's not an advantage --- at least not a meaningful one --- if it's available to everyone else shooting in the division......

Go take a look at the 2008 rules in the most recent BoD online meeting minutes. One of the appendicies shows a picture of where grip tape is legal and where it is not.

That is likely to carry forward as the rules as published in the minutes are close to final. No sense getting all carried away with grip tape everywhere only to have to remove it 01 January 2008.

I've never had tape slip on a slide in normal use, which is where it would matter. Of course I've never had it slip in practice, but I practice with another person and probably never fire more than 60 rounds before waiting on them. My main slide tape is what I get from ACE hardware stores (earlier I had said True Value), where they usually sell it off of a roll. I prep the slide just like I would for grip tape and never get oil near it. I think it sticks better than TruGrip for this application, although I greatly prefer TruGrip for my grips because it's thinner and has the perfect "feel".

Even the small pieces I put on the very rear of my wife's Glock have stayed in place.

I still must be thick, as I haven't heard anything yet that makes sense about why it isn't allowed. I can't see it being used on anything but the very rear of the slide in Production, at least not if you want to actually draw the gun. Grip tape past the ejection port isn't a good thing with Production holsters.

Couldn't you say that about anything "external" on a Production gun ?

(I'm not saying I agree with it...I just don't like your arguement. :):P:D )

Well, I promise I'm not looking to rock the boat in Production, because I think it works pretty well as is, and because it's growing pretty phenomenally in Area 8 --- but what is it that makes Production different?

1. Is it the lack of allowed modifications?

2. The prohibition on raceholsters?

3. Or the DA/Safe Action/XD/LDA whatever longer trigger pull for the first shot?

4. The lack of a magwell?

5. The ten round limitation?

6. The fact that everything scores minor?

7. The stipulation that holster and pouches must be worn in a certain place?

I think 3-7 have a much larger effect on the division than 1 & 2.

But that's my personal two cents.....

Well, we had a guy in our squad in Nationals who is now shooting in Limited because of tape on the underside of the trigger...

Well...agree with the call or not, sounds like he got lucky...if you could call it that:

6.2.5.1 However, if a competitor fails to satisfy the equipment or

other requirements of a declared Division during a course

of fire, the competitor will be placed in Open Division, if

available, otherwise the competitor will shoot the match for

no score.

Well, we had a guy in our squad in Nationals who is now shooting in Limited because of tape on the underside of the trigger...

Well...agree with the call or not, sounds like he got lucky...if you could call it that:

6.2.5.1 However, if a competitor fails to satisfy the equipment or

other requirements of a declared Division during a course

of fire, the competitor will be placed in Open Division, if

available, otherwise the competitor will shoot the match for

no score.

This just doesn't sound right; ignoring a rule this clear at the NATIONALS??? :surprise: I guess we don't have to sweat the Level I stuff anymore :angry2: . I really hope we are just not hearing the real story...

Edited by ChuckS

It was pretty simple, the Chrono RO saw it and made the call. I know the shooter doesn't consider himself lucky. I'm not sure if they will change it to shooting for no score (since Open is not recognized) or leave him in Limited, but that was that was made as I heard it with my ears from the shooter involved immediately after it happened.

Edited by Loves2Shoot