Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Reload - Production Style

Jake Di Vita

Thanks for the comments guys.

Micah,

I don't know if you know this, but Production is where I started. I'm thinking about going back to my roots after the Michigan match until around February and then making a run at the Single Stack title.

Writing this book is really putting all the information I know in a new light.

• 2 weeks later...

Great work!

(If you are going to the Glock...)

Don't burn that in too much if you are going to switch up. You'll want to change your technique a bit with the Glock.

Those steel guns a great at spitting out mags and sucking in fresh ones. With the plastic fantastic:

- The mags will hang if you get very much (any) angle to them as they exit. Until that mag clears, you have to keep that exit angle almost perfectly straight up and down (which means slightly muzzle up, because of the grip angle of the gun...as well as no side-to-side angle).

- Seating the fresh mag usually requires a bit more effort. The Glock mags don't slide quite as easily as other guns (steel mags), and the mag catch is relatively heavy too.

As fast and efficient as your left hand is, getting the spent mag out of the gun will be vital.

BTW, how are you liking that left arm? Looks a bit more straight and a lot more elbow out than usual? I've played with that some and especially like it for returning the gun at long distant targets.

I'm glad you noticed that.

I started almost rolling my shoulders and elbows up and it makes the gun track a lot better while naturally keeping my index aligned. Without exaggeration I would consider it about a 10 - 15% increase in recoil control.

I wish I still had an Open gun. I think this technique with that platform would be a shocking difference.

Great work!

(If you are going to the Glock...)

As fast and efficient as your left hand is, getting the spent mag out of the gun will be vital.

do you rip the mag out w/ your finger or do you just angle it properly?and btw thanks for the observations on the glock mag change

Edited by rookieglocker

rg,

I let the mag fall on it's own. If you have the Glock where the mag is straight up and down, then there shouldn't be an issue.

I like to term it as a race between the left hand and the right hand. The right hand has to get on the mag button as soon as possible after calling the shot. That there is a task, as even with the extended (factory) mag button, I usually have to shift the grip to get on the button quickly. And, the button isn't light to push either (not a big deal, but a detail). Then the right hand has to make sure the gun allows the mag to fall straight out. Then...it can be turned to receive the incoming mag.

The left hand just races to the mag pouch and brings the fresh mag up in perfect alignment. If the right hand didn't do his job, then the fresh mag can push the spent mag back in before the spent mag has a chance to clear. Not fun.

rg,

I let the mag fall on it's own. If you have the Glock where the mag is straight up and down, then there shouldn't be an issue.

I like to term it as a race between the left hand and the right hand. The right hand has to get on the mag button as soon as possible after calling the shot. That there is a task, as even with the extended (factory) mag button, I usually have to shift the grip to get on the button quickly. And, the button isn't light to push either (not a big deal, but a detail). Then the right hand has to make sure the gun allows the mag to fall straight out. Then...it can be turned to receive the incoming mag.

The left hand just races to the mag pouch and brings the fresh mag up in perfect alignment. If the right hand didn't do his job, then the fresh mag can push the spent mag back in before the spent mag has a chance to clear. Not fun.

thanks again!