Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for new Powder suggestions

glock10mmman

I have been thinking of changing from Power Pistol for 40 major to something else. Not really any reason why other than I want to play around with some others. Im thought about using some AA 9 or 7 and some V-350 or 340. Prices are a bit more but I dont really know much about those powders.

What are your experiences?

g10

I really enjoy v.v.3n37 for my .40 loads. It is clean, meters well, & just all around works for me. ED is very minimal if I use brand matched brass & decent bullets. Of course, I call decent bullets anyting I can afford! hahaha. Lately I've been loading 185 precisions & 180 bulletworks bullets. They are both very consistent bullets & the precisions have very little smoke. For the precisions, I load 5.7gr & make major easily. I've never had chrono troubles. YMMV, of course. Good luck! MLM

I really enjoy v.v.3n37 for my .40 loads. It is clean, meters well, & just all around works for me. ED is very minimal if I use brand matched brass & decent bullets. Of course, I call decent bullets anyting I can afford! hahaha. Lately I've been loading 185 precisions & 180 bulletworks bullets. They are both very consistent bullets & the precisions have very little smoke. For the precisions, I load 5.7gr & make major easily. I've never had chrono troubles. YMMV, of course. Good luck! MLM

I didnt see the 3n37 load until you said something. Local shop has them all for 22 a pound, 74 for 4 pound jug which brings it down to 18 a pound.

g10

Try VV N-320 with a 180 gr Zero bullet loaded to 1.170. Start about 4.7 gr and work up from there. My load in an SV Sight Tracker with a Scheuman AET barrel(5") is 5.0 gr N-320, Win SRP, 180 gr Zero JHP loaded to 1.170 OAL, 170 PF. It is a very accurate load, low recoil and clean.

A friend shoots 340 and it sure feels nice.

I will be trying E3 next, the data some of the guys have been posting here has me really really interested. I am using Clays now and like it just fine, but E3 looks almost too good to be true!!

N320 was my old stand-by, BUT:

Currently using & really enjoying Accurate Arms Solo 1000. There are published safe book loads for .40 Major and Solo 1000 is a fast-burning, single base powder.

Have not tried it yet, but the newre cleaner reddot called "E3" also looks like a winner.

Try VV N-320 with a 180 gr Zero bullet loaded to 1.170. Start about 4.7 gr and work up from there. My load in an SV Sight Tracker with a Scheuman AET barrel(5") is 5.0 gr N-320, Win SRP, 180 gr Zero JHP loaded to 1.170 OAL, 170 PF. It is a very accurate load, low recoil and clean.

Im shooting a Glock 35 with a storm lake barrel. Wont 1.17 be too long?

g10

I use Ramshot Competition. In my Glock 35 (Barsto bbl) I run 4.0 grains, 180gr Masterblasters bullet, 1.135 OAL. I just barely made major at '06 Area 1 and the bullet they pulled was heavier than most. 4.1 grains of powder may be better if your heading to a major match.

Edited by splashdown

I use Ramshot Competition. In my Glock 35 (Barsto bbl) I run 4.0 grains, 180gr Masterblasters bullet, 1.135 OAL. I just barely made major at '06 Area 1 and the bullet they pulled was heavier than most. 4.1 grains of powder may be better if your heading to a major match.

How does RC compare to others? Dont really have any experiences with it?

g10

Titegroup. Ok, it gets 1/2" of the outside of your gun dirty, but I think it's really clean internally, where it really matters.

It's cheap, meters well, "feels" good, is accurate and has the approval of Flex ;)

Titegroup. Ok, it gets 1/2" of the outside of your gun dirty, but I think it's really clean internally, where it really matters.

It's cheap, meters well, "feels" good, is accurate and has the approval of Flex ;)

+1 for titegroup, economical and very consistent

Im shooting a Glock 35 with a storm lake barrel. Wont 1.17 be too long?

g10

Most likely yes - depending on the bullet. BTW, the barrel will not be the limiting factor in a Glock. The magazine limits OAL. Too long and the bullet nose will drag on the front of the magazine and cause malfs.

To test, load SEVERAL rounds (about 5) in your mag. Use you thumb to push down ONLY THE BULLET END OF THE CARTRIDGE. Do this several times. Are the bullets hanging up?

BTW, the Winchester White box 9mm was running 1.16+ last time I bought some (years ago). A safe OAL would likely be 1.155" to 1.160" Why load any shorter? It will only increase pressure.

My current load for Major in 40 S & W is as follows:

Svi with Svi barrel

4.9 g of V320

Montana Gold 180 RNFP

1.185 oal

169 power factor (at recent area 5 chrono)

Nice load

Thanks

Im starting at 4.0 grains to work up. I know it will probably not make major, but I want to work it up and see how the pressure and velocity increase.

Never used an extruded powder before. I have heard some bad things about it from rifle guys saying they can hear it being grinded in the powder measure?

g10

+2 for Titegroup

It's the only powder I've ever used... You mean the other powders don't turn the outside of your gun black and get all over your pants while holstered? :huh:

Another +1 for Titegroup. Economical, consistent, not very temperature sensitive, soft shooting... 4.4gr w/ 180gr Rainiers at 1.135 make 172PF in my USP Expert. It is a little sooty, but not smoky at all when fired. The soot wipes right off, I really don't find it to be a concern at all and IMO the issue is overstated.