Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD9 light primer strikes

kmca

I just got an XD-9 that I am planning on using in Production class.

It has a couple hundred rounds through. I put a Springer Precision trigger kit in and a Don's guide rod. I haven't touched the slide yet. Now I'm getting light strikes on CCI primers.

It fires Federal and Winchester primers just fine. Any ideas how to fix it? Is there an "extra power" striker spring available? Is there an extended length firing pin?

Or do I just have to never use CCI primer in this gun?

Thanks,

Keith

LPatterson,

Thanks. I was just thinking, if I'm getting light strikes with some primers and not others, it must be "close" to not working with the others. Besides, I've got a few thousand rounds loaded with CCI's :rolleyes:

Did you check to make sure it is clearing the Striker Safety Block when you did your installation? If it is not clearing it it will slow the striker enough to cause problems. If you need help give me a call. ~ Scott

I don't see any wear marks at all on the firing pin safety except at the very rear where it slides under the "thingy".

Thanks,

Keith

Or do I just have to never use CCI primer in this gun?

I think you answered your own question. Striker fired guns, in my opinion, are right above revos in being finicky with primers. Stick to Winchesters, leave the feds for the revo guys and be 10-4.

CCI are by far the LEAST reliable primers. CCI even makes and extra-unreliable primer just for the M-14 and AR-15 military rifles; those primers require a really heavy, gawd awful trigger to ignite. But, on the upside - they will NEVER slam-fire.

Most reliable are Federal, followed closely by PMC/Wolf brand. I see no reason not to just stick with a reliable brand of primer. Problem solved.

CCI are by far the LEAST reliable primers... I see no reason not to just stick with a reliable brand of primer. Problem solved.

Sorry, but this is just not true. If you seat them hard (crush em good) they will go BANG. I run only CCI in lightened Glocks and S&W revolvers and NEVER have them not go bang.

I use an RCBS Hand Primer and always bottom it out when seating primers and they ALWAYS go bang!!

I get multiple misfires in every 100 or so Winchesters. Other people have no problem with them. The answer... I'm probably breaking the Winchester primers by seating them too hard. The CCIs love it! NEVER misfire when seated really hard.

Just my observations from close to a decade of using CCIs and briefly trying Winchesters.

CCI are by far the LEAST reliable primers... I see no reason not to just stick with a reliable brand of primer. Problem solved.

I use an RCBS Hand Primer and always bottom it out when seating primers and they ALWAYS go bang!!

I get multiple misfires in every 100 or so Winchesters. Other people have no problem with them. The answer... I'm probably breaking the Winchester primers by seating them too hard. The CCIs love it! NEVER misfire when seated really hard.

Just my observations from close to a decade of using CCIs and briefly trying Winchesters.

Ahh....crush them with a hand primer?......ok?

I have used CCI's and Winchesters I my XD with no problems. Trigger was done by Canyon Creek and it's light n sweet. I can't comment on Glocks but the XD will drop the striker when not fully closed. I have a friend new to reloading who put some rounds together a bit long, he was getting 1 misfire (light strike) out of 30 or so. Ran the ammo back under the seating die with an adjustment and it was healed. Not sure what would cause your problem. Your sure the striker isn't dragging? And one more question. How clean is it? Mine starts to run a little slower around the 1100 round mark. I hit it with which ever spray cleaner landed in my range bag and it starts cranking again. Here is a link to a great site for a complete tear down of the XD. My other suggestion would be a post your question on XD Talk. There are some really great folks over there with far more knowledge than I on the XD.

http://www.xd-hs2000.com/disassembly/disassembly.html

Edited by VeryBadshot

Ahh....crush them with a hand primer?......ok?

http://www.xd-hs2000.com/disassembly/disassembly.html

Ahh, too bad you missed the point of my post.

I've got a .45 XD with the trigger tuned to about 3lbs. I was also getting light primer strikes (using CCI primers). Turend out the OAL was a bit too long. After I shortened the OAL it shot 100%. I'm a reloading noob so I'm just learning the in's and outs of reloading. As far as primers go, I've only used CCI so far and have gone through about 3000 of them without a single failure to ignite other than the ones with the XD as explained above.

• 4 months later...

To the original poster,

Try the pencil test and see how high it goes. Verify the gun is unloaded. Rack the slide. Drop an unsharpened pencil down your barrel, eraser end first. Point the barrel straight up and pull the trigger. My stock XD9 would shoot the pencil about 2 feet out of the barrel. The same gun would push a pencil about 1 foot out of the barrel after changing all the springs to the Canyon Creek lightened spring set. I have some SP trigger parts on order. Should be here very soon.

As a matter of reference, my Glock barely gets a pencil out of the bore yet functions fine. My 1911 will push a pencil into the ceiling.

Keep a pencil in your gunsmithing toolbox for future testing. The test tells so much with so little effort.

Good luck with your troubleshooting.

Dave

Edited by Taildraggerdave

Dave,

I have done the pencil test and it clears the muzzle by about 10 inches...most of the time. Some times it just barely leaves the barrel. I've talked to Scott and he said it could be the rebound spring. He's supposed to get some "modified" springs in soon. I've been waiting to try them and see what happens. As a last resort, I'll send it Scott to work on the trigger.

Not all pencil erasers are made of the same material. Some will bounce better, some are so soft the FP will pierce the eraser. The real test is will it ignite primers, not how far it shoots pencils out. Lighter springs for the FP don't work so why would someone want to push the limits of function for very little pull weight reduction and lighter recoil springs. The factory weight FP, rebound, and recoil springs will provide reliability and function.

The Canyon Creek FP and rebound springs are factory spec, they aren't lighter.

Rich

Not all pencil erasers are made of the same material. Some will bounce better, some are so soft the FP will pierce the eraser. The real test is will it ignite primers, not how far it shoots pencils out. Lighter springs for the FP don't work so why would someone want to push the limits of function for very little pull weight reduction and lighter recoil springs. The factory weight FP, rebound, and recoil springs will provide reliability and function.

The Canyon Creek FP and rebound springs are factory spec, they aren't lighter.

Rich

You mean these springs?

http://pistolgear.com/proddetail.php?prod=01CAA

I have two Canyon Creek Production Ready 9mm XD tacticals. Both are reliable with CCI factory ammo. (The only problem I had were ammo related - a few of the Blazer aluminum cases were too long. I sent them back to CCI and they sent me a couple boxes of free ammo.) I now gauge check all ammo before a match.

I have two Canyon Creek Production Ready 9mm XD tacticals. Both are reliable with CCI factory ammo. (The only problem I had were ammo related - a few of the Blazer aluminum cases were too long. I sent them back to CCI and they sent me a couple boxes of free ammo.) I now gauge check all ammo before a match.

After a little more use, my gun will fire factory ammunition but not my reloaded stuff with CCI primers...I guess I better recheck the oal of those bullets :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

I just had the same problem with my XDM... Unfortunately, I found out about 1.5 seconds after a buzzer went off!

I removed the old parts and added the new parts from Springer Precision... Went very smoothly, Kyle was a huge help. I took out the useless auto-takedown parts as I don't want any unnecessary moving parts and I know how to pull the trigger. I finished my tuning and dry-fired like a dream. Even passed the pen test (I use a dowel rod) and shot high in the air. I had to deal with some stuff at home before the Tuesday fun shoot and didn't have time to live-fire beforehand. Bad idea. I told myself on the way out the door, "self, bring your limited gun just in case". Should have listened... So after the ready command, I heard a buzzer and then a click. Light strike on primer.

I called Kyle again at Springer and he walked me through the fix. It turned out that the striker safety wasn't getting disengaged fast enough and the striker couldn't finish at full speed. Found that out by removing striker indicator and springs from slide, putting slide back on, pulling trigger and watching that the striker was slightly touching the striker safety. So, a little grinding and polishing on the striker safety and I was back in business. Runs like a dream. Night and day over the factory XDM trigger.

Here are some pics:

Gallery of photos on MobileMe

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg