Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HAP Bullets

YukonGlocker

Has anyone tried the Hornady Action Pistol bullets in 9mm?

Thoughts?

I bought 1000 from midway to try out. They shot well in my g34, but not really any better than other jacketed or copper coated or precision moly coated bullets. For me, not worth the extra price.

XTPs are the best I've tried so far.

I'm thinking about trying the HAPs as they are a little cheaper.

I will be loading a minor PF load for USPSA.

What's you favorite load with the HAP?

Go for the HAP's Yukon; they're XTP's without the serrations is what I'm told.

Hornady blems are better than anyone else's non blem bullets.

What else are you going to do in the middle of Nebraska; other than make the best bullets in the world?

FM

Edited by Front Man

Montana Gold are just as accurate as the Hap bullets. They are less expensive and M/G has much better quality control. There is no media in the hollow point of M/G bullets.

FWIW I've had more bad MG's than HAPs (very few of each, though), and the HAPs consistently outshoot the MG's in my pistols by a small amount. I will use either with no qualms however.

I did try them, and I liked them. The only thing that bothered me is that Hornady insists that they are designed for 38 Special and are not intended for use in 9mm. I'm not sure how much difference .001 makes in diameter, but they seem to think it's a big deal (or they are playing CYA).

I did try them, and I liked them. The only thing that bothered me is that Hornady insists that they are designed for 38 Special and are not intended for use in 9mm. I'm not sure how much difference .001 makes in diameter, but they seem to think it's a big deal (or they are playing CYA).

Yes, the HAPs are spec-ed at .356", but work fine in 9mm. I've used the 124gn HAPs in both my STI Rangemaster (5" bull barrel) and my Sig P226. I have had zero problems in either gun. They chamber and feed every time. More accurate than I can shoot with metallic sights. I'm using the Lee 4-die set with the FCD. I am planning to try some out in 121gn in my Bianchi open gun chambered in 38S.