Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why did you migrate from XP......?........ :mellow:

I didn't! This new bank of company laptops from Dell came with Vista Home Premium installed and I kept one of them as Vista to see what it was like and also gather documentation for installing ezws on it for the uspsa support website. (That's in the works.)

You can pick the XP theme for the look and feel, and you can turn off the nagging at installs from control panel, users, User access control.

Do you mean "User Account Control"? I'm guessing you do; that's the only thing I see like that.

I probably won't recommend turning that off for the ezws setup documentation. Honestly, there really are people who need that level of "nanny'ing" (totally made up word). On the other hand, it's annoying having the system second-guess you every time you want to fire up ezws to score a match.

Wish he wouldn't put that stupid Windows Security shield over my EZWS desktop icon.

Edited by wgnoyes

I probably won't recommend turning that off for the ezws setup documentation. Honestly, there really are people who need that level of "nanny'ing" (totally made up word). On the other hand, it's annoying having the system second-guess you every time you want to fire up ezws to score a match.

On the other hand, maybe I will! When I turn off UAC, he no longer requires "run as administrator" to be set for ezws (previously necessary to create/open any match file other than the default match.db), and as a result of that, the Windows Shield disappeared from the desktop icon.

I won a new Dell laptop with Vista Ultimate and Office 2007 and i just don't see the value in Vista. It's a memory hog, i had to upgrade a number of software packages i already owned and the wireless networking locks up about once a day.

What't that old line - "There's no there there"

A new MAC is looking better every day.

• 2 weeks later...
So, I'm taking it that Vista still sucks big wind?

No --- I'm liking it quite a bit, but it's running on a modern laptop with 2 gigs of ram. I have no plans at present to convert the other laptop, or the desktop from XP Pro. If I were to need to, I'd either add another 2 gigs of RAM to the desktop, for a total of four, or perhaps build a new desktop.....

Went to Best Buy Tuesday and they had Gateway laptops for $350.00. Bought one - of course Vista is on it. I am just wondering ...why? Why the changes to the familiar interface from XP Pro? What was the purpose in changing the interface to something less intuitive?

Went to Best Buy Tuesday and they had Gateway laptops for $350.00. Bought one - of course Vista is on it. I am just wondering ...why? Why the changes to the familiar interface from XP Pro? What was the purpose in changing the interface to something less intuitive?

are you nuts...the answer is $$

Lots more software you will have to buy....

Not to mention that Microsoft came out and admitted that they are/were going for the Max OS X look. It seems people in general like the "cute" type stuff. Problem is, in typical Microsoft fashion it's a serious memory hog and it takes a ton of video resources to render all that 3D desktop stuff. One other thing in support for DirectX 10 which MS keeps flip-flopping on for XP. DX10 won't be a big issue to casual users and light gamers but most if not all of the new serious games coming out will benefit from DX10.

Bottom line... $$$$

It all started out when I lost my ability to print (print spooler probably) on my laptop with Xp and rather than fiddle with trying to repair or reinstall, I said what the heck, I'll just upgrade to Vista. Of course I expected that all my loaded software would be compatable like it was with previous upgrades. WRONG !!!!!!!! After a lot of time on the internet getting upgrades, I finally had most of them back. Unfortunately, windows kept crashing the system and failed to reboot with any USB port occupied (my G: drive backup). My biggest problem was I was in the process of making a DVD with Studio 9. After losing all my data twice I found that I must get the Studio 11 version (no upgade) for $99.00. That seemed to work a little better though I still got a lot of crashes (but I backed up every 5 minutes). Looked at my memory usage and discovered what a hog Vista really is. I had 1 gig (2 512 SIMMs). Decided to upgrade to 2 gig. Of course that means you really need to buy two 1 gig SIMMs. Another $87.00. Stll slow with all the CR_P Microsofts automatically installs on your system. Renewed my Start Up Cop and zapped most of the startup junk. System still crashes periodically but much better. It's just a damn shame the richest man in the world won't for go some of the profits and put out a stable, finished product without all the junk that no one wants anyway.

I have absolutely no desire or reason to migrate to Vista anytime soon or in the forseeable future. I'm not all hot to have my system "look like" a Macintosh interface or have it consume my memory like a binge eater. I just want it to WORK and work WELL... all the time. No fancy high-end gaming, no video movie software--none of that stuff. XP has served me well for quite some time and I'm pleased. Just a steady stream of MSOffice applications, current Photoshop versions, a little forum surfin' and other online research and a lot of e-mail with the occasional graphic art attachment. XP is fine for all this. I don't need a black-hole OS to take all that away just because the 'rich man' was in a hurry to imitate Apple. <_<

My wife's new Toshiba Laptop came with vista.

I added 2Gigs of RAM and pulled off all the crapware, turned off all the nags and . . . . . .

finally, gave up and went back to XP

XP with 2Gigs runs REAL NICE. :D

The best thing about Vista is.....it got me to try LINUX.

I guess my fear is that I will buy a Wintel laptop and *not* be able to get the drivers to retrograde it to XP. Has that been a problem yet? Or are the drivers the same?

It can be, especially with a Laptop.

My only problem is I can't get it to hybernate when I close the lid.

Other than that, everything is fine.

at some point Toshi might release XP drivers for this machine.

Edited by Derek45

So, I'm taking it that Vista still sucks big wind?

Well.... the Aero stuff grows on you, I have to admit. It's more polished than anything I've used previously. Possibly to the point of annoyance, actually. I've scored a match on ezws3.02 on Vista Home Ultimate (the primary reason I kept this particular Dell machine as Vista) and fade-in/fade-out confirmation windows at the end of entering someone's score can actually slow you down a little bit, I think. Vista became tolerable actually once I turned off UAC.

I was particularly struck at how slow Windows Media Player was to load a .wmv video on Vista, when XP would have already been playing 15 seconds worth. However, then I noticed a new icon on the desktop called Windows Media Center, went through the setup for that, and it loads and plays much more slickly than any of the players I've run before.

Now what I haven't done is try to install any of my higher-end software on this system (Adobe CS2, Macromedia Studio 8) nor have I tried to install my backleveled Office XP. I won't be trying this; it's not my machine.

I have absolutely no desire or reason to migrate to Vista anytime soon or in the forseeable future. I'm not all hot to have my system "look like" a Macintosh interface or have it consume my memory like a binge eater. I just want it to WORK and work WELL... all the time. No fancy high-end gaming, no video movie software--none of that stuff. XP has served me well for quite some time and I'm pleased.

And that's fine for now. But you'll have to give in eventually, and we all know it. I remember saying pretty much the same thing about XP when it first came out, and Win2000Pro at the time was all of 18 months old. What's the point of XP? If MS knew XP was in the works, why did they bother with Win2000? What's all this bubble-gum glitz, and how do I turn it off? Where's my old clean interface?, etc, etc. And I promise you, we'll be saying the same things again a few years down the road when whatever comes out to replace Vista appears. What kind of new interface is this? Where's my old Vista desktop? How do I get it back? Etc, etc.

And so it goes.