Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I decided that I want a new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4-Door.

I shopped around at the local dealers but none had the exact configuration that I wanted so the New Braunfels dealer suggested that I special order it.

I told them what I wanted, plopped down $500.00 and they said the car should be available September 1st.

I called last week to check on the status and the sales guy said that he has no way of checking on the delivery date and hopes that it will be sometime in the first two weeks of September.

I'm just not understanding how it's impossible for them to check on an order that they placed.

I do special orders at my work all the time. I can call my vendors and they can give me the status of the order as it moves through the manufacturing facility.

I am I being given the runaround here?

Anyone here work in new car sales?

-Chet

Edited by DJPoLo

Usually when a vehicle is ordered by the dealer it generates a Target Production Week or TPW, based on things like color, options, etc that may be getting built certain days/weeks, etc. It also generates an order number, so the dealer can track it.

Now, TPWs shift alot, and just because the computer says a date, it doesn't mean its so..... add in shipping, and now you've added a 1 to 2 weeks of more variable on delivery date. Even if a unit is made, gets a VIN and is ready to ship, once its intransit it can be difficult for the dealer to nail down an exact delivery date. Or they are unwilling to nail themselves down based on past let downs to customers when things did not show on time.

Another big wrinkle is that in many case, especially on more popular vehicles, a dealer is only allocated so many of that unit to order and sell, based off availibility and his past sales rate..... if that dealer has not "earned" a unit like you need, it may take several weeks for an allocation to generate to the dealer, that will then allow him to fulfill your order. Even if its a "sold order" in may cases.

The dealer should be able to provide you with an order number, and an expected production date range, best guess, and a 1 week window it will probably hit the ground at the dealership. If he can't, he is jerking you around (or you aren't talking to the right guy). Ask to speak to the inventory manager or general manager if your sales rep can't answer these questions.

Edited by sfinney

The dealer can also just be waiting for a dealer trade to occur that allows them extra room for profit rather than waste an order allocation. They will wait until it is most advantageous for them (esp. with popular models) and then miraculously your order arrives.

Edited by smokshwn

• 2 weeks later...

I called and spoke with the Sales Manager today. He said that "their commodities are limited", our "order has been approved" but not submitted because of the commodities thing. After the order is submitted it will be eight weeks to manufacture.

I'm not particularly thrilled but it sounds vaguely like what sfinny warned might be happening.

I just wish the dealership had been providing me with updates becuase they must have know this for a while.

-Chet

Oh yea, they know, exactly. The second the order is placed the car is assigned a VIN number, at least with Dodge. My GF bought a brand new Avenger about two months after they came out. One dealer gave her the crap about allotment, commodities, and they had to wait for the order to be "approved".

She got pissed, called BS on the dealers part and went to another dealer to place the order. She told the salesman what the first dealer had told her and he just couldn't believe that somebody didn't want to sell a brand new car. He took her order (options, etc) and told her he'd call her the next or two as it was getting a little late in the day. Two days later he called her with the order confirmation number, VIN for the car and expected completion date. The dealer is even notified when the car rolls off the line. She got that call about a week and a half later. The dealer said he'd have it on the lot in three to five days. Being on the impatient side on day three she called to see if it was in yet. The salesman said "Not yet. Can you hold while I check to see where it is?" She was like oh yea. Less than five minutes later he was back and said he had to call and raise some stink. The car hadn't been shipped yet and he'd find out WTF was going on and call her back. Shortly later he called and said that Chrysler didn't have a full truck coming his way so they were waiting to ship it. He told them BS, get that car here YESTERDAY, I don't care if it's the only thing on the truck! Two days later she had her brand new shiny Avenger in her drive.

It all depends on how much the salesman cares, just like in anything else bought/sold. Get a bad salesman/dealer and wait. Get one that wants to get you a car and you'll get it.

You might want to check around.

Translated from "dealerese":

He said that "their commodities are limited"

They had not received an allocation for the type vehicle you want....... they were waiting, and hoping that they would some day.

our "order has been approved" but not submitted

They "approved" taking your money and agreeing to order you a vehicle......eventually. They "built it" in the computer, but as far as Jeep is concerned your order does not exist til the dealer earns an allocation.

After the order is submitted it will be eight weeks to manufacture.

Once they eventually get an allocation, they will finally do what you asked, and place the order with the manufacturer. From there, its 6 to 8 weeks...

I just wish the dealership had been providing me with updates becuase they must have know this for a while.

They did not want you walk and go to another dealership, and they knew that once you committed to an order, and put a deposit down, it would be very unlikely you would walk later..... you would already be time "invested" as well, and likely could not find one anywhere else either. If you did walk now, no big deal, they still had a very desirable product on the way that would be sold very quickly. And they would keep your $500. Win win (for them).

Advice:

1) I'd pin them down on a date they expect to get one of these units made available to them, and then have them guarantee that you would then get your vehicle within 8 weeks of that date.... or you want a full refund. Mention the Better Business Bureau if things get ugly.

2) Shop another Dealership, ask them to do a "dealer locate" for one of these units, as close as possible to the one you want... if they can find you one, and can get it for you, go there instead.

3) If they are really that hard to find everywhere, you may just have to ride it out, and wait..... but I'd still make sure you let the Dealer or General Manager know you are not happy about the "mis-communication" and false expectations set by the sales staff.

Oh yea, they know, exactly. The second the order is placed the car is assigned a VIN number, at least with Dodge. My GF bought a brand new Avenger about two months after they came out. One dealer gave her the crap about allotment, commodities, and they had to wait for the order to be "approved".

She got pissed, called BS on the dealers part and went to another dealer to place the order. She told the salesman what the first dealer had told her and he just couldn't believe that somebody didn't want to sell a brand new car. He took her order (options, etc) and told her he'd call her the next or two as it was getting a little late in the day. Two days later he called her with the order confirmation number, VIN for the car and expected completion date. The dealer is even notified when the car rolls off the line. She got that call about a week and a half later. The dealer said he'd have it on the lot in three to five days. Being on the impatient side on day three she called to see if it was in yet. The salesman said "Not yet. Can you hold while I check to see where it is?" She was like oh yea. Less than five minutes later he was back and said he had to call and raise some stink. The car hadn't been shipped yet and he'd find out WTF was going on and call her back. Shortly later he called and said that Chrysler didn't have a full truck coming his way so they were waiting to ship it. He told them BS, get that car here YESTERDAY, I don't care if it's the only thing on the truck! Two days later she had her brand new shiny Avenger in her drive.

It all depends on how much the salesman cares, just like in anything else bought/sold. Get a bad salesman/dealer and wait. Get one that wants to get you a car and you'll get it.

There are some situations where the manufacturer has a pool of pre-made vehicles that can be pulled from, and shipped asap, those would have VINS.

Or sometimes a dealer will stall, tell you vehicle is ordered, but in reality arrange to trade for or buy one that matches your build from another dealers inventory.... end result is the same, you still get your car, but they are being less than forthright with some of the info on how they got it so quick. ;)

Edited by sfinney

There are some situations where the manufacturer has a pool of pre-made vehicles that can be pulled from, and shipped asap, those would have VINS.

Or sometimes a dealer will stall, tell you vehicle is ordered, but in reality arrange to trade for or buy one that matches your build from another dealers inventory.... end result is the same, you still get your car, but they are being less than forthright with some of the info on how they got it so quick. ;)

That may happen also. With car companies who knows. I just know that they gave her the VIN less than 36 hours after she left the dealer and it was/is the VIN on her car. I checked it because I thought that was odd. I didn't know the VIN was assigned that soon but if you think about it it makes sense. Everything you need to know about a car is contained in the VIN other than color. Engine size, trans, etc. When she bought the car there were no Avengers on dealer lots except the high end SRT's. She wanted an SXT only to get the "sport package" with a spoiler because as she says it makes the car look HOT and nothing else! :lol: This car is such an odd mish mosh of odd options (heated leather seats, basic radio (single disk CD), no automatic headlights (wtf?), spoiler) I highly doubt it was sitting around anywhere especially since they had only been out for about a month and change when she ordered it.

Go to the dealership and ask them for the number for the Chrysler Customer Service Center so you can report their sales practices. Dealers swap vehicles all the time and my last Ford came from a dealer 300 miles away. But then I use an employee discount plan so it is win win for the dealer because he gets an additional allocation for next year.

I decided that I want a new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4-Door.

I shopped around at the local dealers but none had the exact configuration that I wanted so the New Braunfels dealer suggested that I special order it.

I told them what I wanted, plopped down $500.00 and they said the car should be available September 1st.

I called last week to check on the status and the sales guy said that he has no way of checking on the delivery date and hopes that it will be sometime in the first two weeks of September.

I'm just not understanding how it's impossible for them to check on an order that they placed.

I do special orders at my work all the time. I can call my vendors and they can give me the status of the order as it moves through the manufacturing facility.

I am I being given the runaround here?

Anyone here work in new car sales?

-Chet

chet,

look at this way.. the dealer is not your friend. he'll screw you over in a heartbeat. tell them what you want, what you'll pay, and then listen to what they'll do for you. make the deal, get ready to sign the deal..then just get up and leave. then, if they'll give yout the best deal.

lynn

WOW! This is why I have needed a new car for the last two years, but have not gotten one. A bad experience several years ago still left a bad taste in my mouth. I am so jaded to car salesmen that I'm sure that I'd kill em either before, during, or after the sale.

• 3 months later...

Well, after a six month wait, my new Jeep is finally here.

I learned much in this process, mostly from the JK Forum website and also from Chrysler.

It turns out that the delay was caused by two options that I had installed. They were back-ordered on the MyGiG GPS system and then when that came available they were back-ordered on the hard top.

No worries, though, it's here now. :cheers:

-Chet

MyNewJeep.jpg

Edited by DJPoLo

Nice rig!

But I think your $500 deposit should have (and maybe it does) gone into a trust account until you closed the deal.

Regardless of the dollar amount they should not have use of your money until they delivered.

My thoughts exactly, however, they have bent over BACKWARDS to ensure that I give them a 100% rating on the post-sale satisfaction survey. I have the upper hand and they have given me everything and more that I asked for to ensure that "one hand washes the other". I couldn't be happier and will post pics of the upgrades soon! :blush:

-Chet

I'll tell you whats really going on. They take your order and give you that sweet price you are wanting to pay. (They never order your vehicle and let you wait. They have now taken you out of shopping other dealers and you are their customer.) You tell all your family and friends that you have a new vehicle on order and are excited waiting its arrival. When it doesn't come in, you have been waiting and are frustrated wanting your new vehicle. They show you another vehicle they have on the lot/computer that is similar but has more options. The sweet price is gone and you buy something that they did not have to order. It clears their inventory or allows them to order something they need.

This happened to me many years ago and a friend in the car business told me what was happening. He suggested I prove it to myself and go to the dealer distraught about not receiving my new vehicle. I did and the game was played just as he had told me it would be.

I didn't buy from them then and many years later I still won't deal with them.

Buddy