Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Worldshoot in the US?

rtr

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all about obtaining Olympic sanction for the sport in order to protect IPSC's existence in nations where it could be banned if not for the fact that national pride was on the line. Testing for performance-enhancing substances is mandatory per the IOC, thus drug testing at IPSC matches.

The problem is that the average olympian is 20-something and the average IPSC shooter is 40 to 50 something and a lot of drugs that 40 to 50 somethings need to make it through the day are prohibited substances under the IOC. I, for one, will need to have physician's certification in order to continue in the sport, so it's a bit of a sore point for me (and I'm still in my 30's).

I'm not aware of any of the testing results being published (names omitted) so that the logistical problems could be sorted through. And, as of yet, no one has been able to provide a list of substances that enhance your shooting. :rolleyes:

Edited by EricW

It's all about obtaining Olympic sanction for the sport in order to protect IPSC's existence in nations where it could be banned if not for the fact that national pride was on the line. Testing for performance-enhancing substances is mandatory per the IOC, thus drug testing at IPSC matches.

Ah, I get it now, The IPSC pipe dream.

Lotsa Luck fellas.

Alcohol is on the ban list, and they can check you at anytime from the star untill the end of the match. When I question Vince about the need for this BS his anwser was "if I have to ask I wouldn't understand".

As for foreigner's getting their guns in, It is a simple process, I've been doing it for the last 5+ years. Get a match invite and Fill out a Form 6 NIA with the specs of the gun(s) and ammo you want to bring in then send it off to the ATF. The only issue is that since I have no right to be in your country the Customs officer can still refuse to let me in even if my Form is approved by the ATF.

Edited by Mike Dame

The only issue is that since I have no right to be in your country the Customs officer can still refuse to let me in even if my Form is approved by the ATF.

Visa requirement is another thing. Not all countries can come into the US with passport only, they may need to apply for visa too. Some consulates/embassies may not buy the idea that you are attending a pistol tournament in the US and deny you your visa...

I want to hear what drug and why it would give you an advantage in IPSC. This is funny.

Ok confession I have been taking a performancing enhancing drug for years.

800 mg ibuprofen

I am a JUNKIE!!

I would like to shoot a World though

Edited by BSeevers

The only issue is that since I have no right to be in your country the Customs officer can still refuse to let me in even if my Form is approved by the ATF.

Visa requirement is another thing. Not all countries can come into the US with passport only, they may need to apply for visa too. Some consulates/embassies may not buy the idea that you are attending a pistol tournament in the US and deny you your visa...

Generally, the issue is one of getting an visa to enter into the US if you come from a country that is not on the US Visa Waiver program. If you are from a nation that has a generally lower economic standard of living, you may need to prove enough home-country financial resources to convince the US you will really use the second half of that round trip ticket.

Some countries may requier an exit visa, however, it would be very bizarre if a nation would allow it's citizens to own firearms and then deny them a visa to exit the nation (though there could be some export restrictions preventing the removal of guns from their home country).

Rob,

Not being at all familiar with international firearms laws I do still have to wonder. If there is a World Shoot, ANYWHERE in the world, then most all the shooters that would shoot or could shoot do shoot so the question of exiting one's country with their gun should be already answered and a matter of record. They just held the EHC, was anyone that wanted to or was qualified to and wanted to shoot it denied either entry to France OR exit from their own country?

The other question that was asked was regarding the US allowing a shooter in if they thought that he/she might not want to go home. Not too sure here, but IF the shooter has enough wherewithal in his home country (we are assuming a lower economic level at his home) to be able to afford international travel for the time frame required to compete on a world level, it is likely he has a lot at home to return to.

Then again, I could be wrong.

Jim

Drug testing?

What drugs? I don't think that the typical steroids used in Major league sports are what we are talking about here. I would hope that since we have a very large contingent of "older" competitors that aspirin, Ibuprofen, acetaminophen and the like would not be banned. Also many of us suffer from allergies and take over-the-counter relief medications. Then there are the medically necessary prescribed drugs for those of our group that are shooting with heart or lung conditions.

As for alcohol, I don't have a big problem proving I am not drunk when I show up, I woould object to not being allowed to shoot if I have a glass or two of wine or a beer with dinner.

Maybe someone from IPSC would like to post regarding the official policy?????

Jim

Drug test???

What kind of crap is that ?

What are they wanting to test for...cortizone in Robbie's knee ??? :rolleyes:

It's OK Flex...Pharoah Bender will hold your cup for you at the Pan American. He's into golden showers. :goof:

Doesn't yellow and blue make green??? :sick:

Edited by Barrettone

The other question that was asked was regarding the US allowing a shooter in if they thought that he/she might not want to go home. Not too sure here, but IF the shooter has enough wherewithal in his home country (we are assuming a lower economic level at his home) to be able to afford international travel for the time frame required to compete on a world level, it is likely he has a lot at home to return to.

True - but such individuals would have to go through the process of providing documentation, and in some cases a personal interview, sufficient to satisfy the official who approves the visa application.

They are using th WADA list, so some prescription drugs are on the list. You will need to produce a doctors note to be exempt. as for the acohol, they can test you when your off the range on your off day as long as the match is in progress.

Not likely in the forseeable future I'm afraid, as the ISSF has shown itself to be outright hostile against IPSC. We're not going to the Olympics any time soon... :blink:

See the attached document.

Excerpt:

"Already in the 2005 General Assembly in Berlin, the application of the International Practical Shooting Confederation had been rejected and an application for membership was filed again in this year’s General Assembly. Its President, Mr. Nick Alexakos, once again set forth that the aim of practical

shooting is to obtain as many points as possible in the least amount of time while taking into account the elements of speed, accuracy and power. Practical shooting showed a video and it was possible for those present to observe actions with loaded guns in simulated technical situations. The IPSC used human-shaped targets and Mr. Schreiber, Secretary General of ISSF took the floor and stated that these activities of the IPSC were partially in conflict and rivalled with the activities of the ISSF. He further told the delegates that ISSF firmly believed that IPCS shooting events could not be recognized as sport shooting

events because they too closely resembled combat, police and personal defence training to be considered as sports within the Olympic sports community. Targets should not symbolize the killing or the destruction of human beings or animals. The priority of IPSC activities is that of technical training and competition in firearms rather then sport. Mr. Schreiber, therefore, appealed to the delegates of the General Assembly of AGFIS/GAISF not to accept

the IPSC as a member of the organization. Only seven votes out of seventy were in favour of granting membership to the IPSC. The ISSF was very satisfied with this result and, once again, would like to remind all members, officials, trainers, coaches and athletes of our international federation of the decision of our General Assembly 2000 in Sydney, Australia to not cooperate with the IPSC and that no member of the ISSF shall participate in any practical shooting activities."

ISSFN_206_004_Activities.pdf

Edited by SouthpawG26

Re: IPSC and the Olympics

http://www.vpc.org/studies/goldone.htm

I feel dirty posting a link to the VPC, but here's an article written about the IPSC/Olympics ordeal with an anti-gun/2A slant by a gun control lobby. I stumbled across the article a couple months ago and thought it was an interesting read, if for just the background on the IPSC Olympics (pipe)dream I was not aware of before. Dose of salt required, best to just gloss over the usual sensational, if not comedic, rhetoric.

Edited by lokigoesrawr

Re: IPSC and the Olympics

http://www.vpc.org/studies/goldone.htm

I feel dirty posting a link to the VPC, but here's an article written about the IPSC/Olympics ordeal with an anti-gun/2A slant by a gun control lobby. I stumbled across the article a couple months ago and thought it was an interesting read, if for just the background on the IPSC Olympics (pipe)dream I was not aware of before. Dose of salt required, best to just gloss over the usual sensational, if not comedic, rhetoric.

I feel dirty for reading the article but it is an interesting read.

Even if the drug testing is still a requirement, its much less of an issue than you think. Based on Vince's comments, the ISSF had already slammed the door in IPSC's face, but the drug testing was implemented for the perception of legitimacy and the long range protection of the sport. Ever major international sports confederation drug tests, so the perception is if you don't you are small time, I guess. Remember so face challenges that "civil right" is an answer to.

If the US puts on a WS and the drug tests are required, I am quite sure that the procedure will be published and the fact that IPSC/USPSA shooters tend to be older with prescriptions has never been an issue as my understanding is the "proof" levels have been held at reasonable levels.

From some conversations with IPSC types over the years, the ISSF head-asshat has a major ax to grind with IPSC for whatever reason (musta got DQed at his first match or something) and until he goes away, nothing much is going to happen there.

They also are very realistic about the snowball's chance IPSC has as an Olympic sport. But, ISSF recognition and/or generally behaving like a professional sport (drug testing) is helpful in some countries where they have to deal with the cr@p that is a "Minister of Sport" in order to own reasonable caliber guns.

Based on my international experience, I'd say the drug test thing is pretty much a non-issue unless you are likely to win the World Shoot, in which case it might be a good idea to bring along your prescription paperwork.

The agenda for the Nov. 3-4 BOD meeting in Phoenix includes a bullet point about the 2011 Worldshoot in the US, very glad to see that.

Edited by rtr