Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide lightening

KentG

Is it worth the expense to lighten a slide? I cant seem to find a consensus. Does it help on recoil, muzzle flip, etc?

Yep, it's worth it. That's the next/last thing I'm going to have done to my Limited gun...even though it'll cost a refinish which will be Ion bond to match my new Open gun (super cool finish too!).

Matt has a finanical interest in saying yes ;)

Where it is legal per sport rules I lighten all my slides also. :D

Matt has talent worth finanical gain. :lol:

If your going to make holes, they might as well look good too! :devil:

not sure if i can post this but i will anyway and ask forgiveness later.

www.gansguns.com

that person did some slide cuts on a gun that i saw at Area1 and was very intrigued by it. He does many different ones and has all the pictures to see what you would be getting. Thinking about send my slide in to have it done.

+100 on Gary at Gans Guns...did awesome work, you can see my blaster in the IonBond thread, and the turn around time is phenominal...mailed the gun on Monday, he got it Tuesday and emailed my pics on Wed so I could see the work...installed my trigger components/hammer/set it up and it was back to me the next Tues, really!

Matt has a finanical interest in saying yes ;)

Where it is legal per sport rules I lighten all my slides also. :D

Matt has talent worth finanical gain. :lol:

If your going to make holes, they might as well look good too! :devil:

:cheers:

Matt makes some very unique cuts that are truly very nice.. :cheers::cheers:

Matt can you also flute out or lighten my unported hybrid barrel once it comes in ?

Edited by ogiebb

:surprise::surprise:

With this trend going on for slide lightenning cuts ... maybe I should get one of those SPS "Pelican" Limited/Standard guns and whittle the slide away untill it weighs the same as the aluminum slide of my High Standard Olympic. Kind of steel swiss cheese.

I am getting enough requests for odd designs that I have been thinking of going to the "Tatoo" shop next block and borrowing some of their designs. :goof::goof::devil:

Benny made me a 5" Fat Free with a 10.5 oz slide compared to my other SVs that have 12 oz Classic slides.

I prefer that gun over all others but it now has 116,000+ rounds so I'll have to build another soon. It transitions fast but is a bit snappy until you get used to it.

I don't think I'd lighten a Glock or XD though.

I just picked up a Cheely built limited gun that had slide lightening done. I must say compared to my Edge, I prefer the lighter set-up tremendously! It actually has a lighter feeling recoil, and doesn't seem to have anymore muzzle flip as compared to the Edge.

when you lighten the slide do you put in a stronger recoil spring? A really good shooter in our club

uses the lightest hammer and recoil spring combinatios that he can.If he gets a crack he will just

have it fixed.where is the happy medium. I have both 1911 and 2011 frm sti in .45 acp 5 inch blued.

Is this worth doing on either of these or is slide lightening pretty much for the .40 hi caps.