Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How reliable are the Para's

I have a P16-40 that is about 6 years old. I bought the basic unit asuming I'd be replacing all the parts. Now the only original parts on it are the Barrel, Slide, Grips, and Frame. I've replaced everything and it works pretty flawlessly. I can feed it minor or major ammo with no issues. Loaded long, loaded short, it seems to feed everything I give it. RN, TC, SWC, HP.. everything. 13 pound recoil spring by Wolff, mags with Arredando(sp?) +3 base pads get me to 19 reloadable. If I worked at it I could probably get 20 or 21 in them but I like it simple. Someone wise once said, if you are shooting till you have only 1 left, you didn't plan your reload right..

You can buy a new Para. It might run. It might not. Some money might make some Paras run. Other Paras it seems no amount of time, money, or trips back to the factory will make them run.

Or you can buy a used low-mileage S_I off the classifieds that hails from a builder of known-repute. It will probably run perfectly. If not, send it to Benny @ Triangle and it will come back and work perfectly. I'd rather spend a few extra bucks and be 100% sure of the outcome.

I'm not denying that there are lots of Paras that run perfectly. But there is no denying that there's no shortage of people in Para Hell. All I see is a $1K coin toss. Just one opinion.

I have a P14 and P16. Paid $600 each and put a trigger job on one. I run Para tubes with Dawson pads and my reloads. 20,000 rounds for the P14 and over 30,000 for the P16. No trouble except normal maintance issue caused by me.

I bought the 16-40J model late last year and have used it ever since. I have never had one single problem with it and it is bone stock. I put Wolff +10% springs in the mags and if i cut off one coil i get 20 rounds, if i don't cut off a coil i get 19 with Dawson base pads. Everyone so far on this thread has said "I heard about, or I know a guy, or they just suck." Well I own one and have put 10,000 rounds through it this year and have never had a jam or failure to feed or any problem with a power extractor. While Edges need to go to the smith to be tuned up before they run, I have run my J model straight from the box with ammo that i reloaded (180 zero 4.8 gr TG). I just slather it up with slide glide and clean it every thousand rounds whether it needs it or not. Is it as good as a custom gun? Obviously not, but I think it is the best entry level gun for Limited or limited 10 there is in a single action. Once you know this is a sport you want to stick with you can upgrade after a couple of years if you want. I have been looking lovingly at one of those Spitfires Chuck has at Shooters Connection, but until i can afford it i have no problems using the Jarret model Para and will keep it even if i get something else.

I am a Para Owner, I have a P16-40J, which I bought over a year ago. So this will not be one of those "I know a guy" or anything like that.

The gun is great, it's exactly what I wanted, which was a good 1911 to see if I wanted to switch from my Glocks to 1911's without a second mortgage. I have about 10,000 rounds through it, I have had the PXT extractor break, but Para fixed it at no charge. And I have many more "rounds" through it dry firing getting used to a 1911 trigger, so it's been used hard. And the gun just keeps running.

The problem for me are magazines. Para mags suck! I have been fighting mag problems for just about the whole 2007 shooting season and have switched back to my Glock 35 because I can't get my mags to work. Para mags suck.

The gun worked great with the mags from Para with original springs and Dawson basepads, 20 +1. I have 7 of them, they all worked. But once the original springs died they have never work since and I have thrown away a lot of money on matches and travel costs because the mags puke. When I called Para they suggested I put the mags back to stock. Well DUH! I didn't know I was going to be restricted to Limited 10 when I bought the gun.

I have been on here several times looking for advice and/or help and have tried everything that has been suggested and the mags still don't work. And the sad part of it is, it would be such a simple fix for Para to correct. But unfortunately I now have to become a die maker to fix it myself or spend another $500 or so to switch over to SVI mags and a new mag release.

For a gun marketed as a Todd Jarrett model and with a USPSA logo right on the gun, it is really unacceptable that it won't work. And it's bad, because the gun is terrific. Has a good trigger, it comes with good parts, runs great but if the mags don't work, it's a single shot. I even e-mailed Todd and asked for help, that didn't work.

Would I recommend a Para to someone, yes I would. As long as they are willing to invest in SVI mags to correct the sorry magazines that come from Para.

Dan

I didnt know that you could use STI mags in a para? What all mods have to be done?

g10

Both STI and SVI magazines fit the gun. The STI mags seem to be loose in the gun, they sort of rattle a bit. I'm not sure if it effects function, when I fire the gun the mag drops out. So I don't know for sure.

The SVI mags seem to fit perfectly, no rattle, no movement. The problem is the mag release does not reach into the magazines far enough to hold them. On the SVI mags, the release is even with the mag tube inside edge, when you look at the release with Para mags or look at an STI/SVI with a mag inserted, the mag release extends inside the mag tube for a more secure engagement.

I'm not sure if anyone offers a longer mag release or if you can modify one to extend into the mag tube farther, that is my next job. I would think if I find a good welder, they could weld material onto the catch portion to make the engagement surface longer and it could be polished out like new. Or I think you may be able to modify a mag release by turning the stop shoulder down to extend into the gun further. I don't know which would be easier.

Does anyone know if a longer mag release is available? Any of the gunsmiths on the forum done this before?

Dan

g10

Both STI and SVI magazines fit the gun. The STI mags seem to be loose in the gun, they sort of rattle a bit. I'm not sure if it effects function, when I fire the gun the mag drops out. So I don't know for sure.

The SVI mags seem to fit perfectly, no rattle, no movement. The problem is the mag release does not reach into the magazines far enough to hold them. On the SVI mags, the release is even with the mag tube inside edge, when you look at the release with Para mags or look at an STI/SVI with a mag inserted, the mag release extends inside the mag tube for a more secure engagement.

I'm not sure if anyone offers a longer mag release or if you can modify one to extend into the mag tube farther, that is my next job. I would think if I find a good welder, they could weld material onto the catch portion to make the engagement surface longer and it could be polished out like new. Or I think you may be able to modify a mag release by turning the stop shoulder down to extend into the gun further. I don't know which would be easier.

Does anyone know if a longer mag release is available? Any of the gunsmiths on the forum done this before?

Dan

Rich at Canyon Creek made one for me. I think it was about $40.

Dan

Rich at Canyon Creek made one for me. I think it was about $40.

I have modified some Ed Brown para mag catches to use with STI tubes in my para-framed open guns. Essentially, you machine ~0.030" off the part of the catch that hits the frame on the button-end of the catch. I can post a pic but the files are at home in SoCal and I am in Dayton, Oh until Friday.

Wait, I just put together an image to try to explain what I did. post-400-1187835504.jpg

This mod lets the button go a hair deeper into the frame. It works with STI tubes and still works with Para tubes.

Later,

Chuck

PS: PM me if you need more info. BTW: I have to admit that Beven Grams and I came up with this trying to solve a dropping mag problem.

I started out with a p16 and it ran fine as long as ammo was loaded long(1.180). Mine was the older one without the power extractor and had the shake and bake finish on it. I owned a couple of others and had little or no problems with those either. The triggers werent great but that was fixable. The lpa sight in the rear would break, but para would mail you another. It was also nice that you could get 20+1 easily with the old Dawson pad for para. You could also go the cpmi pad and get 21+1. After a while though(about a year) I migrated over to SVI and havent regretted it. Like everyone else has said though there are good ones and bad ones. Overall htey are not as good out of the box as the other2 names but then they dont break the bank so if that is the way you can get into a fatgun then do it, but look around as there are always guys who have paras for sell and most of them have fixed all the bad thins on them for you. Plus sometime you get alot more gun for the money that way. :cheers:

I had a P16-40 and loved it. I have big hands it Paras feel great for me.

I am now shooting a SVI blaster, even though I loved my Para. Why? The SVI is just a better all around pistol.

Save your money and get a STI/SVI.

Or try a third option- The CZ/EAA limited blasters run around 1k and are really really nice. A couple guys recently started using them locally and we are all very impressed with the fit and feel. You can get reliable high cap mags for them.

I have a P14-45 with lots of rounds through it, bought it mid-90's. The only original parts are the frame, slide, barrel, grips, and main spring housing. And maybe a few pins. Two Para mags have Dawson extensions and they run great with Wolff springs. and ok with ISMI springs (occasional feed problems with ISMI). Even the ACT Mags run, although I can only get 13 rounds in those (need to work on that).

The first part that wore out was the bushing. At around 1000 rounds, the barrel/bushing fit was so loose, it shot dinner plate sized grounds at 15 yds. The last to wear out was the mag catch - a plastic part which I am surprised lasted as long as it did.

On another board (I do not know the seller):

Para-Ordnance Todd Jarrett .40 S&W IPSC

Lee

You could always follow Hopalongs example. Buy a para and use it to win enough parts from the prize table to build a Benny Blaster. Of course this requires the aforementioned lots of bullets and practice. But I imagine it's also a lot more fun and satisfying.

I currently own 5 STIs and I am down to one Para, which was the first hi-cap I owned.

I bought my P14-45 in the early 90s with the aluminum frame and sent it to EGW for a match barrel, bushing, frame rails, ect. The cost of the upgrades were a lot higher than the original pistol.

I bought a used Para "open" gun, and a P16-40 "Limited" during the ban. The "open" gun was set up for .38 super and I had problems with feeding out of the mags so I had it switched to run .38 Supercomp and it ran 100%. The P16-40 "Limited" didn't run. The barrel fit was so bad that it wasn't in the same place every time. I made the mistake of sending it to Para, where they replaced other parts for $200, but, they refused to do anything about the barrel. Guess what? When it came back from Para, it still wouldn't run! I bought an Ed Brown barrel and had it properly fitted along with a match bushing and it ran 100% and was very accurate!

I've heard of a lot of guys with issues with stock STIs and SVIs too, and have to take them to a good gunsmith to get them to run. The only STI that I had that wasn't a "custom" gun is my Eagle .40 that I use for IDPA, and that went to Dan Bedell when I first bought it, to have him tune it up and make it feel as close as possible to my "shorty" open gun.

You should ask your fellow shooters if you can try thier guns to se what actually works best for you. Most shooters will gladly let you try their guns.

If you take the time to look around, you CAN come up with some smoking deals, particularly on this site, and the USPSA site.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that whatever you get, make sure you have an "inspection period" and take it to a good gunsmith!