Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Friday Flame War 03-28-03

3quartertime

Last was late and barely a war at all. Let's ralley the posters and burn this week down.

Me first!!!

Who pissed off the weather gods in the mid-west??? Perfect weather for the last two weeks and the day before our match theres a chance of snow!!!

Inconsistancy blows,,, As I was just whining to Big Dave, "why can't I just keep getting better???"

United Airlines is waaay past inept. Thier inability to manage even a small organization is putting a major dent in the lifestyles of thousands in this area. If the morons that run that loser company are looking for a new location to start up business I have an great idea...BAGHDAD!!!

Much better now...

Why can't people that are applying for a job be intelligent enough to actually make sure that their cover letter and resume address at least the minimum qualifications outlined in the job description (for those out there looking for work right now HINT HINT!!!).

I am on a search committee at work and in reviewing almost 30 applications for a mid-level management postion (req a Master's degree even) only 5, count 'em FIVE even made a half-assed attempt. And I just know that at least half of the a-holes that just got dumped from the search are going to protest and cause trouble because they screwed themselves out of a chance!

If you don't meet the minimum quals then DO NOT APPLY!!!!!!!!!!!

I have better things to do with my work day than to waste even 10 minutes reviewing your application if you are so inept as to be incapable of formulating your cover letter appropriately.

Other stupidity seen on the applications:

A LOT of spelling errors. What? Spell check doesn't work on your computer?

"I am strongly anti-gun and will work to bring anti-gun programs to campus"

HINT: Eastern WA is very close to Idaho...many of us own guns.

"I have other offers, please let me know if you wish to make an offer within 10 days"

Well then, a-hole, better take one of those "offers" then because you won't be hearing from us for at least 2 weeks...if you are lucky!

"A$$holes do vex me!" - Robin Williams

Oh, I agree. Which is why all searches that are "mine" say " xyz degree or experience from which similar abilities/experience have been gained" or words to that effect. This search isn't mine, I just got drafted to be on the search committee. :(

If a degree related to my field were required I wouldn't have my current job.

Layoffs suck. More layoffs suck even more. Whatever happened to the company that actually cared about its employees more than the bottom line? Jerks.

Companies DON'T much care about their employees any more. THAT'S what's wrong.

I hate it when employers declare, "You're overqualified!" Which, translated, clearly means "You're too old."

I hate it when employers in Eugene ignore your educational qualifications if they don't happen to be

related to the University of Oregon. If you don't have a U/O degree here, abandon all hope.

I hate it when nepotism means more than the genuine skills and qualifications of a valid job applicant.

I hate it when people aren't paid a living wage or an equivalent wage of a counterpart. Like, just because

I'm female or single doesn't mean I eat less, use less petrol, pay less rent or need less medical attention

(or less ammo)!

I, too, hate seeing so DAMN' many resumes with gross and inexcusable spelling and punctuation errors.

We tend to bitch a bit about foreigners' not speaking English; well, then, what's wrong with most Americans

and their grammar, punctuation and spelling, f'r cryin' out loud....!!??

I don't even tell people right off that I have guns. I just wait for them to tell ME they are ANTI-gun then I

eliminate them from my field of contacts and acquaintances.

Harrumph!!! :angry:

When I met someone new and they asked me what I like to do, I used to tell them the truth and talk about shooting. Not anymore, I tell them I fish and camp, which is true, but until I know them LOTS better, I do not even mention shooting.

I know that is lame, but it emiminates all that shouting and embarassment that follow what I say when I find out they are left wing, liberal, anti-gun idiots.

I have an understated way of letting the right people know that I shoot: My flip-open wallet has a couple of slots for i.d. cards in obvious places. My Baron's Den membership card is in one slot (alongside the biz-card of one of the Sheriff's Office's criminal division attorneys). Shooters will see the Baron's card and react positively because they already know what that is (and likely may have one of their own). Most other people can't quite figure out what it is or do know and have the common sense to keep their objectionable little mouths shut in my presence. It all works out just fine. If I want to be REALLY brave, I wear my little 1-inch pewter Sig P239 lapel pin. But that's a little blatant in some company and not a wise idea in all cases. On the other hand, the Sig pin HAS brought out the shooter in some people and we've had nice spontaneous chats because of it. I just have to weigh the risks in wearing it. B)

"I am strongly anti-gun and will work to bring anti-gun programs to campus"

HINT: Eastern WA is very close to Idaho...many of us own guns.

Oh you gotta call this guy in...mention that you are very interested in his views on guns and the progams he wishes to bring in....Let him show up and go through his whole speech...then tell him he is NOT getting the job 'cuz he is a anti'gun wingnut and you don't hire individuals with personal/private political agendas. He wasted your time..only fair to waste some of his. Oh and mention that he might want to look at working in special ed...it seems to be right up his alley.

I hate the fact that business has become a prime venue to promote political agendas. The companies lays off worker bees, all the while some overpaid managerial bozo is off spouting platitudes and re-engineering the company mission statement and employee handbook to promote their personal political agenda.

Hey! I know how we can save some money.....

I hate protester who are so poorly informed that they don't seem to know what they are protesting.

People who spit on and insult the very young men and women who have volunteered to put down their lives to protect ours. These kids give up everything to do a job that few would want and in turn are treated like crap. This is not right.

I only hire people WITHOUT degrees in my business. (general contractor) Fresh out of jail, no prob. Gangsta' with a blond wife, I could care less. Thrown out of school, me too, when can ya start. Societys outcast, I got a job for you. Need money before ya start, I'll hook ya up, I've been there too. So why is it that only the roughest, toughest kids apply, I bend over backward to give them a chance, and they WIMP OUT after 3 days. :angry: Come on kids, you were talking tough a couple of days ago. Yep, I had another one walk out this week. Says I was too mean. Wahhhhhh. Life is tough, and you thought YOU WERE!!! I have exhausted my supply of boys and men in a 2 city radius. Now what, hire GIRLS?????? :wacko: They cant be any wimpier than the new crop of young men our schools are pumping out. Whats a real he man gonna do! When I was a kid, I used to have to walk to school 7 miles, uphill both ways, in the Arizona summer frying eggs on the pavement,etc.etc.etc. Heaven help me, I'm becoming my DAD!!!

Go for it Mark...hire some women. You just might be surprised. ;)

When I was in college I spent a summer working construction. We had an astoundingly attractive woman working on our crew who could work circles around the rest of us. No, not a ton of brute force strength but determination and overall smarts about how to work and work hard.

She could also drink most of us under the table. But that is another story for another forum. :wacko:

The vast majority of today's youth have no work ethic. I am certain of this. It makes me sad.

Oh...and don't be surprised if you run into some women that are meaner than you are. ;)