Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel1212

steel1212

got to actually do some live fire practice today. Allbeit it was with a .22 conversion on my 1911 but it was still live fire and outside! I basically just wanted to see where my base line was from since the last time I did some simple drills.

Draws with a 1911 from kydex.

I was averaging around .85 all day long. My worst was probably .95 or so with a best of .80....just couldn't break into the .7s and hit anything. This was all at about 5-7 yards but I still made myself hit A zone not just paper.

Draw, fire, reload, fire with SS legal gear.

I was getting around 2.2s and 2.3s with this. My reloads where all around 1.2, 1.3s.

Pretty much all I did. For some reason I couldn't do a bill drill with the .22. Either I was out running it or I have this SS with a looong reset. Couldn't really do any other multi shot test either because there really isn't any recoil to control.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haven't posted in a while. Haven't really been happy with my match performance of late. For some reason my classifiers have been good but my over all match performance not so much. Several things I need to clean up and several things I'm not paying attention to that I need to.

My video of the match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YnLVbwBS0Y...re=channel_page

Place Name USPSA Class Division PF Lady Mil Law For Age Points Stg %

1 Hopkins, Shaun A56938 A Single Stack Major N N N N 487.4536

100.00%

2 Estill, Corey A57351 A Single Stack Major N N N N 445.8125

91.46%

3 Foley, Mike TY47474 A Single Stack Major N N N N 408.2986

83.76%

4 Hall, William L2207 A Production Minor N N N N 376.4923

77.24%

5 Cook, Frank TY52633 B Production Minor N N N N 368.9670

75.69%

6 West, Barry FY37438 A Single Stack Minor N N N N 354.4585

72.72%

7 Prewitt, Greg TY38001 B Single Stack Major N N N N 353.8928

72.60%

8 Wimmer, Carl TY41628 C Production Minor N N N N 338.7262

69.49%

9 Crager, David A18426 A Single Stack Minor N N N N 337.2312

69.18%

10 Dillard, Jerry A6528 B Single Stack Major N N N N 326.5305

66.99%

11 Quinn, Larry TY39259 C Production Minor N N N N 307.8717

63.16%

12 Brown, Greg TY57893 U Production Minor N N N N 304.8278

62.53%

13 Carroll, Kevin TY33759 A Single Stack Minor N N N N 301.0926

61.77%

14 Cambron, John A47581 C Single Stack Major N N N N 300.8566

61.72%

15 Anderson, John TY58358 U Production Minor N N N N 299.1374

61.37%

16 Tryon, Tom A60566 D Single Stack Major N N N N 296.3426

60.79%

17 Harris, TJ Pen U Single Stack Major N N N N 272.3139

55.86%

18 Skeeters, Ken FY2113 C Single Stack Major N N N N 264.2939

54.22%

19 Hackett, Justin U Single Stack Major N N N N 255.0129

52.32%

20 Thompson, Frank L2567 C Single Stack Major N N N N 249.3546

51.15%

21 Anderson, Jennifer U Production Minor Y N N N 243.1040

49.87%

22 Moore, John A54543 D Production Minor N N N N Junior 234.0521

48.02%

23 Davis, Ryan A60496 D Single Stack Major N N N N 230.6964

47.33%

24 Ironmonger, Gordon U Production Minor N N N N 215.5731

44.22%

25 Logsdon, Ron A28346 U Single Stack Major N N N N 214.4231

43.99%

26 Ironmonger, Brando A64910 U Revolver Major N N N N 174.9559

35.89%

27 Barr, A.T. A63882 D Single Stack Minor N N N N 162.1163

33.26%

28 Miller, Walter U Single Stack Major N N N N 149.8500

30.74%

29 Lawreur, Brett U Production Minor N N N N 134.9101

27.68%

30 Kerkhoff, Brad U Production Minor N N N N 62.3387

12.79%

If I haven't given you my copy of Saul's book, I need to. If you look at my classifiers you can tell exactly when I read it. We've talked about that book before, but sometimes we need a reminder...

I think one of the issues is that as an RO, you spend all of your prep time on a stage running other shooters. It runs into your visualization time. Let's work on that in Ohio next weekend. Even on the seemingly simple stages I run through it in my head 10 times or more. That's the only way I was able to keep up with you on stage one.

Here's another thought. When we were lower on the pecking order we had more experienced shooters around us to watch and learn from. Now that we can run up front with those very shooters, it means that to improve we have to figure it out for ourselves. Does that make sense?

If I haven't given you my copy of Saul's book, I need to. If you look at my classifiers you can tell exactly when I read it. We've talked about that book before, but sometimes we need a reminder...

I think one of the issues is that as an RO, you spend all of your prep time on a stage running other shooters. It runs into your visualization time. Let's work on that in Ohio next weekend. Even on the seemingly simple stages I run through it in my head 10 times or more. That's the only way I was able to keep up with you on stage one.

Here's another thought. When we were lower on the pecking order we had more experienced shooters around us to watch and learn from. Now that we can run up front with those very shooters, it means that to improve we have to figure it out for ourselves. Does that make sense?

That is one of the problems, for one we only had 5 shooters on our squad and that WON"T happen again. I do run the stages through in my head but for some reason I'm not running them through enough I guess do to the fact that I'm trying to run the match I guess. I think sundays problem was the lack of a big enough squad to distribute the work. The stages where not that difficult but on "something like baseball" I should have done what you did and I should have seen that. I need to figure out a way to run the match and still do what I need to do to win.

2nd out of 30 and less than 10% off 1st doesn't look bad to me, what did I miss?

Could expectations be getting in the way? (I struggle with this, often)

Not really expectations, just making simple mistakes that I should be making at this level, like getting a jam because I stuck my gun into a port and it hit the top of the port. Granted I don't think I would have won this match if I hadn't of done that but it bugs me when I so stuff that I've learned not to do a looooong time ago.

That is one of the places that I too have fallen off the wagon guys. I used to look at every stage the same as I would if I were at the Nationals. Lately, I catch myself just walking up and shooting, and that is an easy trap to fall back into. If you don't have about 8 people on a squad, it becomes more difficult to prepare yourself as a shooter, and that happens at BGSL to all of us when we are the hosts. Hang in there, you are close to something, and from here it will take practice and focus.

Corey, let me add one clarification that a lot of people don't do.....you may be doing this already but it isn't uncommon to find many in the upper classes that don't.....

....when 'running the stage through your head,' you need to be able to see the targets with your eyes closed (as you will see them from the position you will shoot) as opposed to just knowing there are targets in this particular position.

Despite having their game plan "memorized," how many times have you seen folks enter a position and still look a little lost/less smooth because they were 'searching for targets?' While they knew there were four targets back there, they didn't have the visualization down to a detailed level and thus were easily just a little out of position and/or simply could not remember exactly where to transition for the next target.....thus a few pauses or slow transitions.

I watched your match video. What’s the story with the slow “Settling” of the gun post shot? It seems like this happens on the slower/tighter shots. This slow settling of the gun sets your shooting speed in some cases. Do you really want the speed of your shots to be limited to this settling situation? If the gun returns the sights instantly you can see the sight picture faster and break the next shot sooner.

There could also be some optimization in the stage planning. In a couple of cases you are moving to a position to make a blocked target visible and waiting to shoot the blocked target first then others that are open before getting to that position. You could be shooting the open targets as you are moving to the position that makes the blocked target visible. Just some thoughts on what I see.

I watched your match video. What’s the story with the slow “Settling” of the gun post shot? It seems like this happens on the slower/tighter shots. This slow settling of the gun sets your shooting speed in some cases. Do you really want the speed of your shots to be limited to this settling situation? If the gun returns the sights instantly you can see the sight picture faster and break the next shot sooner.

There could also be some optimization in the stage planning. In a couple of cases you are moving to a position to make a blocked target visible and waiting to shoot the blocked target first then others that are open before getting to that position. You could be shooting the open targets as you are moving to the position that makes the blocked target visible. Just some thoughts on what I see.

I'm not quite sure I understand what your talking about with the "Settling" part. Could you reference one of my videos and time mark it? As for the moving into the an area with a blocked target, yet I TRY to come into a position shooting and leave shooting but it doesn't always work out that way sometimes at the locals due to the, Oh I have to run the shooter, score, pick up brass, reset steel, paste targets, answer MD questions, etc.

Corey, let me add one clarification that a lot of people don't do.....you may be doing this already but it isn't uncommon to find many in the upper classes that don't.....

....when 'running the stage through your head,' you need to be able to see the targets with your eyes closed (as you will see them from the position you will shoot) as opposed to just knowing there are targets in this particular position.

Despite having their game plan "memorized," how many times have you seen folks enter a position and still look a little lost/less smooth because they were 'searching for targets?' While they knew there were four targets back there, they didn't have the visualization down to a detailed level and thus were easily just a little out of position and/or simply could not remember exactly where to transition for the next target.....thus a few pauses or slow transitions.

That is what I do at majors. When I don't have to focus on anything but shooting I can tell you where targets are at pretty much any major stage I've shot this year. It just the local stuff that I seem to get all wrapped up in the match running thing and not the shooting part.

Check out the below time sections in your match video. You break the shot, then the recoil moves the whole gun up and to the rear slightly. The "Settling" is when you recover from the recoil and "ease" the gun back down to your normal index position before breaking the next shot.

Time ranges

48 - 51

57 - 58

104 - 107

Check out the below time sections in your match video. You break the shot, then the recoil moves the whole gun up and to the rear slightly. The "Settling" is when you recover from the recoil and "ease" the gun back down to your normal index position before breaking the next shot.

Time ranges

48 - 51

57 - 58

104 - 107

I see what your saying but short of a lighter recoil spring, I run a 14# now, or maybe better grip I don't see how to speed the gun up much. I'll be the first to admit that my grip isn't the best in the world. Also, I'm not 100% trusting my shooting right now to go faster on shots I should be going faster on, diagonal hard cover at 10 yards. The hard cover shots, head shot, and the moving NS stage should probably have been faster.

Here is the Kicker, the stage with the Head shot I had the 2nd fastest time but had a Mike, notice the long pause and head shake. The stage with the hard cover I won, 2nd fastest time again. The stage with all the No shoots and movement I won, again 2nd fastest time.

I watched a friend's video again, I do think I need some grip work as there is more movement in my gun that his. Granted he is a better shooter but there is one point I need some work.

The thing that is strange is that the “Settling” isn’t happening all the time. Only when you are doing more difficult shots. You will have to do some soul searching in live fire practice to see what the difference in grip/arm tension is between shooting close and fast verses these slower tight shots. It sounds strange, but maybe you are gripping the gun too hard when shooting slow and it is transmitting more of the recoil into your arms instead of just letting the gun muzzle flip more? If you look at the stage where there is a lot of close blasting and you are mowing through the rounds, you can see that the gun is muzzle flipping a lot more than when you shoot slow.

I also agree with you on getting thrown under the bus for stage breakdown and planning when you are stuck ROing and working most of the time during the match. I have been bitten by this in the past and am making a new rule to not RO until after I shoot the stage, or RO up to the point where there are 5 shooters ahead of me and then I will stop so I can properly program the stage. This gets ultra frustrating when you have the bulk of the squad chit chatting, sitting round, or standing there doing nothing but refuse to RO, Tape or Brass.

On tighter shots, sometimes shooters will put more mental energy into perfect trigger pull and give up some recoil control to ensure the gun does NOT move until the shot breaks.

I do this when shooting at 50y and 100y. I'm not worried about recoil management only perfect trigger manipulation and sight picture.

2nd out of 30 and less than 10% off 1st doesn't look bad to me, what did I miss?

Could expectations be getting in the way? (I struggle with this, often)

I missed 1st place :) I have a very high competition drive. I want to win at everything I do. Sometimes it gets annoying lol.

WOW what a match in Circleville OH this weekend. Was on my usual Labor day weekend camping trip and have had a match of some sort every time and this on takes the cake! 4 field stages and a classifier and man where they fun! A little intimidating at first but we got them figured out.

Here is the match video:

I took HOA in SS by 40% but here is the combined finish:

1 Vogel, Bob A49056 GM Limited 10 Major N N N N 660.0000 100.00%

2 Fadorsen, John A40907 M Open Major N N N N 562.0853 85.16%

3 Keen, Chris A46956 M Open Major N N N N 511.4833 77.50%

4 Repasky, Nick A50721 B Open Major N N N N 495.9139 75.14%

5 Barcelo, Micah A55030 GM Production Minor N N N N 492.7702 74.66%

6 Hopkins, Shaun A56938 A Limited Major N N N N 492.1740 74.57%

7 Steele, Rick L2137 B Open Major N N N N 473.0735 71.68%

8 Stouffer, Bob A31894 B Open Major N N N N 463.2918 70.20%

9 Estill, Corey A57351 U Single Stack Major N N N N 455.8275 69.06%

10 Ostrowske, Dave A61320 A Limited Major N N N N 455.0822 68.95%

there where 50 total shooters!

Something I just noticed a little while ago, and while it might not seem impressive to you, considering the range of some of the targets I was quite happy with it!

http://www.uspsa.org/mr/members/summary.ph...mp;uspsa=A57351

I had 104 Alphas, 4 Bravos, 19 Charlies, 2 Deltas, and NO penalties of any kind! I know I wasn't calling my shots well on the poppers on the popper stage and didn't do well on the star, didn't remember my sight alignment issue with this gun at that range, but I'm pretty happy with the result on the paper!

The steel gods were kind to you on the last plate of the Texas star. Some splatter must have hit the last plate and knocked it off.

I already had a reshoot on that star before that run. It would either all fall off for major loads or not at all for some minor loads <_< I hate it when steel does that as it makes me stop and think and I don't like to think, I want to shoot what I have planned in my head 100 times.

What a weekend. I've had sinus congestion all weekend, shot a steel match sat, and was my first anniversary today.

Anyway, from looking at my steel videos I really need to work on calling my shots better on those close plates. For some reason I take the time to call them on the long stuff and I won that stage both runs.

SteelShowdown0909.pdf

Edited by steel1212

What a weekend. I've had sinus congestion all weekend, shot a steel match sat, and was my first anniversary today.

Anyway, from looking at my steel videos I really need to work on calling my shots better on those close plates. For some reason I take the time to call them on the long stuff and I won that stage both runs.

How about some shorter videos. Us out here in the sticks with very very very very very slow connections can't load a video that large. :goof:

Edited by MTBfarms

How about some shorter videos. Us out here in the sticks with very very very very very slow connections can't load a video that large. :goof:

Yeah, the steel videos are large do to the time to film all 5 runs. Plus they really aren't for your viewing pleasure, more for my learning pleasure :-)

My 9mm Single Stack is back at the Doctor. I had 2 Jams at the IDPA match that I know cost me the class win and probably the division win if not HOA. Once I get that fixed that will be one sweet little gun!

I still have to work on my transitions....slow...slow...slow. I gotta SNAP to that next target and I'm not doing that.

Edited by steel1212

I shot farely well today. My equipment on the other hand didn't run as well. Word to the wise, don't tinker with your gear the night before the match. I did figure it out, switch mags and was good to go the rest of the stages. Put up a classifier that will move me closer to my goal as well.

I shot farely well today. My equipment on the other hand didn't run as well. Word to the wise, don't tinker with your gear the night before the match. I did figure it out, switch mags and was good to go the rest of the stages. Put up a classifier that will move me closer to my goal as well.

A few weeks ago I saw a guy build a gun just before a match started. (It did run though)

Tinkeritus is a terrible addiction that needs a support group to overcome. :roflol:

It all worked out in the end I guess :cheers:

1 Corey Still 43 U Single Stack Major No No No No 486.1564 100.00%

2 Kevin Carroll 41 TY33759 A Single Stack Major No No No No 465.1276 95.67%

3 Steve Woodward 17 A61777 C Single Stack Major No No No No 364.0191 74.88%

4 Tom Tryon 42 A60566 D Single Stack Major No No No No 356.8382 73.40%

5 Dave Schattel 5 A3396 C Single Stack Major No No No No Super Senior 330.0327 67.89%

6 Adam Timmerman 20 A61622 C Single Stack Major No No No No 284.3027 58.48%

7 Ryan Davis 40 A60496 D Single Stack Major No No No No 264.2530 54.36%

8 Walter Bieniek 49 A65742 U Single Stack Major No No No No 240.5242 49.47%

I won every stage except the stage where my mags took a dump on me and I finished 4th on that one.

Guess I gotta remember to write my number down :-)