Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone shoot limited minor?

glock10mmman

Im looking for a para 40, but have found two really good deals on the 9mm 18 round models.

Here are my questions....How many people really shoot limited in minor?? I know of only one gun in our club, and he does it with a beretta. I know you will be scored against in minor, but Ive been shooting production for awhile now and its all minor.

Thanks

g10

Nope...not on purpose anyway... ;) Old question asked here many times.

This is the answer you get from 99% of the people.

How come? 18 rounds with a plus 6 pad would make around 24 rounds or so for limited.

g10

But will it stay within 140mm? If not, you'll find yourself shooting open minor :surprise:

dj

How come? 18 rounds with a plus 6 pad would make around 24 rounds or so for limited.

g10

But will it stay within 140mm? If not, you'll find yourself shooting open minor :surprise:

dj

Yes these are the dawson etc 140mm pads. If I went open I would go to major, but cant with 9mm in limited. My problem is the cost of bullets are so dang high with 40 no adays.

g10

g10

dj

Yes these are the dawson etc 140mm pads. If I went open I would go to major, but cant with 9mm in limited. My problem is the cost of bullets are so dang high with 40 no adays.

g10

If you go over the 140mm limit it automatically puts you in open. Its not a choice thing.

I just skipped the argument and gave the answer... :cheers:

Do a search. :devil:

Not trying to argue, and I am tired of searching through hundreded of threads for a few answers.

g10

And some folks are tired of answering the same question 76 times. Shooting minor is shooting dead. A few at the very top can get away with it, 95% of us will not.--------------Larry

Shooting 9mm major, in open with a limited gun would suck. And with most aviable 9mm limited type guns it would probaly be dangerous. If you want to play in limited buy a .40 hi cap. If you want to shoot 9mm major in open buy a real open gun.----------Larry

Im looking for a para 40, but have found two really good deals on the 9mm 18 round models.

Here are my questions....How many people really shoot limited in minor?? I know of only one gun in our club, and he does it with a beretta. I know you will be scored against in minor, but Ive been shooting production for awhile now and its all minor.

Thanks

g10

I think this might be the answer you are looking for, If a 9mm is the only gun you have available, then by all means go for it. If you have been shooting production you must be used to shooting all a's.. You have to be shooting all A's to be any kind of competitive shooting minor. Yes the extra rounds will help, but really not enough. I have limited guns in both 40 and 9mm, every once in a while I will break out the 9 just for fun. I have done pretty well with it on a local level but would never try it at any other level.

Good luck in your choice.

Edited by hdgun

Hi There,

Everyone says no don't do it. Now I am a C class shooter. I lucked into a trade on a great SVI limited gun in .38 Suoer the original owner set up for 3 gun. I do on occassion use it at club level matches in Limited (truth be told I usually use it in limited 10 as well) Now if you are a upper A or master or GM shooting Minor would probably be stupid, but I love the minor recoil (I have never liked the recoil of a major 40) if I shoot limited I can get 24 rounds to start and I can do ok shooting at C level. Now at a area or major match it wouldn't be a great idea but I actually prefer shooting minor to major. With the cost of bullet/ammo prices a bunch of local guys say they may start shooting it as well as the extra $30.00 to $40.00 per thousand for bullets just doesn't pay. Plus I think that if you get accurate enough with shooting minor, you are better at calling your shots and shooting major as well.

Thanks

g10

You may have fun but you won't be competitive. There aren't many stages where the extra rounds would help you enough to offset the loss in points. There's almost always a place to reload and if you shoot slow enough to shoot all A's you're going to get smoked by the other Limited shooters. With major they can get away with 90-95% of the points...which is quite a few C's really (on a 30 round stage that's somewhere from 8 to 15 C's). Imagine how much faster you could shoot if you only had to shoot roughly half A's.

I am not a true limited shooter. I shoot limited maybe once a year at the Texas State Limited Championship.

As such, I have never intentionally shot major in limited. From 1996-2000, I ran a 9mm Tanfoglio. In 2001 I switched to STI and run a 5" Eagle in 9mm. My Standard division pistol is a Tru-sight in 38super. I took a four year break from limited in 2001 to 2005.

My USPSA classification percentage in Limited is 83.75%. In 1999-2000 I averaged 85.05%, with multiple penalties, at TSLC with 12 of the 13 Texas GM's shooting the match, but this is not the same as running the nationals where I was 79% against TGO with one penalty in the match.

Is it easy running minor? NO. Is it fun? YES, especially in 96-97 when most were still running 45's.

If you want to do it, then do it. Just remember that everytime you miss the A-zone you are losing double the points than the folks shooting major for the same hit (I consider D's a lucky non miss).

my $.02

K

I am not a true limited shooter. I shoot limited maybe once a year at the Texas State Limited Championship.

As such, I have never intentionally shot major in limited. From 1996-2000, I ran a 9mm Tanfoglio. In 2001 I switched to STI and run a 5" Eagle in 9mm. My Standard division pistol is a Tru-sight in 38super. I took a four year break from limited in 2001 to 2005.

My USPSA classification percentage in Limited is 83.75%. In 1999-2000 I averaged 85.05%, with multiple penalties, at TSLC with 12 of the 13 Texas GM's shooting the match, but this is not the same as running the nationals where I was 79% against TGO with one penalty in the match.

Is it easy running minor? NO. Is it fun? YES, especially in 96-97 when most were still running 45's.

If you want to do it, then do it. Just remember that everytime you miss the A-zone you are losing double the points than the folks shooting major for the same hit (I consider D's a lucky non miss).

my $.02

K

Thats what I was looking for.

Thanks alot

g10

I've won my class shooting minor at the state level, but it would be exceptionally difficult in an Area/Nationals setting.

At the club level...fire it up! There is alot to be learned when looking at a stage from different capacity perspectives.